Should I Write My Own EMS Textbook?

Should I write my own EMS textbook?  

42 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

What does everyone think? Should I write a paramedic textbook? I would like to do so, only because I don't think the books out there are doing an adequate job to teaching physiology and things beyond the bare minimum. My contempt for Dr. Bledsoe and his book are well known. Does everyone think a new (more advanced and thorough) book is in order?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord help us. He doesn't seem to think very highly of medics based on the way he writes and speaks in EMS magazines- which is surprising seeing as he flaunts the fact that he was one. Just my opinion, but he seems to have a major chip on his shoulder in regards to his possessing a DO credential.

Go for it. There is always a need for another point of view. Tons of books for ER Docs out there. Why not for medics? The career needs to grow.

A thought, since many medics now work in EDs, why not a section on that specific to the ED.

May the best book win.

Chet

I guess the First Amendment provides you the right to draft your own textbook, but that doesn't mean anybody will actually publish it. Those books currently in print, such as Brady and Mosby's are written around the National Standard Paramedic Curriculum and as such meet or exceed the curriculum requirements. During my years of teaching, I have found that all texts on the market contain the same basic material. The only real difference between them is the quality of graphics and the readability. I realize that you, Steve, are one of those people with MD syndrome, and I will not condemn you for that. I spend a good deal of my free time reading texts, research, articles, and even this forum to see what I can learn to improve my patient care. The same is not true of everyone - not all medics are interested in becoming pseudo-MD's. Texts need to be easy to read and interesting, or many students will not read them. If you are so unhappy with the current available texts, you should be lobbying for changes to the National Standard Curriculum.

To the next point, I have not in many years seen anyone as blatantly arrogant as you. I have read many of your posts that berate people with opinions different than yours, you show little patience for the new people who come in here looking to learn from the elders, you have been downright rude on numerous occasions, and you are even so bold as to openly criticize a nationally known and respected EMS Physician. I realize this is also your First Amendment right.

What you fail to understand is that we all have opinions, and they almost always differ. The most productive learning experiences come when there is an open exchange of ideas and opinions. A truly open exchange can only come with mutual respect and tolerance of opposing views. Anything less is oppressive and history tells us oppression often leads to revolution. If you feel compelled to spew your opinions, then you need to learn to accept those which differ from yours. If you can't find something good to say about someone, don't bother to say anything.

Lastly, let me say that I do find many of your posts to be insightful. I do respect your knowledge, and your right to share with the rest of the community.

I said it, I meant it, and it felt good.

If I had MD syndrome, then why am I not pursuing medical school? :lol: I know I'm not an MD, don't really have much desire to be one (the hours suck too much and I'm tired of seeing people die on a regular basis as part of my work- that's one reason I don't want a paid position as an EMT-I again). Just because I know the physiology, pharmacology, toxicology, and other underlying sciences better than 95% of the people on this site doesn't mean I have an ego complex- it just means that I like to know more than the next person about this and that I have made an effort to be the best RT and EMT-I that I can possibly be through better educating myself.

I'm not saying Bledsoe doesn't know what he's talking about- I just have the same opinion of him, that you seem to have of me. He seems like a pompous arrogant doc who looks down his nose at medics, which is something I find especially disheartening seeing as he has advertised the fact that he's still an NREMT-P. I'd expect that kind of behavior from someone who hasn't ever had to fend for themselves prior to becoming a doctor, not the ones who rode the rigs to put themselves through school. Clinically, I've never worked with the man, so I can't say one way or another in regards to his skills, but I have read what he has written and I am not impressed by his skills as an author or educator, which is totally separate from clinical knowledge and ability.

In regards to medics who don't want to learn- perhaps we should be trying to weed out those who don't wish to advance the field (or at least keep them out of ALS level positions)? Just because they don't want to learn something, doesn't mean that they shouldn't be forced to- if you want to be a doc, you have to learn obstetrics in med school even though chances are you will never use it again in what you specialize in. Same thing holds true in medic education- if you want to be a medic you should be well educated enough to be able to not only do your job, but find ways to improve your job and defend why those improvements are necessary. Maybe if we increased the educational standards we could weed out some of the less qualified medics out there.

