Referring to standing orders/protocols on a call?

vs-eh?

My protocol book has a quarter inch of Iraqi dust on top of it from disuse. But my trusty Tarascon guide becomes more dog-eared by the day from overuse.

Knowing what to do is something you absolutely have to maintain in a high state of understanding and recall. But knowing exactly how to do something is something that, if not maintained through constant practice, you must occasionally be referred back to the books. Nothing wrong with that.

For example, I deal with a mostly young, healthy patient population here, so I don't see a lot of cardiacs. If I have to start a diltiazem or epi drip, you can bet I am going to refer to a cheet sheet before doing so. But there is no excuse for me not knowing when either of those meds are indicated in my patient.

If you have to pull out a cheet sheet before drawing up your RSI meds, that's perfectly acceptable. But there is no excuse for not knowing exactly when your patient needs RSI to begin with. You shouldn't have to go through a check sheet to determine what is wrong with your patient, or what he needs.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally, the only time I use it is to check/confirm drug dosage. I do consult them if doing a peer orientated QA/QI, just to avoid any confusion. Now, the county service I work part-time for has a yearly protocol test, so I usually review those since I don't work under them on a consistent basis.

• 2 weeks later...

Medlink to the Rescue--

We have in house RN in our comm Center and If our flight crews need assistance -- they simply call us over the radio and we get medlink- medlink looks up the protocal and or calls the Medical Director on line..... our HEMS crews never miss a beat with pt care.....

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing this long enough that most of the protocols are etched into my brain however when the call comes in and while enroute if the nature is something that I think that I might be rusty on I will pick up the protocol book which we have in each unit and refresh my memory. I have had younger medics call me during a call they were on and ask quick questions as well. Spending time reading your protocols is never a bad thing and with repetition you will eventually know them like the back of your hand. Its not rocket science here as you have probably learned much harder things such as how to work a computer or post pictures on this forum or other everyday things. Perhaps you referred to the users manual for a new video camera but after several uses you no longer had to do so. Now with that said anytime there is a protocol change you should certainly refresh yourself on all protocols that have been altered.

Yup. We (preceptor, partner, and myself) used it to confirm Benedryl IM doseages on a 12kg pede with an allergic reaction to peanut butter.

And since I am a Medic Stud(ent), almost every pt of mine gets IV, (if I can get the fcuking stick :evil: ), and monitor, for practice.

Even minor C/P gets a 12 Lead.

Better to practice on the well, the the sick.........

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.