Your personal preferance in splinting???

EMT6388

oh i have gotten very creative when it comes to splinting! We carry vac packs at my fire dept.(vollie) but not at the paid ambulance co. where i work...we've used rolled blankets, pillows, rolled cloth chux, board splints, popsicle sticks (i worked at a day camp) for fingers, we even splinted a leg with a folded checkerboard (yes, the game) (it was a kid). You can really use anything if you think about it!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOVE THE SAM SPLINT!!!

Not to knock blankets and pillows... they work great.... but, the SAM fits in a jumpbag... no linen bag required...

The more you use the SAM the more creative you'll become with it... it's a great tool... maybe not the end-all but DEFINATELY something well worth keeping a few of around!!

We have the large orange Ferno cardboard splints and small yellow ones that are a thin sheet of aluminum covered with foam, you can mould them to the injured limb. I think they work quite well.

If you have an angulated fracture, after analgesia, are you not allowed to attempt to bring it back to the midline for splinting?

• 1 year later...

Well instead of starting a new thread, I’d thought hijack this one. Hope its ok?

I want to know what you people think of Air Splints, Ferno Cardboard Splints and Ferno Sam Splints.

In my service were having a few problems with the splints. We mainly carry Air Splints but don’t really use them, but when we go to use them they have a crack or a hole and deflate as soon as you inflate. Were thinking about getting Ferno Cardboard, mainly as it will be more cost effective. What do you guys think? Are they just as effective as the Air Splints?

Thanks

Cardboard splints are cheap and they work. I used them for several years and had no major difficulties. Main disadvantage is that they take up some space and you prolly won't get them in your jump kit. There's a learning curve with the SAM splint. Cardboards are pretty much self explanatory and you can cut them to size if needed.

SAM splints are great - but they are exepnsive down here it kind of precludes them

Air splint i fin are but are pain in the ass reliability wise, and there is a whole cross comtamination issue there as they are meant to be re-usable, so they do cost

Cant say I've used a vacume, but i would think the contamination issue is still there and cost

Ferno cardboard are great, i keep 3 short ones in my whacker kit and just cut/tape together and can

do a whole leg - cheap disposable and and effective, i like it - besides, I experience with cardboard. I had a party one night and after everyone had left fell over and dislocated my knee in the backyard. Being drunk and in pain i figured i must have broke my leg so i splinted it with a pizza box, my belt and strips of cloth from someones shirt that was laying on the ground - got some funny looks from the ambos :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.