Do you take Vital Signs ???

owley medic

This is not a joke but all you can do is laugh at it.

I am sure many of you have experienced situations that make you shake your head in disbelief.

I am refering to the times when someone (Usuallu anorther health care provider) states things like "The Ambulance Drivers Are Here !!!"

or

Asks " Do You Have Oxygen On The Ambulance? "

But today I was asked a question by a, I assume educated, Recovery Room RN,

"Do you take Vital Signs?”

This is realy not a joke,but it is so rediculious you have to laugh.

I am sure the look on my face expressed my absolute "disgust" at the RN's ignorance about what we do. In my 20 +++ years of working in EMS I have never heard of such a ridiculous question. It would be just as ridiculous for me to ask this RN "Are you allowed to empty that catheter bag?"[/b]

:evil: :roll: :x

Owley (and I Do Mean OWLEY)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not funny in the LOL sense, but I almost caused the loss of a contract with one nursing home, because I took vital signs! When directed by the company (a non 9-1-1 server, mostly doing non-emergent transports on pre-arranged schedules) to do the V/S in the ambulance, instead of the patient's rooms, I had nurses actually follow me out to the ambulance, and bang on the 'lances windows, demanding to know why my partner and I were stalling taking the patient to the hospital! We finally started transporting, but stopping on the roadside for the minute needed to do the V/S, out of sight of the sending facility.

"Do you have any o2 on board?" this is what I got asked last week when we had to transfer a pt. Slap on the face...duh!! We have an o2 tank as tall as you. I get so sick of people and their stupidness.

I am currently a nursing student. All my nursing profs seem to be clueless about EMTs and what we actually do. One of the nurses asked me were I work. When I told her that I work for an ambulance service, she responded "Oh, so you drive ambulance." Gosh...this stupidity at a Master's degree level...I think I will go back for paramedic after I am done with nursing. Paramedics have more common sense than nurses!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.