Autopulse

asys, they saythat even excellent CPR can only replace up to 30ish % of normal bloodflow,as opposed to the 85 to 95ish % with autopulse, and especially in a rural area you tend to get distracted on a code and you may have to stop your compressions for a bit and according to some of the newer literature si saying that any BP you may have built up with CPR will diminish completely, but with the auto pulse only stopping for the ventilations, you can maintain a consitent and appropriate BP,a llowing for much more complete neurovascular circulation.

one of my PartTime services is a Level 1 Trauma center based system with about 110 transporting units throughout MN and western WI and our MD trialed it in the ER on pts who had already been pronounced dead and was getting pts to return to their normal color. we are now using it in one of our Northern sites where i t is not uncommonto have a 35 minute response time, and one of the guys i went to medic school with has used it and has seen great results with it.

• 6 months later...

Oh,, baby.. Just saw one of these things in action. Wow. A cardiac arrest with a pulse

at the wrist? Yep. Pink? Not blue? Yep. And you could put your hand under the band

while it was working and it felt like only a firm handshake. Didn't even hurt your skin.

The Autopulse's not brutally compressing at all as some have said here in this topic.

It was fast. And yes, you can ventilate ok, to good P02 sats with it working. Capnos

matched up too. We thought he was alive, man.

This thing's nothing but good.

Patti :)

This thing's nothing but good.

I define "good" by improved survival rates.

So far, Autopulse has failed at that.

Pink cadavers aren't worth $15k.

To quote a certain movie. No one can raise the dead. But if given the choice of

effective cardiac return versus just two hands in those cases who CAN come back,

I'll fundraise up a storm to meet that pricetag. Because who can put one on a life?

Why not just go with a ResQpod, it increases the pre-load significantly and has proved its worth in the case of both pre-hospital survival and hospital discharge. Plus its only $20! Auto-Pulses are a waste of money, why spend $15000 on a piece of machinery which will not provide an effective return of investment and has been controversial since day one, when that same amount of money can fund almost 6 months of a Medics salary?

I agree with Dust on this one...I think there are better ways to spend $15,000....A pink cadaver means nothing to the family.. They want their love one back alive and kicking...

• 3 weeks later...

I exchanged email with someone from Zoll, because I was trying to get the price to go seek funding. I was surprised to learn that it doesn't interact at all with a defibrillator. So, it seems that once the AutoPulse is connected, you cannot anaylze or shock the patient. YOu can leave the AED connected, but I cannot see how the AED can analyze while the AutoPulse is operating.

Also, it does pause for 15:2, but to go to 30:2, they will charge for an upgrade. I have to believe that at some point, there will be a combination AED/CPR device that works as a single unit.

• 5 weeks later...

gratuitous bump.

I'd love to see more opinions / commentary on this product and / or similar products. if you believe their website, the clinical trials they've done are impressive

http://www.revivant.com/pages/prod_studies.html

Human Short-term Survial Study4

AutoPulse improved field ROSC rate by 74%, regardless of the initial rhythm - *4. Ornato JP et al. Improvement in field return of spontaneous circulation using circumferential chest compression cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Prehospital Emergency Care. 9(1):104.

Human Hemodynamics Study2

AutoPulse-generated CPP was 33% better than manual CPR

Human Short-term Survial Study5

AutoPulse improved the rate of delivery of patients in ROSC sustained to the ED by 35%

• 2 weeks later...

Our system has had the autopulse in trial and now in-service system wide for the last 9 months. There is a cost to consider and one that we did fund raising for through local community council members. How do can you put a equal value on ineffective CPR? In all four of the patients I have used the autopulse on all four have excellent profusion, no not all had a positive out come however vast improvement over conventional chest compressions.

Dust don't resist positive change.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.