Any easy way to memorize streets?

gvandellen

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I would check out this thread on mapping:

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...;highlight=maps

I much prefer to memorize than map. Between my partner and I, we can get to pretty much all calls in our area and surrounding areas without a map...we fill in each other's memory gaps. We'll pull out the map maybe 2-3 times a month for a quick double check.

As far as getting to that point, I just took one weekend and memorized all main streets in our greater coverage area and all little streets in our regular coverage area. (This is harder with windier road areas) Get a piece of paper and write down all the streets from west --> east, then from east--> west. Say them aloud. Copy the list. Then start trying to re-write list from memory in both directions.

Then do north/south. Start with only major streets/highways, then include smaller ones. You might have to memorize twice if north and south sides of town have different east/west streets. If you forget one, look at your sheet, then continue down the list. Then practice just saying them orally based on images in your head.

Then practice mapping yourself from different spots on the map. When you look at the map, imagine the street. When you're on-duty (or off-duty) driving around to learn your area, imagine the map book. Call the streets before they happen. Practice mapping in your head other units' calls, even if you know you're off a bit. It helps your brain make connects between streets....like Street A is west of Street B somewhere...that sets up the framework, then you narrow down to exactly how many streets apart.

It also helps to look at a big map of your area every now then, instead of the little mapbook pages. A lot of my recall is based on how things are in relation to each other, bigger picture images in my head.

Once you do that, another big one is to memorize the addresses. Is the 5000 block all the way in the west side and the 1300 block all the way east. That way you can start in that direction immediately. Careful is there's a W Main street and East Main Street, numbering usually changes.

Then, you can start memorizing landmarks like schools, parks, government buildings, nursing homes.

As far as getting to hospitals, for the longest time I always mapped myself from the call to the hospital, even if I knew exactly how to get there. Partners would think I was lost and give me directions, but I was doing it so my brain got used to mapping from random directions to known locations (usually it's the opposite)...and only after several months did I stop doing it.

It helps with memorization if you're intimately familiar with your mapbook. If someone gives you an intersection, you should be able to point to it almost with your eyes closed (and if you ever do need your mapbook, you won't be unfamiliar with it). If you want to be that intense about it, that is. :)

It makes things more comfortable for us, gets us there faster than most, we can concentrate on the road (or sleep), and if it's a one of the raare calls that gets our adrenaline going just from hearing it dispatched, we can rely on memory rather than mapbook analyzing skills which can be affected by stress easier.

Also, spend time figuring out which routes are the ABSOLUTE shortest, for different types of traffic, etc...which roads are packed and have a center divide, so you can't oppose traffic.

Non-urgent calls a good chance to practice not using your mapbook or trying shortcuts you see in the map but haven't driven though (sometimes u don't get a chance to explore them on return-trip if dispatch wants you to take a different route back for coverage purposes), as long as you know for sure that you'll know immediately when you've messed up and can get back on track immediately.

I have been in EMS for way too long, and know within a block or two where I am going. Usually.

On the upside, it is usually easy to find the 0-hundred block of most roads, it starts at the square downtown. Other things that make it easy are...

If you have the dispatch computer up in station, the call lists cross streets, so you don't have to ask. If you have to ask the dispatcher, the county follows the ADC brand map book. Every call location includes the map page coordinates, and cross streets.

Driving, or walking around are really good ways to learn. We try to take all new employees to the busy streets, and high 911 activity locations. Either that, or we tell them to buy an ADC map book, and put it under their pillow at night.

I work for two different services. One of the services utilizes the Hudson Map Book. When we get our page, it gives us coordinates that can be easily located in the book. I know the city itself pretty well, but the rural area is a mystery. I have responded to several rural calls that took no more time than if I had actually known where I was going.

The other service I work for uses the old, call dispatch and get directions, and then pray like hell you get there. For the most part, we all know the streets within our PSA, but we provide mutual aid for a neighboring community. When we have to respond to a call in their area, it's pretty much a "wing and a prayer". Just the other night, our truck was dispatched into their PSA and the dispatcher gave them directions. I happened to know the area a little as I have a friend that lives out there. The dispatcher sent the truck in the wrong direction. I called them on the cell phone and was able to direct them to the general area of the call. A one-time lucky situation.

On top of all the excellent advice previously mentioned, I would like to add that I have found it very useful to look at aerial photos while studying from a map. This way you get a better idea of what streets/intersections/neighborhoods actually look like, as well as being able to discern landmarks and scroll through what would be multiple pages of a map. A great sight i found for this is www.flashearth.com (I apologize if the link is not coded correctly, I have never posted a link before and couldn't find any directions despite use of the search feature)

• 2 weeks later...

I have verizon phone and I just got the VZNavigator on my phone and already it has paid off in the number of times I would have gotten lost.. because in my company we are adding in response areas.. like 2 new cities and alot of the people I work with and drive for me since I can't drive right now don't know the areas we are in. so I flip out my flip phone type in where we need to go and the GPS does it for me.. I have had a couple issues so far but then with any GPS or navigator you are going to have some problems like a street that doesn't exist, and in the case of the other day, the street the GPS wanted me to go on was a dead end street and we had to go around a hospital to get to where we needed to go. With any Navigator it's really a Naviguesser.. no worries you will get used to your area or find something that will eventually help you . just remember don't rely on it too much there will be times that a GPS or Computer navigation will end up failing on you.. even maps can because roads change every day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.