Detroit EMT-I Wants To Relocate To Calgary

Sincere

Don't know about other provinces but nursing pays well in BC. Don't let them fool you they are adequately compensated in this province.

LOL! I see nurses whining about their pay is a universal phenomenon. :)

Half the people in my nursing class already had a BS in another field, and were switching to nursing because both the job market and the pay were so much better. We know the real score. Yet all the hausfraus who have never done anything in their lives but nursing still think they're getting screwed. Boo hoo. :roll:

Although, things are definitely not as good as they were in the 80's and 90's in nursing, with the big shortage. And ever since Hilary Clinton started running her mouth to convince people that they had a God given right to our services for free, we have definitely been devalued by the public. Instead of a valuable service that is worth paying for, healthcare -- including EMS -- has become just another freebie that the public expects and takes for granted. Consequently, things have seriously stagnated, and nursing wages are not keeping up with inflation.

EMC, the company that I work for here in NS, has just taken over ambulance services in New Brunswick, and they're due to "go-live" on Dec. 20 of this year. At present, they're looking for 200+ PCP's to fill positions.

Wow, that was fast! I didn't realise they were flipping the switch this soon! I'm excited about it! Although, I don't have particularly high hopes. I'm afraid NB is doomed to mediocrity, just like NS and BC. That's what comes with provincial-wide service. It's too bad, because apparently there is some great education and people in NS.

Anyhow, Sincere, entry level for EMS in all provinces but Ontario is pretty much one-year, full-time. It's two years in Ontario (except for this one college that crams it into a year). That prepares you to work at the American EMT-B level. Like most Americans, you're probably thinking, "well that sucks! I learned all that stuff in 4 months!" You didn't. They don't train paramedics in Canadia. They educate them. Whereas you spent most of EMT school learning skills any third grader could master in a weekend, they spend that one or two years actually learning a good bit of medicine, and assessment skills that are unheard of for an American trained EMT. Unheard of for most American paramedics, for that matter. So don't for a second think that, if you consider going back to school in Canadia, that you would be wasting your time on stuff you already know. I guarantee you'll walk away thinking how insane it is that Americans are allowed to practise with the pitifully inadequate amount of training they get. It would very definitely be worth your time.

Anyhow, you have absolutely no chance whatsoever of transferring anything you have to Ontario, Nova Scotia, or PEI. Zero. Probably not in NB either, since it was set up to mirror NS. AB, BC, and SK are the only provinces I know of where you, as a Michigan EMT-S, might have any chance of getting to challenge the basic, entry level exam, and those are long shots. If you want to go Canadian and do it quickly, start making calls to their boards immediately and get some info packets sent out to you. If returning to school to start over is an option, then decide where you want to live, look up the list of CMA accredited schools, and start sending out apps.

The job market in ON is considered horrible, but there are some qualifications to that generalisation. It is true in the GTA. All the surrounding counties are jammed full of applicants. But there are jobs and opportunities the farther you get from Toronto, especially up north. Once you are an ACP (Advanced Care Paramedic -- three years), you have a lot more options, as they are still in demand. I don't expect that to last long though, as the numbers are starting to level off now that the province has had time to adjust to the new educational requirements.

All I know about Canadian nursing is that they suffer many of the same shortages as the US does, and if you are already an experienced RN here, they will totally kiss your arse to recruit you. There are no nursing shortcuts in Canadia though. It's a four year college degree to get in.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is theorized that ACP demand will spike again due to the fact that Ornge is opening up something like 10 CCP land transfer cars. They are taking their flight ACPs and upgrading them to CCP to do it. This will cause mass hiring to replace them. Some will come from existing services. Thus, as the theory goes, there will be a fair number of ACP jobs in both land and air.

As a side note, when you get back from the desert what do you plan to do Dust? Any chance you may come work up here in the great white north?

It is still a consideration! Ultimately, I will end up back south. Probably WAY south, like Mexico. But if I am still in shape for another year or two of ambo work, Canadia is where I'd like to do it. ON and NB/NS would be my preferences. It'd be great, fresh, enlightening experience to take with me as I retire to teaching. Dunno if these old knees will hold out that long though. :|

Wow, that was fast! I didn't realise they were flipping the switch this soon! I'm excited about it! Although, I don't have particularly high hopes. I'm afraid NB is doomed to mediocrity, just like NS and BC. That's what comes with provincial-wide service. It's too bad, because apparently there is some great education and people in NS.

I am surprised Dust! What is it you don't see about the long term evolution? Granted things are as they are in Nova Scotia as they try and get everything consistent... I don't think it's by any mean mediocre. Nothing in our society can just be changed and fixed over night... it takes time. I believe the NS process is the way to go to see true and permanent long term progress in this industry. They took a severely fractured industry and turned it around to create standards to benefit everyone. NB and really all the maritimes are the same. I was there a couple months ago to do some extensive research and although everyone gripes about the same thing (pay) in this country I did not come across anyone the felt things were anything but an improvement from the pre-provinicial system. All our other health care runs provincially... why shouldn't EMS? The only change I WOULD like to see, is that it be managed by someone OTHER then an insurance company.

Fairly new to the forum and have been using it for education as I am a new NREMT- Paramedic from the US, but am a Canadian and looking to move up to BC. Comment is directed towards Dustdevil, how is it that you can summarize every paramedic program in the US as inferior to Canadian programs, have you research every program, as some of them go well beyond the stated requirements, also to anybody else, please respond with the amount of hours Didactic, and clinical you had to complete for your ALS program so that we can compare apples to apples, thanks. Great forum for discission.

My Primary Care Paramedic (BLS) course was:

879 didactic

45 clinical

585 field

1509 total

I had to then get field experience.

My Advanced Care Paramedic (ALS) is:

322 didactic

160 clinical

400 field

882 total

That means my total paramedical education will have taken 2391 hours of structured school. That doesn't include my intense studying nor the real world experience at the BLS level that I had to get before ALS.

What is your breakdown?

Fairly new to the forum ...Comment is directed towards Dustdevil, how is it that you can summarize every paramedic program in the US as inferior to Canadian programs, have you research every program, as some of them go well beyond the stated requirements

Welcome AGM... if you want to get a better feel for Dust's take on things one of the best tools is to search out his posts. He's got a lot and if nothing else they are full of interesting bits! If you view his profile you will see an option to see all his posts.

Be prepared... comfortable chair, maybe a cup of coffee... and read away. In the process you'll likely come across some equally informative topics.

Best way to get into BC with an American certification is to go to Nova Scotia and get registered as they will recognize you with an NREMT-P and then you can apply for a BC license under the AIT. If you are already a Canadian citizen that will really help the process.

That sounds like nothing but a pain in the ass. This is the only thing I have seen for going to different provines with AIT.

tool

If your looking to goto BC, I would suggest calling their EMA licensing office. They would be more than glad to assist you.

EMA licensing

Hope that helps,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.