Are you really part of EMS - Part 2

Dustdevil

Special Events Coverage...  

24 members have voted

1. 1.

• is EMS.
    • is not EMS.
    • might be EMS, depending on the scenario.
    • This thread's gonna get locked.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for a small county service and when we do special event stand-by's we are also the transporting service. Granted, we don't have any large special events, but if we go to a local high school football game, if a player gets injured, we transport if needed. So yes, in my case, it is EMS.

I hate football standby. My old job for 4 years did not have to do it. My new job I might get stuck with it. I always get in trouble because I get in coaches faces about being idiots putting kids back in the game.

There's an outfit in Massachusetts called Events EMS. They're a fully-licensed ALS service that provides on-site coverage with transport. What they do when there's no events going on I'm not sure, but I do know a fire department called them for an ALS intercept once, and got it.

Dust, just shoot me if I'm diverting the thread, but while we're hashing these things out, I'm curious about collegiate services. EMS?

Dust, just shoot me if I'm diverting the thread, but while we're hashing these things out, I'm curious about collegiate services. EMS?

I'm not particularly fond of collegiate EMS, but it is EMS, unless we're just talking about EMR trained security guards with AEDs or something.

The private service I work for does standby for football games, races, anything and everything. If the person doesn't need to be transported immediately, they call for another truck to come take the patient so they can still provide coverage. If they do need transport right then, the crew transports, and the event stops until another truck can get there. I agree, it is EMS.

-Kat

Interesting question. First off all the systems I have worked the crew working the events do not transport, they are assigned to that venue and do not leave. So transport is done by the PUM, private or county hospital units.

interestingly elsewherei nthe world that model of provision is frowned upon and events relying on this without using the NHS Ambulance serivce or a preferred partner ( usually SJA and /or red cross) might find themselves a bill - especially if it;s a regualr occurance

I would lean towards they are part of EMS. Having worked a bunch of concerts I have had plenty of emergencies. Whether or not they transport they are still responding to emergencies, although to a very limited service area.

i'd agree with that statement - especially when that 'limited service area' can be maybe 20 square miles at some of the really big events when you include parking ,campsites and the 'foot print' of traffic disruption

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.