Teenage EMTs - YouTube Video

AnthonyM83

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont consider the old lady got stung by a bee a week earlier and it itched today BS?.....

Kyle, don't automatically assume that the next time you go pick up this same "little old lady" when she calls 911 because she's been stung by a bee, that it's BS. It might be anaphylactic shock. Her body's been exposed to the venom before, and now it's reacting violently. Would you know the difference? How would you treat it? What happens in the body with someone who's experiencing anaphylactic shock??

You think a 16 y/o EMT who works the trucks in Darien, CT would know how to treat it? Would he/she know the difference between anaphylactic shock and a minor allergic reaction?? Would ALS get there in time if it was genuine anaphylactic shock???

I say they're too young....

The thing that seems to really be agitating me right now, is most of you are saying "at age 16 would they know how to treat it." They are EMT's they are TRAINED AND CERTIFIED EMTS. By the DOH. Therefore they are just as qualified as a 20 yr old taking the EMT class...the difference is they are younger!

Kyle, don't automatically assume that the next time you go pick up this same "little old lady" when she calls 911 because she's been stung by a bee, that it's BS. It might be anaphylactic shock. Her body's been exposed to the venom before, and now it's reacting violently. Would you know the difference? How would you treat it? What happens in the body with someone who's experiencing anaphylactic shock??

You think a 16 y/o EMT who works the trucks in Darien, CT would know how to treat it? Would he/she know the difference between anaphylactic shock and a minor allergic reaction?? Would ALS get there in time if it was genuine anaphylactic shock???

I think a 16 year old EMT in Darien has as good of chance of recognizing anaphylaxis as any other EMT with the same training. The larger questions remains of if a 16 year old EMT has the maturity to handle the things they see and to deal with the public in a time of crisis.

Shane

NREMT-P

I know all that, but the question begs to be asked - what risk manager bright star thought to allow 16 year olds to drive emergency.
The program in Darien has been around for decades in different forms, so I imagine they have a long history of not getting in accidents, otherwise it wouldn't be financially feasible.

Eh, faulty premise there Connie. You're assuming it takes general life experience and not good medical training and on the job training and EMS job experience to recognize anaphylaxis and treat according to scope.

You dont consider the old lady got stung by a bee a week earlier and it itched today BS?

Yes that was an actuall call I went on lol

This is not funny. My sister gets bit by a bee and a week to 2 weeks later she goes into shock. This has happened multiple times. Why is her reaction delayed? I don't know maybe a doc on here has heard of this. So you going laughing at the lady and calling it BS may cost her life.

Kids should'nt be working emergency but at the same time I don’t think an EMT should be working emergency either. In Australia to work emerg you must be 21 and in most cases have a degree or diploma.

I started going out on standbys when I was 11. Until I was 15 on most occasions I was “under the wing’ and supervised by 2 Adult EMTs. When I turned 15 I did all the advanced first aid training (defib,02,OPA,collars ect) and was ‘let off my leash’ so to speak. I was ‘brought up’ around motocross as my division did motocross standby twice to four times a month, this is were I got most of my experience in trauma. I’ve been a sports trainer since I was 15 and firefighter since I was 16.

My standby service cannot transport, we handover to the state paramedics if they need transport to hospital. In Australia you can get your Learners Permit which enables you to drive if you have a fully licensed driver next to you. You can’t get your full license until you 21 so I’m still not allowed to drive the ambulance or fire truck :(

All in all, it’s been an awesome experience. I’ve worked with doctors, paramedics, nurses ect. I’ve learnt so much and learn something new very day. I’ve been told by paramedics that doing first aid has given me a leg up. I’ve pretty much gotten all I can get out volunteer BLS and look forward to going to uni and getting into some ALS stuff! But I'm kinda disapointed that they would let kids run emerg.

This is not funny. My sister gets bit by a bee and a week to 2 weeks later she goes into shock. This has happened multiple times. Why is her reaction delayed? I don't know maybe a doc on here has heard of this. So you going laughing at the lady and calling it BS may cost her life.

I was going to write something about cellulitis, infection and sepsis. But, then I thought about it a little and to a 16 y/o, at 47, I could be "the old lady".

Eh, faulty premise there Connie. You're assuming it takes general life experience and not good medical training and on the job training and EMS job experience to recognize anaphylaxis and treat according to scope.

Sorry Anthony, I just have to ask if a 16 y/o is mature enough to handle working in this field? I mean, speaking from experience, I know what I was doing when I was 16, and it wasn't learning about anything medical, that's for sure! Well.....maybe in the gynecological sense.... :oops:

Just the thought of a 16y/o coming to my aid when I'm knocking on death's door kinda' freaks me out, is all....sorry if I offended.

As always, just my opinion. Not everyone has to agree with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.