Do you take Vital Signs ???

owley medic

Since this is in the Funny Stuff category, I will not go into great detail about my mother's 5 ambulance rides (1 ALS and 4 BLS) that she had to endure in 1 month prior to her death. I do have enough respect for EMTs to not stereotype the whole profession. I will say however that not all are created equal. And yes, my mother and I both asked the EMTs on a couple occasions "Do you take vitals?" Since my mother had a AAA, before repair and after, vitals were important. But since she was "a routine transfer" vitals were not taken on two transports. The routine transfer in her case meant her OR time was already scheduled and she was stable for BLS. Also, the physician may not have wanted a paramedic pushing fluids to get her BP much higher. I could also bore you with the details of what I did to the EMTs that showed up with iPOD ear pieces in their ears while moving my mother from the bed to stretcher on the day we decided to admit her a hospice program.

But, since this is in the Funny Stuff category, I'll let it be at that.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this is in the Funny Stuff category, I will not go into great detail about my mother's 5 ambulance rides (1 ALS and 4 BLS) that she had to endure in 1 month prior to her death. I do have enough respect for EMTs to not stereotype the whole profession. I will say however that not all are created equal. And yes, my mother and I both asked the EMTs on a couple occasions "Do you take vitals?" Since my mother had a AAA, before repair and after, vitals were important. But since she was "a routine transfer" vitals were not taken on two transports. The routine transfer in her case meant her OR time was already scheduled and she was stable for BLS. Also, the physician may not have wanted a paramedic pushing fluids to get her BP much higher. I could also bore you with the details of what I did to the EMTs that showed up with iPOD ear pieces in their ears while moving my mother from the bed to stretcher on the day we decided to admit her a hospice program.

But, since this is in the Funny Stuff category, I'll let it be at that.

People like that are what really ruin this as a profession to be proud of.

I don't think weekly or monthly rotations are needed. But every 2 years we should all try what the others do to keep ourselves humble and appreciative. Doctors especially should have to go start foleys, clean bed pans, change diapers, actually start an IV, etc. They think they are so much better than nurses and medics. :twisted:

I don't disagree. I find it a shame that medic programs around here (I can only speak to them) don't have rotations in nursing and retirement homes.

Hear hear for rotations in the ER and vice versa!!! =D> A while ago I had an er doc stop at a mutli-vehicle mvc and when we were finished and ready to go (an hour later) he actually pulled me aside and said "wow, that was amazing...I really had no idea what you guys had to do out here, and hence what you were actually capable of" Can I get a hallelujah?? :angel7:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.