EMT/PCP/EMT-A/Paramedic/ACP whats in a name? [Small Rant]

mobey

ACoP stands as a shining example of FAILURE to all those in other provinces who think that having your own College is some kind of magical path to instant professional growth. They remind me of a crap union that comes in and takes your money, but really gives you nothing in return.

How helpful.

"Did you read this whole thread??

First off I cannot obtain my EMT-P because that course is not offered in Canada anymore!"

Uh... yeah, I don't know how you can justify that statement. EMT-P is, of course, offered in Alberta. :D

Yet when you complete the program the certificate says "Advanced Care Paramedic" not "EMT-P" hmmm But the ACoP calls you an EMT-P.

So what is your credential?? What the plaque says or what the ACoP and instructor calls you?

If you took a course in cooking recognized canada wide as a "Chef" course, but the school and local gov't called you a "cook" so they could keep your wage low, what would your credentials be?

Your school issued cert says Chef but your nametag says Cook.

hmmm I can see how difficult this must be for those who have been fed a load of $hit for so many years by ACoP. I guess they are good at one thing after all!!

All rightie then. You can just continue to call yourself a "paramedic" in Alberta and see how much respect you get from your EMT-P co-workers. Clearly, everyone involved in PAC/ACoP has no idea what they're talking about, no education to back up their decisions, no experience in this area. You, obviously, know more than they do and are in a better position to make decisions.

Yes, it MUST be that I'm being "fed" from ACoP, couldn't have anything to do with working along side with PAC, CMA, etc etc. Couldn't be that I'm simply educated in the processes and history, must be that I just buy into whatever I'm told. Yeah. Sure. That must be it.

Yes, it MUST be that I'm being "fed" from ACoP, couldn't have anything to do with working along side with PAC, CMA, etc etc. Couldn't be that I'm simply educated in the processes and history, must be that I just buy into whatever I'm told. Yeah. Sure. That must be it.

Thanks for the clarification.

ACoP stands as a shining example of FAILURE to all those in other provinces who think that having your own College is some kind of magical path to instant professional growth. They remind me of a crap union that comes in and takes your money, but really gives you nothing in return.

NOT exactly, Dust nothing of any value comes easily, well at least for me, there is no magic answer for anything just hard work, for those provinces that do have some form of regulation....just look to who actually runs THEM?

ps try next door, and looking down from where I sit...um to the right, oopsy outside voice again.

1- In fact ACoP it is a legislated requirement, a government deal the Conservative government legislated under HDA and that membership must pay dues .... yet in actuality the College has yet to be accepted under the Health Professions Act .... its only been 7 years after all, it is government, legally it is still not an approved by government,funny thing is they act like they are.

That said with the right leadership .... read on don't skip down right away.

2- ACoP was previously called APPA (Alberta Pre-hospital Professions Association) it was in part set up with the amalgamation of REPA and REMTA (no point going there) APPA AND AOAA set very high standards as goals from inception ... as a result Alberta CAN boast some of the highest levels of Training in the WORLD .... PERIOD! as without this anyone, I mean any Tom Dick or Hairy Jane could call themselves a Paramedic/ EMT of this I am truely pleased, if your not as a member happy then there are options to change things .... called VOTING on ISSUES @ the AGM.

(stay tuned for those that "may qualify" for reciprocity ... maybe very soon) its called the turd way ... don't you just love a good mystery ?

3- Both titles are protected ... if one is a registered member they are subject to fines and investigation for false reprentation it they use these titles .... much the same as a COP.

4- Don't dare go negative about PAC, even Bledsoe monitors what those boys and girls are up too.

5-Gap, was intended to improve the care to Albertans, and yes drag the EMT level up to come near the Ontario PCP (previously called EMCA) what a hick up there, but we are past that hurdle .... move forward. If you want to call yourself PCP go to BC they have lots, but just a few ACP .... hmm why is that again?

6- Frustration with day to day operations ? Oh me 3, but all one needs a good leader to set the right tenor, think the office staff does't repeat the same story(s)at nauseum ?

7- So was anyone present "those spewing crap in EMT city" when we laid Mike Jolin to rest last year? I stood with great PRIDE beside President T. Jalenka and that this college did the moral correct thing (in passing for those that bitch about thier fees) there are 2 little boys out there that will grow up knowing ACOP CARED and showed the respect due, hey if it was you, we would do the same thing again, let try not ok?

In closing YES Alberta EMRs EMTs and PARAMEDICS are concerned with their futures this is one of the reasons we are so critical with our governing body, its NOT a social club, never was, never will be, not a union, period. A regulatory body plain and simple (well accept for when we let our hair down at the End of the AGM) its a hoot.

Point is without a viable opposition any democracy fails ! Those members that spew shyt really need to ask before leaping to conclusions.... education in the history of the college is huge to understanding the "WHY"

AND SOME OF the ISSUES we disagree upon, are subject to change that's Democracy for you !

cheers

ps Vote for me @ the next AGM (the man with the yellow hat) YES a shameless plug.

sounds like you dont know your own skills caus as an EMT-A ACP lets me use EPI and ECG IV therapy etc it all depends on what your medical director does

The college allows these skills in EMT scope of practice, thats if your registered, and correct your Medical Director aka "local medical authority" remember we are still under the guidelines of HDA, yes approves or disaproves based on need, and s/he malpractic insurance, (a biggy) again for clearity PCP is not a recognised title in alberta EMS EDU is absolutly correct, well as of yet, calling oneself that is very open to a huge debate in itself, pist : It imay be percieved "to a lay person" some thing that you are not, one complaint and yor looking a ACR or ... a C+C investigation.

Can your ego or future job security really take that ? I digress.

• 7 months later...

Ok, i'll add to this, being very new to the EMS community (i'm finishing my in car portion of my practicum) i'll add my thoughts. In Saskatchewan (I took the same course with the same instructors as Mobey) I am trained as a PCP, if you look at our protocols they list competencies for EMT's, as well as PCP's. The skillset for a PCP is higher than that of an EMT in Saskatchewan. Yet when I work, my badges say EMT, why should I be forced to use a term that denotes lower levels of training that what I have received?

Ok, i'll add to this, being very new to the EMS community (i'm finishing my in car portion of my practicum) i'll add my thoughts. In Saskatchewan (I took the same course with the same instructors as Mobey) I am trained as a PCP, if you look at our protocols they list competencies for EMT's, as well as PCP's. The skillset for a PCP is higher than that of an EMT in Saskatchewan. Yet when I work, my badges say EMT, why should I be forced to use a term that denotes lower levels of training that what I have received?

Aha, my flatland friend, the only reason your nametag says EMT is because of the service you are involved in.

Did you know it is one of the lowest paying services in Sask? can you believe it!! I worked about 2 hrs south of you and made a third more than my buddies at ..... well a major city.

Get this, as a PCP, I actually had a different scope than my EMT co-workers. My health region chose to recognize the cert and bam... more money, wider scope of practice, little more respect too.

The "old" EMT's that chose not to "bridge" up to the PCP level are forever stuck slapping on O2 and racing to the hospital mumbling something about how they save Paramedics, and don't need that book learnin.

So why does your major city choose not to call you PCP..... well the same reason as Ab, so they can keep the pay low, and make sure we don't get any respect so we keep our heads down and don't ever stand up for ourselves.

BTW: for all you narrowminded monkeys who suggested I go to medic school..... I am, midterms comin up soon...... Hell no I am not giving up! EMT's should be called PCP's, and EMT-P's should be called ACP's!

The more I grow into a professional healthcare provider, the stronger I feel obligated to advance the profession.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.