Teenage EMTs - YouTube Video

AnthonyM83

So, my thoughts on this is you can judge someone for there age do I think a 13 year old should go on all calls because they are still young and could not handle some of the stuff they might see. I do think that having programs like the Explore program is a good thing. It gives teens something to do and keeps them out of trouble. I just turned 18 and have done a ride along for school as a jounor in high school after taking several medical class one of them being an EMS class. I dont think what a teen see will hurt them it will only make them stronger and they can learn so much. Most teens think they are invinceable and in all honesty there is somedays when I feel like nothing can hurt me. I've grown up with a dad who is a paramedic and was a vollinter firefighter so I've seen a lot. I could see the problume with the kid runing there mouth to there friends and stuff but thats why you make them sign something saying they wont do things like that. High schools should not be allowed on an abulance without trained Paramedics and EMT's with them. I think the exposure does teens good and they are more likely to look up to the Medics and respect what is asked of them. They should have some classes and training first. I think that its a good thing!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't affect your growing up process at the age of 16 seeing things like a baby in microwave, machete'ed family, determining your friend dead at scene of accident, telling your other friend her mom is dead on-scene. It has to do SOMETHING to you.

All young people (including myself) feel like we can handle it (and we do, it's not like we curl up into balls and cry)...but in America we have the chance to have kids grow up without seeing F'ed up stuff unlike other countries...when I think about my younger brothers and sisters, I wouldn't want them seeing that stuff. It stays in the back of your mind. Maybe an exposure or two is okay for that reality check you mentioned...not being invincible. . . but you don't want that to be a constant. I've SEEN it affect teen EMT's.

Very true.

I have to youger sisters and I wouldn't wont them to see stuff like that. The fact is yes they would have to do all the things you said and they would be hard for anyone. I also see that it is a great learning experiance.

I also think what most high schools have to see and deal with everyday would suprise most of you. Yes everything in that happens in a person life effects that person. I know that some teens couldnt handle it while others could I think it depends on the person. Like I said dont let them go on all the calls use your judgement and give them a chance to earn your trust and your respect. Life isnt always going to be what it seem and reality can be a good thing for a teenager I know from personal experiance and I've truned out okay!

It wouldn't affect your growing up process at the age of 16 seeing things like a baby in microwave, machete'ed family, determining your friend dead at scene of accident, telling your other friend her mom is dead on-scene. It has to do SOMETHING to you.

Even the every day care aspects that can be involved in transporting the patients can be a challenge. Unlike CNA training, EMTs are not always exposed to various aspects of care where bodily functions are involved but can be a real part of getting the pt from point A to point B. 80 y/o parts of the anatomy can bring about a "giggle" if the person is not mature enough to suppress it and can cause great embarrassment for all involved. Also, anyone that has done enough hospital to NH and NH to hospital transports eventually must deal with a scrotal sling. I still grimace when working with these patients and I get to see a lot of them on my ventilators that have scrotal edema. I don't know if I would want a 16 y/o exposed to that or a machete attack victim.

Anthony, it all depends on the person.

At 16 I saw a decapitation, a classmate ejected and impaled on a fence post, and 70% 3rd degree chemicall burns. Has it effected me? No. 14 years later I'm still doing the job with the same excitement and vigor as when I started and I sleep fine at night. Am I special? No, I think there are a lot of people like me out there. It just means 16 year olds may deal with it as well as "adults" would be expected to, and some adults deal with it the way you think 16 year olds should.

Devin

So, my thoughts on this is you can judge someone for there age do I think a 13 year old should go on all calls because they are still young and could not handle some of the stuff they might see. I do think that having programs like the Explore program is a good thing. It gives teens something to do and keeps them out of trouble. I just turned 18 and have done a ride along for school as a jounor in high school after taking several medical class one of them being an EMS class. I dont think what a teen see will hurt them it will only make them stronger and they can learn so much. Most teens think they are invinceable and in all honesty there is somedays when I feel like nothing can hurt me. I've grown up with a dad who is a paramedic and was a vollinter firefighter so I've seen a lot. I could see the problume with the kid runing there mouth to there friends and stuff but thats why you make them sign something saying they wont do things like that. High schools should not be allowed on an abulance without trained Paramedics and EMT's with them. I think the exposure does teens good and they are more likely to look up to the Medics and respect what is asked of them. They should have some classes and training first. I think that its a good thing!

Hey medic_girl I am not trying to be mean here or anything, however I would strongly suggest that you check your posts with spellcheck. Grammar is one of those things that is severely lacking in our profession and a LOT of people on forums are very touchy about it as it makes posts hard and sometimes unbearable to read. Just think of this as a friendly heads up.

I also think what most high schools have to see and deal with everyday would suprise most of you. Y

In Darien, Connecticut? OH COME ONE!!! :roll: The last major scandal that town had was when Johhny got to second base with Nancy at the sock hop. No offense Dust, I know that brings back memories for you. :cry:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.