Good place to go to college in Canada?

Jesse202

sure it's an opinion, no one said you had to agree mate.

The city (which I will not post the name of, but most know what Im talking about) has done nothing but go downhill for the last few months.It will continue to do so as they lose good contracts, have more senior ranked staff retire and have the crap staff being hired on because they have to, no else is coming along so they take anything that comes in. A good reason for concern.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can't comment on the standards of care within the province because I haven't been in the EMS long enough to make that call. All I know is that if the care being provided is so crappy,then why don't you step up to the plate and start working in a big city providing "platinum care." We can sit here all day and bash other providers,but when the truth comes down to it,we need to be looking within outselves. All i've seen since i've been taking EMS courses is people continually bash providers,teachers,acp and whom ever.

back to the dam topic.....

You can't really generalize what school is "elite" or the best. There are many many many good schools. Consult with the Canadian Medical Association for their accreditations and what schools meet the standards with CMA and PAC.

sure it's an opinion, no one said you had to agree mate.

The city (which I will not post the name of, but most know what Im talking about) has done nothing but go downhill for the last few months.It will continue to do so as they lose good contracts, have more senior ranked staff retire and have the crap staff being hired on because they have to, no else is coming along so they take anything that comes in. A good reason for concern.

OK so don't work for this one preticular service that commanche and the rest of the "crap staff" work for!

There are alot of good services with good level headed quality staff in AB (including the one I work for). Take your time talk to a few of the staff and make your choice based on the "big picture"

oh yay yay, come on people get over yourselves and look at the big picture, look at what is going on. it's just not worth it folks :roll:

Yeah, uh, my JOB is to look at the big picture of EMS. If you're that bitter, cynical and unhappy, maybe it's time for you to move on to a new career.

I'm SO tired of this type of behavior in this industry. You all keep blaming the new hires for the downfall of EMS, and that is BS. It's the egotistical, jaded, cynical people like yourself that are the problem. I've been in EMS for 15 years, and it sickens me to hear these kinds of comments. You are supposed to be a role model for new recruits. Maybe things aren't ideal right now because of the labour shortage, but spouting off this kind of garbage is only making a difficult situation that much worse. How about stepping up to the plate and providing those hires with some leadership and oh, I don't know, MOTIVATION to stay in their jobs and put their hearts into it.

I see students graduating from programs these days with a higher level of skills and knowledge than I ever could have imagined having at that level. They are passionate, determined, and deserve every chance they are given. It pains me to think that they could end up partnered with someone that is this cynical. How quickly will that end their love for this profession? How will that help the situation at all? It will only make it worse.

Cynacism is a disease, and you're a carrier. I'm no blind optimist but I prefer to work hard to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. You should try it some day.

Jesse202... there is an advantage in Alberta to consider (the flip side to the above insular comments). Each service in Alberta is its own entity, either private, non-profit or municipal owned. Which means that one service is not the case for all services... It takes research and instinct to figure out which are good, and which to stay away from. A service's potential is only as good the attitude of its employees. Spend a day or so with any service that you are interested in and just listen and watch the staff... that's the greatest tipoff in my opinion. And is applicable no matter what province or country you want to work in.

Staff that see a problem and are willing to effect change and make an effort to keep morale positive can strongly impact the working environment as compared to constant negative attitudes of obstinate and indolent staff who only point out problems but never offer solutions. Don't let the paltry sentiments deter you from your choices... that is just one opinion and in EMS EVERYONE has an opinion. Some are just a little more professional and diplomatic when expressing it.

I would just like to reiterate 3 of the comments placed here by RESPECTED comparatriates, frankly shocked at the commentary by an individual that should be a positive role model and yes a moderator in fact, and the only one from north of the border, I hang my head in embarresment.

bleep:

Cynacism is a disease, and you're a carrier. I'm no blind optimist but I prefer to work hard to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. You should try it some day.

Bravo! that IS the ticket, I sure hope your well paid to do that job :wink:

Mastabattas:

Don't let the paltry sentiments deter you from your choices... that is just one opinion and in EMS EVERYONE has an opinion. Some are just a little more professional and diplomatic when expressing it.

That was more than polite, the Canadian way in fact !

mobey:

There are alot of good services with good level headed quality staff in AB (including the one I work for).

That would be called "Pride" in the excellence that the public in Alberta have come to respect.

courageheartx:

back to the dam topic..... :!:

Agreed :x

Alberta without a shadow of one doubt has some of the best training institutes in the free world, Alberta in the past has set the Standards that all provinces aspire to attain in delivery of services .... some members that actually admit that they are new to this system.... and also demonstrate respect, yet on the Other Hand I AM NOT a newbee, I am a true Veteran, and my number is so low I have been compared to dirt and I still believe that Alberta is without any question the "GOLD CARD" I have always believed that the attitude of the STUDENT is the bottom line in Education, the institutes present the required information, the ONUS is on the STUDENT not the other way around, This to my way of thinking, is true Professionalism.

In closing, I would just like to point out a wee detail in the Code of Conduct for all ACP members and actually reportable, "do not bring disrespect".

cheers

I work with various services in this province, and the general concensus is that the quality of care is going up.

After fifteen years in the biz, you're still working for "various services" to make ends meet? I think that speaks for itself. Comanche wins.

The people getting hired these days don't have a lot of experience, but that does not mean they cannot provide good care. Exceptional care, even. They'll get the experience they need fast enough.

Plus 5 for that observation. But good luck convincing the rest of the world. I'm getting writers cramp just trying.

I'm going to assume that you didn't mean to make a gross generalization that insinuated that every service in Alberta provides sub-par care. Maybe your service has had struggles; that is no reason to slam the entire province.

Minus 5 for making the insecure assumption that a broad generalisation was specifically aimed at you in the first place.

And SpellCheck is your friend.

After fifteen years in the biz, you're still working for "various services" to make ends meet? I think that speaks for itself. Comanche wins.

Plus 5 for that observation. But good luck convincing the rest of the world. I'm getting writers cramp just trying.

Minus 5 for making the insecure assumption that a broad generalisation was specifically aimed at you in the first place.

And SpellCheck is your friend.

Wow. Really stretching there, eh? I work with various services because I like the variety and as an educator I believe that it would be remiss of me to assume that what happens at one service happens at all services. I said nothing about having to do so to make ends meet. I make my ends meet as an Instructor and adviser, thanks for asking. In addition, my comment was directed to the accusation that the level of care being provided in Alberta is sub-par. No mention was made of a need to work at various services to make ends meet.

Secondly, how exactly do you expect new practitioners to gain experience? Did you all come into this profession with some magic button that gave you this all-important experience without having to actually, oh, I don't know, work to gain experience?

And finally, in no way did I indicate that I believed that the observation was directed at me. I was defending those new practitioners who are being beat-down by cynical, immature, egotistical "experienced" practitioners who somehow believe that their experience (and in Comanche's case, what, is it, 3, 4 years of experience we're talking about?) somehow gives them the ability to speak on behalf of the level of care being provided within an entire province. I have no doubts about the personal level of care that I provide, and nowhere in my post did I make any accusation that I felt that I personally was being accused of providing such poor care.

Never mind SpellCheck, (oooo two spelling mistakes in over 400 words, shame on me) how about Reading Comprehension 101?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.