Getting Re Certified?

I was an EMT in the US Air Force for 2 years before I got out and because my state did not accept the National Registry, I ended up getting side tracked and took another career route. I now want to get back into EMS, I always loved and missed doing it, I was very good at it and was prepairing to take ACLS when I decided not to re enlist.

It has been over 20 years since I was a Registered EMT so have to re take the entire coarse from what I understand. My problem is no one in this area is offering any class for a while. Is there any way to do this online and do the testing and practicals at a EMS facility.

Also most of the classes around here are over an hour away, and if I take it in the winter weather can be a problem also some saturday classes will be imposible to make, are you allowed to miss X amount of classes, or make them up.

I am not wanting to bypass all the work and learning, just frustrated that its only offered annually around here and the class is just winding down now.

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

Denny

Could you give us some more information on where you're located?

I know in Maryland there are usually classes starting every 6 months or so. And to be state certified you have to maintain an affiliation with a fire department or another EMS agency.

If you're wanting to go for you're paramedic eventually, you'll be better off going straight for it now instead of doing EMT-B.

Oh, and I seriously wouldn't even look at taking an online class. First of all, many of them are not legit with the state, and second, there are certain things that you gain from a classroom experience that you won't get from an online program.

It depends on where you live. Every state is different in there certification requirements.

In Minnesota, the EMT-B class is offered at least every six months. Many times the schools have it set up that they are offered several times a year at different locations. I agree that if you are really serious about getting back into EMS, go all out and go paramedic. Minnesota still requires the EMT-B course before entrance to the medic program but it not that hard.

As for taking class online, DON'T DO IT. Especially biology classes. I'm getting my butt kicked right now by that one.

Anyway, good luck.

I live in NW Pennsylvania, our state will take any states certification. I live on the NY state line so closer to Jamestown, NY than any Pa city.

I will eventually get my Paramedic, but believe I have to get my Basic first, need to double check on that.

Thanks guys and looks like the local training is the way to go, The online way have to go to TX for the practicals etc. Will just have to be patient, its just that I have all kinds of time now.

Denny

Actually, for National Registry, you don't necessarily have to start all over from scratch. Or, at least you didn't last time I looked. Now I can't seem to find the "re-entry" policy anywhere on their crappy website, but, unless it has recently changed, you could just take a 40-hour refresher and sit for the exam again. If you pass, voila... it's like you never left. The only catch is that you need a letter from some state EMS office saying that they support your re-entry, which may or may not be a problem for you. Once you get that, you take the test, and get registered in whatever state supported you (tell them you plan to move there, but need to get your cert squared away first and need their support), then you're good to go.

I would agree with others that plan A should be to retake the entire course. I can assure you that there is a tonne of stuff in today's EMT course and exam that was not there twenty years ago, and you'll be very, very lucky to pass the exam with just a refresher. Refreshers are to refresh what you should already know, not teach you what you never learned. And, if you were an AF med tech, you'll have a lot of medical knowledge, but not specifically that knowledge that EMT exams are asking for. Definitely exhaust every possibility to get into a proper course. After all, it sounds like you intend on making this your next career. If so, it's time to make a professional commitment to excellence, not just the easy or fast way in.

The link that Spenac listed is not some fly-by-night, mail order diploma mill. It's a darn fine course, but it requires that you have that professional commitment I spoke of, as well as the mature discipline to force yourself to spend that time everyday working the programme when there's nobody there taking attendance. It's not as easy as it sounds, trust me. But if self-study is something that works well for you, then there is no reason not to. Just remember, ultimately, even with online, you're going to have to go spend time somewhere doing clinical and practical time. There's no way around that. That's why ultimately you're just as well off driving to the local community college and getting a quality, traditional education.

Lots of PA peeps here. Maybe somebody else has some useful input for you.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out!

Great Ideas, and a few years ago I was given the option to take the local test but that is after I got my national registry number, now they said it is in history, not sure what that means.

I agree with a lot changing I was studying the book about 4 years ago and noticed how much had changed since I took my EMT coarse in Georgia.

I would love to do part of this online, only because I am laid off now and have nothing to do, and have always been a self motivator and do well with online studies. However, would the above link require me to go to Texas for the practicals etc?

Great Ideas, and a few years ago I was given the option to take the local test but that is after I got my national registry number, now they said it is in history, not sure what that means.

I agree with a lot changing I was studying the book about 4 years ago and noticed how much had changed since I took my EMT coarse in Georgia.

I would love to do part of this online, only because I am laid off now and have nothing to do, and have always been a self motivator and do well with online studies. However, would the above link require me to go to Texas for the practicals etc?

For the basic you would have to make a trip to Texas for an intense hands on program. As far as clinicals they might allow you to get contracts with some of your local EMS and hospitals. Call them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.