Teenage EMTs - YouTube Video

AnthonyM83

Yes. I think thats just stupid.

They are going to be in class for instance we'll use orchestra/band because that one girl was playing her instrument.

Tell me how long this would take:

1. Put the darned instrument up

2. Walk to get your stuff

3. Walk to the ambulance

4. Put your clothes..err...uniform on

5. Respond.

Too long to me. Maybe im use to a very short turnout time. here we strive for 30 seconds wheter its a EMS or a structure fire.

Wow.... I find it amazing that of everything that has been discussed here, you feel their time to put their clothes on is the ONLY problem with their service.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did start when I was 17 and knew most people would be hesitant about someone being that young. But by the time I was 20 or so it got to where I'd almost take offense to it. Now, in my more advanced age and wisdom, I look back now and wonder how I would respond to someone that young now. :-k

• 8 months later...

Okay, as a 16 year old, let me ask you guys something:

We're allowed to be tried as adults in the court of law, but we can't be EMT's?

The teenage EMT's I know don't take calls that horrible. Or I don't know, maybe its just that I live in a really boring town. But nonetheless, you are making generalizations about teenagers that are, for the most part not true.

Damn "preps" and "ghetto kids" make us all look bad. But they aren't the ones going out saving people's lives.

And someone mentioned swearing... have you ever been to a public school?

I don't care how young or old my partner is, so long as:

1. They have successfully completed two years of formal medical education (no EMTs allowed).

2. They are old enough to legally work (no volunteers allowed).

3. They're old enough to legally have sex with me (no jailbait allowed).

I wholeheartedly welcome any 16 year old partner who meets those qualifications. Otherwise, stay home.

I don't care how young or old my partner is, so long as:

1. They have successfully completed two years of formal medical education (no EMTs allowed).

2. They are old enough to legally work (no volunteers allowed).

3. They're old enough to legally have sex with me (no jailbait allowed).

I wholeheartedly welcome any 16 year old partner who meets those qualifications.

She's all your's, Sweetie!

While I find it acceptable to allow an explorer type program to be available to 16-18 year olds, I do not see any benefit in having these same young people actually providing pt care as the primary care provider. If they can become EMT's, fine, but they should be treated as students until at least 18, plain and simple. I also think that the calls should be screened as best as possible to avoid having these younger people see some of the horrific scenes that await responders.

I am sorry to all of you younger people out there, but I do not believe that 16 and 17 EMT's should be driving the rig, and providing primary care. I see alot of glory hound attitudes in young people involved in EMS, and fire. I also see a huge lack of incompetent, lazy, can't tell me anything attitudes. Not to mention the complete lack of respect for elders, or authority, and don't get me started on the non-existant work ethic that has been so deeply engrained into our American youth today. My wife is constantly on me because I have made the 12 year old mow the lawn twice in one day. Why? Because he did not do it right the first time. This is not my way of being a bully, nor am I a sadistic, mean spirited person who gets his kicks by making my step son do something over. I make him re mow the lawn, so he will learn a valuable lesson without the risk of losing a paycheck; this lesson is simple, do your job right the first time! This has been lost on our young people.

I know you can not blanket cover every age and say that ALL 16-20 year olds are immature, it is true that there are some 16 year olds that are very mature. The way I see it is simple, it is a cross you must bear for a short time. Plain and simple. There are a great many young people to come before you that have screwed up the chance for you to be taken seriously as the potentially mature person you very well may be. It is no different than being a divorced father; one of the first questions I always get is "Do you pay your child support?" To which I reply in the affirmative, I am not a dead beat dad; but I get stuck with that moment of assumption because of all the dead beat dads out there. It is a cross that one must bear, sometimes not by choice, or liking.

Some one wrote that if you do not allow 16 year olds to volunteer, than you may lose them by the time they are 18 or 19. So what. If they lose interest that fast, they never really wanted the career in the first place. They wanted the patchy shirt, so they could look cool to the chics. If a person is truly interested in EMS, they will pursue their interest.

Then there is the education aspect of EMS. Seriously, it is not that hard to pass the EMT-B testing. The skills are pretty darn easy. The written test is not that much more difficult. All you need to remember is A before B, and B before C. Throw in some BSI and scene safety. Remember your OPQRST, and SAMPLE, and you probably just scored 60, now get a few lucky guesses and you could easily get a 71; good enough to be an EMT. The concern that I have is simple. How seriously do younger people study the material, or are they just thinking of how cool it is gonna be next semester when they can run out of that Biology quiz? Then there is the clinical time that an EMT student has to put in. Very very minimal. Are we honestly supposed to en trust our life, or the life of a family member to an EMT that has had a whole 24 hours of clinicals, and is on their 3rd EMS call, and the provider is only 16? Sorry, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster some where down the road.

I am not picking on young people being involved in EMS. It is a great place to put your heart and energy if you truly want to help improve someone's really rotten day. Young people need to be encouraged to pursue this career, they should be mentored, and paramedic education should be made available to them. It would be a great program if they were allowed to ride 3rd for a year or two with the medics, and then go to medic school after high school. Wow, by the time medic school is over, you have someone who is ready to go to work. That would be a good deal. For all you young EMT's out there, don't feel beaten up on, or discouraged. Keep learning, take more classes, and pursue your medic. Then come back and tell some other young person how much they really don't know about the things they don't even know yet. You will learn that in medic school.(I did)

Hell, there's a difference in a lot of cases between 18 year olds and 21 year olds. But you can't say that it doesn't depend on the person.

I'm sure some of those kids are more mature than a select few on here. eusa_whistle.gif

I'm sure some of those kids are more mature than a select few on here. eusa_whistle.gif

Exactly. That's why I'm not turning anyone away until I have interviewed them and thoroughly investigated their application.

Problem is, all employers -- not just EMS -- want people with an established record of professional stability. Someone who has proven that they can and will show up for work on time everyday, give an honest effort to their duties, and reflect positively on the employer. It's just extremely rare that any teenagers have any experience to establish that. Consequently, they will fall behind many (but not all) adult applicants because the employer wants to avoid "taking a chance" if at all possible.

On the other hand, if I've got a 25 year old applicant who's bounced around from ambulance service to ambulance service for the last four to six years, achieving no significant educational advancement in that time, I'd be more inclined to give the younger person with the blank slate a chance over the older guy. But again, that younger person isn't getting ANY job with me without the requisite two years of focused medical education. And if you've got that by 18, welcome aboard!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.