EMT/PCP/EMT-A/Paramedic/ACP whats in a name? [Small Rant]

mobey

• 1 month later...

If EMT title offends you that much go get your EMT_P then truly no one would be able to harsh on you for calling your self a paramedic and you would damn well know you earned the title even more so than you do now

i as an EMT/PCP (took the course here in alberta ) really don't let my title affect me the public calls me a paramedic anyway and if i correct them i'm automatically demoted to EVO lol so really its all about do you do your job the best you can and do you feel good about what you do if yes great if no its probably because you know you could do more ie the EMT-P program i for one like the different titles feels like more of an acomplishment when you get that fancy little -p on your shoulder maybe thats just me or maybe that's just big bad alberta brainwashing who knows its not like i cant change my title ;) right

ps sorry for the bad spelling

If EMT title offends you that much go get your EMT_P then truly no one would be able to harsh on you for calling your self a paramedic and you would damn well know you earned the title even more so than you do now

i as an EMT/PCP (took the course here in alberta ) really don't let my title affect me the public calls me a paramedic anyway and if i correct them i'm automatically demoted to EVO lol so really its all about do you do your job the best you can and do you feel good about what you do if yes great if no its probably because you know you could do more ie the EMT-P program i for one like the different titles feels like more of an acomplishment when you get that fancy little -p on your shoulder maybe thats just me or maybe that's just big bad alberta brainwashing who knows its not like i cant change my title ;) right

ps sorry for the bad spelling

Did you read this whole thread??

First off I cannot obtain my EMT-P because that course is not offered in Canada anymore!

Secondly, as long as I have the $$ I will be starting my Advanced Care Paramedic in Sept.

And lastly, I think you missed the point of this thread all together. I do not want to be called a Paramedic due to the fact I wish I was an Advanced Care Paramedic (or what was EMT-P), it is to be recognized for the competencies that I have met (that EMT's never have) and to progress the profession.

Really, I mean really, are you happy with the same title as John-Bob down the street who took a 2 week course 12 years ago, and doesn't even know how to pronounce the word physiology?

In Sask PCP's can draw up Epy to administer IM, Cardiac monitoring, and Ventolin neb. EMT's cannot do any of those things because they are recognized as having lower education. So if you were applying for a job in Sask which are you? EMT or PCP?

If your answer is PCP then why would you not demand that recognition in AB?

Here in Alberta we are all PCP's now. We became that when we took our GAP training. On top of that schools have been teaching to the CMA standard for years now with the added Alberta stuff. So here in Alberta if you are hired as an EMT-A then they are hiring you as a PCP. But still here in Alberta just because you are hired as a PCP it doesnt mean that you get to use those skills right away. With some services you have to pass their exams to do the skills.

Are you in Alberta?

If you are what does ACP stand for in Alberta??

Advance Care Paramedic or does it stand for Alberta College of Paramedics??

So as i see it the College needs to eather change its name or stick with the titles it has

Here in Alberta we are all PCP's now. We became that when we took our GAP training. On top of that schools have been teaching to the CMA standard for years now with the added Alberta stuff. So here in Alberta if you are hired as an EMT-A then they are hiring you as a PCP. But still here in Alberta just because you are hired as a PCP it doesnt mean that you get to use those skills right away. With some services you have to pass their exams to do the skills.

Are you in Alberta?

If you are what does ACP stand for in Alberta??

Advance Care Paramedic or does it stand for Alberta College of Paramedics??

So as i see it the College needs to eather change its name or stick with the titles it has

ACP= Advanced Care Paramedic

ACofP= Alberta college of paramedics

That was easy :roll:

Please read the first 4-5 posts to fully understand this thread.

Or at least let it die, I am getting tired of reapeating myself.

sounds like you dont know your own skills caus as an EMT-A ACP lets me use EPI and ECG IV therapy etc it all depends on what your medical director does and i think your taking toomuch offence to what i said im just saying who cares its about how you treat not what your title is i beleave you said it earlier how you have met paramedics you would not trust with your cat and you were refering to advanced care paramedics

sounds like you dont know your own skills caus as an EMT-A ACP lets me use EPI and ECG IV therapy etc it all depends on what your medical director does and i think your taking toomuch offence to what i said im just saying who cares its about how you treat not what your title is i beleave you said it earlier how you have met paramedics you would not trust with your cat and you were refering to advanced care paramedics

I was making a point...I know my scope.

The point was if PCP's have advanced knowledge why would you not want to be called a PCP. That was the reason for the comparison to Sask.

• 2 weeks later...

"Did you read this whole thread??

First off I cannot obtain my EMT-P because that course is not offered in Canada anymore!"

Uh... yeah, I don't know how you can justify that statement. EMT-P is, of course, offered in Alberta. And believe me, ACoP will not be changing the title anytime soon. Check your registration card, and tell me what it says. Even if all EMT-P courses in Alberta are recognized at the ACP level by CMA, they are still designated as EMT-P Programs. Ditto with EMT/PCP. Because if they weren't, they would not include the AOCP.

:P

ACoP stands as a shining example of FAILURE to all those in other provinces who think that having your own College is some kind of magical path to instant professional growth. They remind me of a crap union that comes in and takes your money, but really gives you nothing in return.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.