BLS 12 leads

mobey

Real convenient how you sneaked past that first "p", like we wouldn't notice. You're playing semantic games. You know what I meant. I am not ignorant of Canadian EMS education. But I will admit that I thought you were in Alberta, and not Ontario. I got confused by Squint's "EMT doesn't equal PCP" rant. Sorry about that.

But you also sneaked past my question. What keeps you from going to ACP school?

This is why I hate all people on an ambulance being called paramedic regardless of education. In Mexico I meet several "Paramedics" that only have first responder training. How do I know that? They took the course here in my town with the fire department and now they work as "Paramedics" in Mexico. The public has no clue that there is such a huge difference in skill and education, they only know that a paramedic responded on an ambulance. If education is not going to increase to force all to be at the highest level then we need distinct names for each level so as not to be lying to the public.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you also sneaked past my question. What keeps you from going to ACP school?

Not sure how it's relevant to a discussion on BLS and 12 lead given that during my BLS training we were taught to apply and interpret 12-leads for purposes of bypass decisions (Thanks to all who pointed out that Cath Labs are not always accessible from where they work - this is an urban luxury I'm afraid).

To answer your question - Nothing (the $15.5K in tuition gives one indigestion though).

I start my ALS training in Sept. - takes about a year in these parts.

This is why I hate all people on an ambulance being called paramedic regardless of education. In Mexico I meet several "Paramedics" that only have first responder training. How do I know that? They took the course here in my town with the fire department and now they work as "Paramedics" in Mexico. The public has no clue that there is such a huge difference in skill and education, they only know that a paramedic responded on an ambulance. If education is not going to increase to force all to be at the highest level then we need distinct names for each level so as not to be lying to the public.

To be fair to Mexcio, though, their emergency medicine system (both hospital and prehospital) are still in their infancy. Emergency Medicine as a specialty is just over 20 years old south of the border. Yea, it might be misleading, but I'd give them a little bit more time before they start getting some serious criticism.

To be fair to Mexcio, though, their emergency medicine system (both hospital and prehospital) are still in their infancy. Emergency Medicine as a specialty is just over 20 years old south of the border. Yea, it might be misleading, but I'd give them a little bit more time before they start getting some serious criticism.

But even Canada confuses it's people is my point. They hear paramedic they do not hear paramedic basic or advanced or whatever the heck the call the various paramedic levels. So in the patients minds they have the best care. This is misleading the public IMHO.

Not sure how it's relevant to a discussion on BLS and 12 lead given that during my BLS training we were taught to apply and interpret 12-leads for purposes of bypass decisions (Thanks to all who pointed out that Cath Labs are not always accessible from where they work - this is an urban luxury I'm afraid).

To answer your question - Nothing (the $15.5K in tuition gives one indigestion though).

I start my ALS training in Sept. - takes about a year in these parts.

Awesome, what school are you going to?

But even Canada confuses it's people is my point. They hear paramedic they do not hear paramedic basic or advanced or whatever the heck the call the various paramedic levels. So in the patients minds they have the best care. This is misleading the public IMHO.

I know this is getting off topic, but spec, the fact that you cant even name the different levels of paramedic in canada speaks to the fact that you dont have a clue about the care being provided or the education that is behind that care.

Nobody is confusing anybody. When you call 911 with a medical emergency, a paramedic shows up at your door. What level of paramedic depends on the avaliabilty or capabilities of the system. Either way its symantics...your system has its emts and our system has its primary care paramedics at the basic level...

I believe that our basics have earned the right to be called paramedics

I know this is getting off topic, but spec, the fact that you cant even name the different levels of paramedic in canada speaks to the fact that you dont have a clue about the care being provided or the education that is behind that care.

Nobody is confusing anybody. When you call 911 with a medical emergency, a paramedic shows up at your door. What level of paramedic depends on the avalabilty or capabilities of the system. Either way its symantics...your system has its emts and our system has its primary care paramedics at the basic level...

I believe that our basics have earned the right to be called paramedics

Actually even with the higher education required in Canada it is misleading that a person call an ambulance and expect your low level paramedic to do as much as your higher level paramedic. Yes they get a paramedic in name only. The care will be significantly different between the levels. Yet the public only knows I was treated by a paramedic. IMHO it sucks and is deceiving the public. I do not need to know the levels in canada beyond all of you claim to be paramedics which is all the majority of the public will know.

Perhaps our basics should start calling themselves paramedics so the public does not know they are getting short changed. :twisted:

Actually even with the higher education required in Canada it is misleading that a person call an ambulance and expect your low level paramedic to do as much as your higher level paramedic. Yes they get a paramedic in name only. The care will be significantly different between the levels. Yet the public only knows I was treated by a paramedic. IMHO it sucks and is deceiving the public. I do not need to know the levels in canada beyond all of you claim to be paramedics which is all the majority of the public will know.

Perhaps our basics should start calling themselves paramedics so the public does not know they are getting short changed. :twisted:

Yeah... I mean physicians are misleading members of the public too then! When I go to the ER I expect to be getting an emergentologist.... I find it despicable that I may be getting just a GP who is working in the ER instead. They all call themselves physicians and it is wrong.

[/tongue in cheek]

How is this different?

Algonquin in Ottawa

Very cool, good luck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.