Teenage EMTs - YouTube Video

AnthonyM83

My High School had a nursing (Nursing...not CNA, not candystrippers) Vo-Tec traing course, as well as mechanics, construction, farming. None any more dangerous than what these kids are doing

Unless you are working in the town of Pleasantville, there are dangers to the job. We have adults that don't understand the basics of infection control. Sixteen is an early age to get exposed to Hep C, TB and MRSA on a regular basis.

Are they mature enough to handle the dynamics of a domestic? Child abuse? Rape? Miscarriage? Console a family of a SIDS baby?

What will their view of the world be if they are exposed regularly to drug addicts' vomit and foul language while demanding a fix? Yes, that sends a message, but is it the right one?

Even the 2 years between 16 and 18 make a difference in maturity or "growing up".

We also have movie ratings to keep 16 y/o kids from seeing things that they can be exposed to in EMS.

Again, there are those in EMS that is still looking at the profession as just a "few skills" with a little training and not knowledge, education or maturity.

Not many of you will like this but i take calls on a real ambulance to real 911 emergencys(well sometimes most are BS)

At 16, you are already judging calls as BS? What have you learned about patient care?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait till they get PTSD or a volunteer career ending back injury and ask them how much fun they are having.

both demonstrate system failures, the fact that leftpondian providers accept these as part of the job is sad inditement of the system...

Apparently, they are retro 70's letting kids run the EMS and wearing total white with black belts and mega patches.

R/r 911

[align=center:8e4020e72e]Minus the units in the back and your right, it could be any 1970's ambulance company.

Image1-13.gif

Young, motivated and you don't have to pay them. God bless the USA.[/align:8e4020e72e]

We also have movie ratings to keep 16 y/o kids from seeing things that they can be exposed to in EMS.

This is probably the best thing anyone has said in this thread yet.

You know, I take it back. Africa and the Middle East have plenty of opportunities for children and teenagers to volunteer in "peace keeping" fashions, and supply the AK-47's and RPG's to help these teens get in at the ground level in a new career.

Hell, until those bad ol' liberals bitched and moaned, children and teens were allowed to work in factories and mines. I say, lets get back to that! Do you know how much money we could save if we allowed teenagers to do adult work for free in all sorts of careers? We could finally kick the crap out of China on steel prices. Lets do it!

I get tickled by responses of those that are a whopping 18 years old and describing that "it didn't affect them, they believe 16 is mature"... yadda, yadda Wow! A whole two years of experience and no PTSD yet! Of course, PTSD may take up to five to ten years to show its ugly head..

Now with that said, I will now speak from experience. I received my Paramedic when I was 16. I worked in an ER since I was 14. Like many others in the 70's most were teenagers or very young adults. Yes, there was a difference in separation in maturity levels. Those that were mature and those that definitely were not. Many, of the younger mature ones were post Vietnam medics, that have been exposed and seen much more than anyone at that time. Again, one could definitely see the difference not so much in age development but actions and reasoning skills. I was fortunate enough to have the hindsight of listening and observing these young men and at the same time they kept me in check, and would literally head slap me when I got out of line.

Now, one that actually comes from 30 years after the 16 years of age, I can assure you a 16 year old should not be exposed to and as well be responsible for someones life. It is not that they cannot perform the skills (again, the monkey analogy comes into mind) but being able to make the rationale decisions and able to cope with those decisions.

There is a reason Insurance corporations no longer insures 16 year old EVO drivers. Yes, they used to and now do not, one can make a rationale decision on why? The same reason most responsible states require minimum age levels. Mental maturity is essential in providing medical care and dealing with crisis situations.

Being "pre-med" means nothing to me. Might as well say I am a biology major, or animal husbandry major. there the same degree requirements. I wished I had a penny for every so pre-med major I have dealt with. As well as "it works, don't break it" attitude. Yeah, so did the funeral home business ambulance worked well for decades, should we continue with it as well? Do they provide consistent 24 hr coverage with ALS for their patients, provided by experienced mature seasoned Paramedics? No? Then it is broke. PERIOD.

Sorry, I've seen the results of post 16 year old EMT's. Look around and see how many you find 5, 10, 25+ years? Looks like Dust and I are few remnants that survived.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.