Do you take Vital Signs ???

owley medic

Just a reminder: Until all the eligable doctors were being drafted during WW2, Interns used to get experience by being assigned to ride the ambulances. Not as a ride along with either EMTs or Paramedics, but as the actual ambulance CREWS. They were teamed with Motor Vehicle Operators, actual AMBULANCE DRIVERS, or, from a few years prior to that, a "teamster" driving the horse drawn ambulance.

(I saw a picture of a horse drawn ambulance driver holding the reins from his ambulance, back in the 1920s, just before the man retired as the head of that Manhattan-based hospital's Ambulatory Care Unit, in 1980.)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they would make the nurses (and some doctors) around here do ride alongs each month. Had a run recently where a nurse came up and asked, "Are you in the ambulances that have the red lights and sirens?"

No. I'm just going to put the patient on the cot and push them to the hospital. Oh well, at least I got my laugh for the shift.

-Kat

I wish they would make the nurses (and some doctors) around here do ride alongs each month. Had a run recently where a nurse came up and asked, "Are you in the ambulances that have the red lights and sirens?"

No. I'm just going to put the patient on the cot and push them to the hospital. Oh well, at least I got my laugh for the shift.

-Kat

haha thats cute. lol tell that nurse that she needs to get a clue.

"Do you take Vital Signs?”

"No. I have a thirty-thousand dollar machine that does it for me."

"No. I'm not allowed, because my nursing licence is not valid outside of the hospital."

"No. I only have nine years of college. I think we get to vital signs next year though."

"Heavens no! Wouldn't that kill the patient?"

"Chuck Norris doesn't take vital signs. He takes them away!"

It would be just as ridiculous for me to ask this RN "Are you allowed to empty that catheter bag?"

LOL... that's beauty. :P

Ok so since all of you think nurses should have to ride out in ambulances so many shifts a month, I'm sure you'd agree that you should have to do x number of shifts in the ER, at the nursing home and in home care per week right?

I mean if it's good for them to see our side, it is good for us to see their side.

Get I get a unanimous agreement here?

Ok so since all of you think nurses should have to ride out in ambulances so many shifts a month, I'm sure you'd agree that you should have to do x number of shifts in the ER, at the nursing home and in home care per week right?

I mean if it's good for them to see our side, it is good for us to see their side.

Get I get a unanimous agreement here?

I don't think weekly or monthly rotations are needed. But every 2 years we should all try what the others do to keep ourselves humble and appreciative. Doctors especially should have to go start foleys, clean bed pans, change diapers, actually start an IV, etc. They think they are so much better than nurses and medics. :twisted:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.