Teenage EMTs - YouTube Video

AnthonyM83

Interesting topic.

First off, good on these kids for getting out there and into the EMS system. New Zealand essentially has a similar system (heavily reliant on volly EMTs in many small areas - Darien, CT pop is ~20,000). So I commend them very highly for doing so. Be them EMT-B or EMT-P I am generally not for high school kids staffing emergency ambulances.

I say "generally" because somebody who is 16 can be very mature and a practical thinker and make the perfect gurney jockey. Then there are obviously those who are not suited to being the next EMT Pimples.

This problem is really not about "can they save me when I code on the floor" because be they 17 or 70 an EMT-B is an EMT-B and an EMT-HP an EMT-P, they carry the same gear and scope of practice (SoP) regardless of age.

I am not keen on a teenager turning up in the bus to the next car wreck I happen to be turned out to. Simply because is a teenager really mature and grounded enough to undertake the sights, sounds and responsibilities of an EMS worker? I say no.

Then you must consider the other aspect which us Kiwis are having to deal with more and more - say you get some aggressive family member who doesn't want you working on his mother, father, husband, wife etc and starts to nut out. Got to think safety too, I can imagine the situation. Its hard enough for two well trained, physically fit adults to deal with, let alone a couple of teenagers. We have a good tool for that, its called our Maglite with D Cell batteries :P. I did note that EMT Charlie in the CBS piece seemed to be wearing a stab resistant vest, we need to get those!

Problem is a high school student probably lacks not only the general life experience but also the critical thinking skills and driving experience to become an EMT.

Here in Kiwi land, you won't get touched to become an EMT until you have at least 3 years behind the wheel on a full license (so around 4 1/2 years in total) and pass a bunch of tests and reference checks showing you can think and act in critical situations.

So good on them, if I am in cardiac arrest I'd rather they turn up than waiting for either the fire department or an ALS ambulance from further afield but ..... I'm still not very keen on the idea.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Kiwi medic on alot of his aspects *heya fellow New Zealander hehe* but some aspects are on a case by case basis and region by region. I started my paramedic training with Wellington free and the requirements are similar but the volunteers arent allowed to drive the vehicles in general *which makes the driving module somewhat redundant :lol: *

There are some very mature young ambulance officers that I have worked with in both EMS time and in Nursing, but then there are some who are in it for the light bar and waa waa's. I've wanted to do this work from a very young age *four* and grown up in a Fire/EMS background. I started road time at 18 and have come across some grizley sights, but its down to personal attitudes, beliefs and support networks also.

I am one for supporting youth in EMS, but agree there has to be minimum age and also the maturity level gauged. You can become a volunteer firefighter at age 16 and at MVA scenes, this can be worse as once we leave, the firies are often still left at the scene to extricate the deceased. It's a case by case basis. If youth were available to roll in rural areas, I don't think they should be able to progress to ILS till a certain age, remain at the basic level for a while. But then in the paramedic degree class I was in, we had 17 year olds doing the training, meaning that they would be upskilled paramedics at the age of 19/20.

Case by case in all accounts. Some 17 year olds are more mature than some 40 year olds I have met. The violence on scene issues is a scary one, I remember my first stabbing scene and the fear of seeing the potential offender still on scene etc. But if there is a good supportive crew, it can help ease and bring the person into the field and with adequate training *which -cough- isn't the best in some parts of Kiwiland* situations can be handled differently.

:lol:

My problem with this isn't based on opinion, but personal experience.

My service keeps hiring 18-20 year old EMTs. They can't comprehend a work schedule, can't drive safely, can't seem to be trained to perform in a professional manner, don't seem to care about the welfare of their patients (much less the general public), and get angry with us "dinosaurs" for trying to bring them up to speed.

My service keeps hiring 18-20 year old EMTs. They can't comprehend a work schedule, can't drive safely, can't seem to be trained to perform in a professional manner, don't seem to care about the welfare of their patients (much less the general public), and get angry with us "dinosaurs" for trying to bring them up to speed.

Yep. Sounds very familiar. They come in, fresh out of EMT school, prepared to show US how it's supposed to be done, and totally unwilling to accept that it's not the game they thought it was.

Now imagine a place like that, but with NO dinosaurs (except maybe a couple). At minimum wage and only EMTs, no one stays for long. Result: Cowboy mentality. It's been getting better over the last year, though.

I can't say I agree with a 16 year old working on me. BUT at 16 I was but not an EMT, I was a cadet with adults around me constantly The minute I was 18 I had my EMT Certs, still working with Expereinced EMTs and Medics and they molded me to the EMT I am today. I think this state needs a "must be 18 to practice" law.

Justin EMT-B

Now imagine a place like that, but with NO dinosaurs (except maybe a couple). At minimum wage and only EMTs, no one stays for long. Result: Cowboy mentality. It's been getting better over the last year, though.

That's exactly where we're headed! What changed to make it better? Our management has actually told us that it's good for the company to lose the more senior employees, so they don't have to pay out as much in wages and benefits.

:roll:

Being 20 and from New Jersey already has me red flagged on this forum, but freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.

I am very well aware and will completely agree with you that the state is in the stone age and has a metric sh*tton of problems. As much as I enjoy being part of the "first aid squad" and volunteer fire dept, it will be a great day when this state finally gets its act together and mandates 100% ALS response.

I joined the cadet division of the squad when I was 16 and was allowed to ride along with only CPR for the Professional Rescuer and ARC First Aid. Cadets are allowed to assist with in the scope of their training which is essentially assisting and observing. Never allowed in the back with out an active EMT-B. Cadets are never ever allowed to even get behind the wheel of the ambulance to move it with out a patient inside. Also they will be told to hang back if the crew chief feels that the particular call may upset the cadet. Report cards are mandatory at the end of each grading period and cadets have been suspended for not keeping up to standards. Also the squad has relieved cadets of membership who have answered calls or have been at the building during school hours.

Once the advisers and other active members see that you're truly interested they will recommend that you complete the EMT-B course and continue on to be an active member. Once the cadet turns 18 they first need to be accepted to the squad and then will serve a probationary period of at least a year if not more if necessary. Driving is the last part of the training.

I feel it is absurd that post 53 gets away with what they do. While CBS shows like that can be rather biased, their website seems to back it up quite well. There is absolutely no reason for a student to leave a high school class in order to answer a ems or fire call. Same goes for someone in college too.

As for someones comment about it keeping kids away from drugs and alcohol, I know quite a few cadets that are into drugs and will drink. It definitely won't stop them all.

The few of you that are defending this, you need a serious reality check.

I took an EMT course a year and half ago during the summer break from school, the entire class was made up of high school students, the youngest was 17 and the oldest 18. In the state in which I live in you must me 17 years old for the state and 18 for national. Anyway we all took the National EMT-Basic test and all of us past on our first try. I do not believe that a 16 year old should be in charge of a patient or even certifid in EMS, they just started to rive and experience some sort of indipendence from their parents, I know I could not of handled the calls when I was 16. I am now 19 years old and am starting my Paramedic course in a couple weeks. I love EMS and am going to be in EMS for a very long time!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.