Teenage EMTs - YouTube Video

AnthonyM83

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All well and good, although from a personal standpoint I'm not too keen on having a 16-year-old skip school, nor drive the ambulance when they have just gotten their drivers licenses. (although CT has written in an exemption to their graduated license program for teen drivers for fire and ambulance.)

There is also another part of me that hates the idea, but I'm sitting on that rather firmly.

There should be some restrictions on EMS volunteering; there are on everything else!

I can't see the vid, so I don't know exactly what is going on. But CC's point reminds me of something I have always wondered. Okay, so most of us are in agreement that young, inexperienced drivers driving emergency vehicles is just a really bad idea. I mean, while I am not at all opposed to young people becoming paramedics, I don't like the idea of them driving me anywhere.

But what about nasty, sprawling, urban centres like NYC, where a great many people have never even driven or owned a car in their lives? What happens when they suddenly take a job driving an ambulance, fire truck, bus, police car, or anything else all day long for a living? Sure, they may be thirty years old, but they have zero driving experience. Seems to me like this would be a problem up there, no matter how much EVOC you give them.

Well, it just demonstrates it does not take much to be an EMT in their state. All is great when there is no problems, just wait until they have an accident, or even ten years later get diagnosed with PTSD because of an event. Sorry, just because one is able to pass the tests does not make that person mature enough to perform that job function. Yes, it can be debatable (as it has) but life experience counts as part of developing critical thinking skills, and making wise choices that is needed.

There are very few adolescents that could perform at that level, and our profession needs more mature, responsible individuals and not be making allowances and excuses of having juveniles do the work for adults. Shame on the city for not endorsing ALS and then using children for free labor. It would be much more useful of having the group learn as an Explorer posts working with a professional service. Encouraging them to proceed into EMS and sponsoring them into collegiate education.

Proof again, that cities will always use the "why pay for it, when you can get it for free"...

R/r 911

I'm kind of ambivalent about this one. I like the idea of kids learning EMS but I'm concerned about the level of responsibility they are given. Would malpractice insurance even cover adolescents?

I do have a question though. Would it be possible for their manager to fit another Galls patch on her uniform?

Image1-17.gif

I'm kind of ambivalent about this one. I like the idea of kids learning EMS but I'm concerned about the level of responsibility they are given. Would malpractice insurance even cover adolescents?

I do have a question though. Would it be possible for their manager to fit another Galls patch on her uniform?

Image1-17.gif

Yes she needs a patch over the other saggy breast.

Actually, maybe this town would be kinda neat to live in. Apparently, they are retro 70's letting kids run the EMS and wearing total white with black belts and mega patches. Wow! I bet they still have visibars and Q-2 sirens! Maybe they still carry the old Gould monitors and use telemetry and glass IV bottles. A real living EMS museum!

I do wonder about how many responses a year they do and as well what happens when they turn 18 or graduate from high school.. do they get banned?

R/r 911

Actually, maybe this town would be kinda neat to live in. Apparently, they are retro 70's letting kids run the EMS and wearing total white with black belts and mega patches. Wow! I bet they still have visibars and Q-2 sirens! Maybe they still carry the old Gould monitors and use telemetry and glass IV bottles. A real living EMS museum!

I do wonder about how many responses a year they do and as well what happens when they turn 18 or graduate from high school.. do they get banned?

R/r 911

I am pretty sure I saw leaches in one of the cabinets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.