AAOS/Jones and Bartlett texts

kuo34

AAOS Nancy Caroline's paramedic textbook: Emergency Care in the Streets is a great book to get basic ideas in simple terms. It as well as Brady and Mosby should all be required. I can not see anyone getting proper education from just one textbook. As a student I often start with the AAOS get the basic overview and then check the other 2 as well as other books and internet sources for a more in depth understanding. If you search the AAOS book by title you will find some discussions about it.

Taken under advisement. We'll be trying out the big AAOS book for the upcoming paramedic course if no objections are found. DD, been super busy. I'm a training officer now and I'm going to have a kid! Life is dynamic. You still out in a sandbox?

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have experience with AAOS EMT-I and EMT-P texts? I know what Brady's and Mosby's texts are like, but none of the schools in this area use the AAOS texts. Any info would be appreciated!
I didnt mind the AAOS but I do prefer Brady over any of them. Personal opinion though.

• 3 weeks later...
As a student I often start with the AAOS get the basic overview and then check the other 2 as well as other books and internet sources for a more in depth understanding. If you search the AAOS book by title you will find some discussions about it.
How is this working out for you? Do you find it takes up too much of your time for the same thing or does it actually provide different views? I've been trying to expand the books I'm studying (not in paramedic school yet), but sometimes wonder if it's useful rereading the same thing from different books or if I should just spend that time studying a different topic.

I didnt mind the AAOS but I do prefer Brady over any of them. Personal opinion though.

Ditto. i had a copy of the EMT-I book and it was ok. I replaced it with a Mosby's paramedic book because it was available. But when i saw the latest Brady book, i realised i wasted my money

How is this working out for you? Do you find it takes up too much of your time for the same thing or does it actually provide different views? I've been trying to expand the books I'm studying (not in paramedic school yet), but sometimes wonder if it's useful rereading the same thing from different books or if I should just spend that time studying a different topic.

It has worked great so far, after 6 exams 97 avg on them. I find that almost always one of the 3 books will give more detail or have a picture or illustration that drives home what is being said. Personally I could not imagine trying to take paramedic w/o all 3 available. Took a lot of extra money but I bought 1 then a month or 2 later another, prior to starting course. It is weird that one book will take a subject and only give a small paragraph, then another book same point will be over 2 pages and have pics, guess each author looked at it differently. Hope this makes sense, no coffee yet this morning. You will also want like a thousand EKG books and all the alphabet books.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm down. The idea of learning each unit (cardiology, respiratory, etc) from different perspectives and different styles seems more inclusive. My only concern is actually getting to read all of them, but makes sense and I'll probably try to do that when I go to school.