Teenage EMTs - YouTube Video

AnthonyM83

Actually, I was suggesting the 16 and 17 year olds, as well as the 18-21 year olds.. Everyone gets one chance with me. If you can't prove your worth up front, I'm not looking for it down the road.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, as a 16 year old, let me ask you guys something:

We're allowed to be tried as adults in the court of law, but we can't be EMT's?

Because there is a lot of sex in EMS, and if we can't legally have sex with you, and you are not old enough to get you drunk to facilitate the sex, than you are not an adult in our eyes. Nothing ruins a good game of "Drunken Make Out With the Rookie" like a couple of federal charges. 16 will get you 20, brother.

=D> AWARD! Post of the month :cheers:

I think the worst part is that most of the people on this site who have been in the business long enough will read my post, laugh, and then think "You know, he has a point." And I mean some of you women too! You know who you are!

Ive heard of this program and I think a few other towns here in CT do it as well. Frankly I am middle of the road with this school based ambulance business.

I remember a day swhere a department toned out 3 times for an EMT... no response, toned out for a mutual aid ambulance from another town, then tonned 2 more towns before an ambulance actually made it out. 3 towns and no one would take it. Thats rediculous, and in my humble opinion embarassing. What can be done to prevent this?

I am very pro-junior/exploer program. Kids selected for these kind of things arnt just anyone, not your average failing school trouble maker types, at least not where I come from. Assigning a mentor can be quite helpful in addition to advisors. Someone who can help with one-on-one time... maybe even help them on an educational level to keep them focused on school.

The fire dept I originated in has a very successfull junior division. What it comes down to is how well its regulated... have a requirement where they must maintain certain grades, strictly enforce when they can be there (for instance they can not be at base, unsupervused, if a senior member is not present)... etc. Fortunatley most of the first members of it were children of senior members, so they made for a pretty good officer base when others started joining. This dept's juniors are utilized for rehab (changing SCBAs as well as assisting EMS), hydrants, gophers, etc... and they all prove themselves worthy.

On the flip side... I do not think that anyone under the age of 21 should be allowed to operate an emergency vehicle. Honestly I dont think anyone 21+ who just got their license should even be allowed to drive (right away). Additionally I dont think that anyone should be providing unsupervised medical care under the age of 18. Look at it this way, they cant sign a legal document to refuse care for themselves... why should they be able to sign a legal document regarding care of another?

I have no doubt that a person under the age of 18 can be a great asset in the emergency service community. But doing it alone has LIABILITY written all over it.

Because there is a lot of sex in EMS, and if we can't legally have sex with you, and you are not old enough to get you drunk to facilitate the sex, than you are not an adult in our eyes. Nothing ruins a good game of "Drunken Make Out With the Rookie" like a couple of federal charges. 16 will get you 20, brother.

And the Oscar, Emmy, Grammy, (insert rediculous golden award of recognition for people who get enough as is here) to Asys!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.