EMT/PCP/EMT-A/Paramedic/ACP whats in a name? [Small Rant]

mobey

Quote Bleep That's because, in many cases, it is believed that their knowledge is superior to 'the rest of Canada' (not specifically, but the general PCP standard), and thus calling themselves PCPs is actually a step back. Don't shoot the messenger, by the way, these are not my opinions, but the explanations I've been provided over the last 5 years as these changes have been occurring.

Soo what is the answer.

If the EMT's today are far superior to the EMT's of yesterday, heck even (some) superior to the PCP's what do we call them?? Seems rediculous to keep calling them EMT's right? they are far better than that.

I know when I think EMT I think of someone running into the house, slapping on O2, Calling ALS and driving like hell to the hospital, saying things like "scoop and scoot", "because that's what I was taught", and "EMT's save Paramedics".

Not the way I want to be portrayed!!

Well... just because Nurses of today are better educated (supposedly) than nurses of 25 years ago, well, that doesn't mean that they need to change their title. Don't forget that even those EMTs from back in the day have had to update their training and do continuing competency through ACP every year. (Effective or not). IF they're still active.

Secondly, if that's what you think of when you think of EMTs... that's too bad. I think that the general perception is vastly more educated than that. Instead of asking an entire province to change their system, why not try changing your perception? What's in a name... not as important as what YOU bring to that title.

Thirdly, I wouldn't worry so much about how you are perceived (and I haven't yet figured out whose perception you are concerned about beyond your own), so much as the actual quality of care that you are providing. Let's not get too confused over what is important and what is less so.

If it's the national/international EMS community that you're concerned about (and, again, I don't know if you are) by all means, call yourself a PCP or PCP/EMT and if asked, just indicated that the EMT covers a different scope than PCP, therefore you are recognized as both. *shrug* makes sense to me.

So who's titles do we want to use??

You don't like the EMT title and want to use PCP, ACP, CCP where does ICP fit into these titles? CMA I believe uses the three above (PCP,ACP,CCP). So which province or regulation group should we follow.

Oh and one other thing, if we switch titles what does ACP stand for in the province of Alberta? Adavance Care Paramedic or does it stand for Alberta College of Paramedics?

As posted in above post "I just wrote my ACP exam" so does he mean his Advanced Paramedic Exam or does he mean his Alberta College of Paramedics exam.

Oh and yes I do know what he means

Well... just because Nurses of today are better educated (supposedly) than nurses of 25 years ago, well, that doesn't mean that they need to change their title.

Good point!! However I do not believe nurses are fighting to be recognised as professionals.

Let me explain my reasoning behind my views of EMT's.

I have always worked rural EMS. Coming from Sask us "Newbies" call ourselves PCP's and the EMT's even after finishing "PCP equivelancy" still call themselves EMT's.

From my own experiences (about 20 or so agencies I have been involved with) the way those who took the PCP course think and conduct themselves is alot different from those veteran EMT's. I doubt I need to explain this to someone in education.

Yes I absolutly agree there are alot of EMT's who have grown with the times and worked hard to meet or exceed the NOCP's, but the thing you have to realise is there are alot who have not. There may be more old school EMT's hiding in rural EMS canada wide than you think.

In Sask most companies won't even hire an EMT, minimum requirement is PCP. This is for good reason.

The perception I am worried about is ACofP's. I think we (paramedics) earned our titles and I for one would like to wear it with pride. It's not about being "better" or "Smarter", It's just about professional recognition.

How do you see EMS in AB progressing over the next 5 years?

I can tell you in Sask the EMT's fighting progression are stuck in small hidden towns till retirement.

The scope of practice is being increased (for PCP's only).

The pay scale for PCP's is greater(than AB's and EMT's).

Sask college of Paramedics is creating individual learning modules (in service exams) to ensure each practitioner is competent.

By doing these things I believe they are on the right track to making a profession out of EMS.

Being new to AB, other than a scope of practice that is completely unjustified by nonexistant continuing education standards, I dont see how AB is so progressive.

Lovin the debate bleep :D

I'm not sure why the names are all different. I would love to see something that is seen across the nation as opposed to provincially.

As far as I am concerned when talking to other health care professionals I am an EMT, anyone else who doesnt have a basic understanding of healthcare I'm an advanced care paramedic to prevent having to explain and going into details. They hear what they want to hear and thats it, I'm not any different than anyone else.

You ask "If AB EMT's have just as extensive knowledge of Ilness, Injury, and A&P as the rest of Canada why would the not want to be called "Paramedics"?"

That's because, in many cases, it is believed that their knowledge is superior to 'the rest of Canada' (not specifically, but the general PCP standard), and thus calling themselves PCPs is actually a step back. Don't shoot the messenger, by the way, these are not my opinions, but the explanations I've been provided over the last 5 years as these changes have been occurring.

Okay, math is far from my strong suit. And I acknowledge that there are vast differences between individual schools. However, my simple math says that -- unless you are packing two years worth of education into one year, without cutting any corners -- there is not the slightest chance that AB EMT knowledge is anywhere close to "superior" to the ON PCP. All things being equal, hour for hour, the AB programme is inferior, regardless of how many neato "skills" you spend ten minutes teaching your EMTs.

Now, once we hit the advanced level, you can start to compare favourably to Ontario, on a school-by-school basis. But that's a whole nother story.

Something to chew on.....

Kanyo college PCP program - Fort Mac AB

Didactic 10 weeks

Practicum ambulance - 192

Practicum hospital - 48

Nait (Alberta)

Didactic 300 hrs

Practicum ambulance - 200hrs

Practicum hospital - 40hrs

SIAST (Saskatoon Sask)

Bidactic 396 hrs

Practicum ambulance - 200hrs or till competencies are met

Hospital rotations - 48 hrs or till competencies are met

Ontario

Didactic - 1600hrs (enough said)

Malispina University college (B.C.)

Didactic 211 hrs

Hospital rotation - 44hrs

Ambulance practicum - (Not specified competency based)

Maritime school of paramedicine (Nova scotia)

Didactic 10 months full time

Hospital & Ambulance Practicum 386hrs

Hard for me to believe Alberta is a "Leader" in education in Canada :roll:

Ummm just to amend your details about NAIT Mobey...Ambulance practicum is 8 to16 weeks, depending on the call volume of the ambulance service you have been assigned to. I do believe it is required to complete 300h in addition to meeting all competencies (including 25 emerg calls).

As Dust commented...regarding Alberta being a leader or not... it is VERY difficult to compare between provinces. Comparing one province which uses a top heavy educational approach (Alberta with the highest level of practitioner having the longest program) to another which is bottom heavy (i.e. Ontario which requires the lower level of practitioner to have the longest program) is like comparing apples to oranges. Your information above is very informative...although a little incomplete. I would be interested to see it taken one step further with a comparison of the subsequent training to the Advanced care level. That might provide readers with a better picture.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.