As for my supposed arrogance, I guess it's just because I don't piss around when it comes to telling someone the truth (also I think it lies in that no one can truly read much in the way of intent when it comes to something said on one of these threads). Granted, I have been rude on a few occasions, but there's reasons for that in the majority of those circumstances- if you're referring to my straightforward approach to the occasional sundry crackpots that have come into the chat room, LittleFirecracker being a perfect example, since I was extremely blunt with her. I don't coddle people who are simply looking for attention, and I don't tolerate liars. Nothing you can say about me, or to me will change that. I speak my mind, I say what I believe and if you don't like it, then don't listen to me. Simple as that, but I do believe you are missing out by viewing me as arrogant- I know what I know, and I will correct people when they are blatantly wrong, and I will question someone when I disagree with them- not in an attempt to be discourteous, but mainly to ascertain a couple of points: 1. What is it that they believe about this topic? 2. Why? 3. Do they actually believe it or are they talking out of an orifice other than their mouth? Where the apparent rudeness of my approach stems from is that as soon as you disagree with someone, they assume you're being rude or vindictive.

If I am wrong, I will apologize, and have done so to a couple of people on this forum (EMSGirl and IcyHot being examples), but I refuse to apologize or back down when I am not in error or out of line.

Wow, Buddha... :shock:

Anyways, we use Mosby, it isn't to bad. The pictures are kind of crappy, and some of of it reads like a middle school text book more then a medical text book, but it is ok for what we need it for, that is to pass the NR test.

If the test gets better, then the Text books will naturally get better. Why don't you write a test, instead, Steve? :lol:

:lol: People would eat me alive if I wrote a new EMT-P exam....people gripe about passing the NREMT-P exam now, you'd see a lot more people failing out because they couldn't pass the exam because I would include what is necessary to really understand what is going on with a patient. The test would be more like the USMLE (US Medical Licensing Exam) than any EMT exam you've ever seen. :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Stephen,

Have you lost your mind?? Trying to publish a book is 10x harder than you could imagine. Much less a medical book. Yes I am glad that you know a lot of stuff, but you dont have to shove it to our faces, it makes feel bad, at least I do anyway. I want to learn more, but my resources are pretty limited since I cant seem to get the dman NREMT to send me a passing score, much less post it. Maybe I should just fuckit and retest w/o knowing.

Just because I know the physiology, pharmacology, toxicology, and other underlying sciences better than 95% of the people on this site doesn't mean I have an ego complex- it just means that I like to know more than the next person about this and that I have made an effort to be the best RT and EMT-I that I can possibly be through better educating myself.

Also when you said you know more than 95% of the people on this site, it sounds like you are saying we are stupid idiotic people with a few "smart" ones around. EMS is not a knowledge competition, just learn and specialize in what interests you and what you believe will you give better quality pt care. Yes Im happy that you have your RT and EMT-I, but why not go further and just become an NREMT-P since you obviously know the material so class shouldnt be a crunch, plus not only that you get paid more just for having those 6 extra letters beside your name, in most medical field positions, and some places, even the FD.

Sure you have alot of experience and knowledge but you dont have to flaunt it and be a smartass about it. Stephen, I am not trying to piss you off. You might not think your being arrogant, but sometimes the way you state things you come off that way.

Im not saying you cant write your book, write all you want and maybe someday you will get published and its not a get rich quick scheme. Stephen King wrote for almost 20 years before he became famous for his novels. Just letting you know. Plus its hard to get a publishing house/publisher to take your material. Most writers get turned down at least 100 times before they get their manuscript accepted and that often takes years, doesnt matter how good they may be.

My 02 cents for what its worth.

-Alcomedicism

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.