Teenage EMTs - YouTube Video

AnthonyM83

What do you mean by competence? If you're talking about actual EMT medical skills, I wouldn't agree, assuming there is a strict selection process. The EMTs in this video didn't seem like goof-off kids just looking for a thrill. Everything looked professional, like they took it seriously, and like they were bright kids. EMT is not that hard. A kid who is dedicated to treating the job seriously and has the intelligence and a strong academic background (even if they haven't done the upper level course-work) could do a kickass job.

I apologize for being unclear with my double negatives in the previous post. I think that these kids could make a fine EMT in terms of technical skills.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been sitting here reading all the replies to the topic and debating whether or not to post a reply. Obviously I'm 18 and I'm and EMT, and got my cert when I was 17.

Everyone keeps talking about "life experiences" and how teenagers aren't mature enough to handle some of the things they may witness. While that is true in many cases, how do you get "life experiences" unless you get out there and see things? See things that many people don't see except on television? You can't live in a bubble until you're "old enough" to handle things. It's a rough world that we live in; it isn't the Leave It To Beaver '50s anymore and believe it or not, most teenagers are aware of this.

Yea, I'm biased. And as for the argument that this type of service is a step backwards in our journey to being professionals, I agree. However playing Devils advocate, many areas have the view of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and while that's not the right attitude to have, until something changes let the EMT's have some fun and maybe learn a thing or two about life.

I must say I loved it. I've been an EMT since I was 16, so I think what they are diong is outstanding!

I drove drunk, so I think that it is fine to drive drunk!

[spoil:4032568544][sub:4032568544]I didn't, in fact drunk drivers really annoy me, but the above was meant to show how you made an argument with nothing to back it up except that you did it.[/sub:4032568544][/spoil:4032568544]

IHowever playing Devils advocate, many areas have the view of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and while that's not the right attitude to have, until something changes let the EMT's have some fun and maybe learn a thing or two about life.

Wait till they get PTSD or a volunteer career ending back injury and ask them how much fun they are having.

Tsk, I'm really not sure how to respond to what you put. However, I will say that I've been an EMT since I was sixteen, but I've been in FIRE/EMS since I was 14. You said that 16 yr olds are still children, I would have to disagree with you on that. Do I think every 16 yr old could handle seeing what we see? No I really don't. However I also don't think most "adults" could handle seeing what see. It takes a special kind of person to be able to do this job. I personally have always wanted to do it. Yeah you have to be mature to do this job, however from what I've seen in my "life experience" I'm a lot more mature then most "adults." As for you not liking me....well I'm not asking you to.

WestSideBorderPatrol wrote:

IHowever playing Devils advocate, many areas have the view of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and while that's not the right attitude to have, until something changes let the EMT's have some fun and maybe learn a thing or two about life.

Wait till they get PTSD or a volunteer career ending back injury and ask them how much fun they are having.

PTSD or a career-ending back injury can happen to anyone in this field. Heck, you move just a little in a direction that you're not meant to and *BANG* there goes your career.

PTSD or a career-ending back injury can happen to anyone in this field. Heck, you move just a little in a direction that you're not meant to and *BANG* there goes your career.

That's exactly my point. Why should you let it happen for a little fun volunteering while in high school though?

Here's a fun fact for everyone: In 2005, with 1,479 calls they used 1,370 oxygen masks.

hmm. I have been doing alot of thinking and I believe im going to chime in from these kids perspectives seeing as I'm 16. Now, I see pros and cons to their system.

CONS: What I dislike is the fact that they are running the ambulance service with only 1 adult supervising and ALS only availible as backup.

PROS: experiance, chances to learn and see things.

Not many of you will like this but i take calls on a real ambulance to real 911 emergencys(well sometimes most are BS), but, im not the highest level provider there. I am only a rider BUT I do touch the patients and use all skills that I have been taught, which usually means i do all the work that an EMT would do with the medic while he/she sits on their ass lol.

as for PTSD, I have seen some things already that would make alot of people lose their stomachs and run off in shock. It really didnt bother me or leave me un able to sleep at night and that is due to my experiances of growing up on a farm and seeing animals hurt and dieing but still having to care for them. The career ending back injury is also preventable, that is why you make sure you lift correctly everytime and call for help if you need it.

Just my thoughts

That's exactly my point. Why should you let it happen for a little fun volunteering while in high school though?

I agree with you on that point, however the way I see it is that if someone is aware of thr risks and still wants to do it, more power to them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.