Are you really part of EMS - Part 2

Dustdevil

Special Events Coverage...  

24 members have voted

1. 1.

• is EMS.
    • is not EMS.
    • might be EMS, depending on the scenario.
    • This thread's gonna get locked.

No, I have no intention of rehashing the Gong Show that was the previous thread. The matter is settled, despite those who choose to remain in denial. But it raises another, similar, but more specific question that was never really discussed.

What about special events providers? If a company exists for the sole purpose of providing emergency medical resources, care, and transportation on the site of special events, is that EMS?

What if they provide care, but not transportation, with the actual local EMS doing the transports?

What if they provide transportation, but somebody else is providing the actual care, as happens at most professional sporting events?

Again, I'm not trying to discount or degrade anybody here. I spent many years doing special events coverage, and loved every minute of it. I'm not going to get all pissed off and lose my self-esteem if everybody decides that isn't EMS. I'm just curious as to what the popular perception is.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to post about that in the last thread, but there were too many discussions going on already.

If you're setup specifically to respond to calls for emergency medical assistance of the severity that one would normally call 911 for, and do so routinely, then yes, you're EMS.

This is similar to how first responders in vehicles or fire engines or medic squads in some counties respond to treat, but don't have transport capabilities are still EMS. Back to the LE analogy, some areas have "patty wagons" that do prisoner transport and booking for officers who make arrests in the fields. The officers or detectives aren't doing the booking, but they're still out there doing investigations and making arrests.

Interesting question. First off all the systems I have worked the crew working the events do not transport, they are assigned to that venue and do not leave. So transport is done by the PUM, private or county hospital units.

I would lean towards they are part of EMS. Having worked a bunch of concerts I have had plenty of emergencies. Whether or not they transport they are still responding to emergencies, although to a very limited service area.

So I say yes, but I checked this thread is going to get locked. :wink:

I can see both sides of the spectrum. How are they any diffrent from the first aid station at Six Flags. Is that a part of EMS? Just because they drive their golfcart and weeman siren 15 MPH to go get the kid that threw up on the Screamin' Eagle?

I don't think so. But thats just me.

What about camp nurses? They are there to deal with Emergencies, and routine problems, falls under the special events gig. Are they EMS? Going with these two standards, I wouldn't consider a concert gig true "EMS" but, prove me wrong.

Special Event Coverage is not EMS, unless you transport. EMS is a stage in between recognition of something wrong, and definitive care. If you're not transferring care to a hospital or other place of definitive care, and only transferring care to a person trained to your level or higher, then you are not fulfilling the purpose of EMS.

You might ask, well, what's the difference between that and a first responder? A first responder can go to the hospital if needed. Those working at the special event do not have the ability to go with the transporting unit, as they would no longer be providing special event coverage.

If you're not transferring care to a hospital or other place of definitive care, and only transferring care to a person trained to your level or higher, then you are not fulfilling the purpose of EMS.

Well, I think that there's a strong argument that members of the emergency department and specific other specialties [a trauma team, for example, but any other team if the system can divert specifically to them, like cath lab teams] are quite clearly in EMS. Since people like using semantics, there's no "T" for "transport" but there is an "S" for "system." Once patients leave the emergency room [or other immediate care area like the OR or cath lab], then they leave the EMS system because the emergency is over.

I agree with Spenac on this one. They are there to deal with and respond to Emergencies and to provide Emergency Medical care, therefore, they are part of EMS. Transport or not doesn't matter.

Are you trying to get my vote or flirt with me? Oh well don't matter nice to have someone agree with me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.