Nighshift and girlfriends...

New medic here, 3 months or so on my own at this point. I'm working a full-time nightshift position right now (three 12's and one 4 hr, 3 off) and absolutely loving it. I love that I don't have to deal with supervisors, fire-whackers, and the general public. I have a great partner, and I really just enjoy working so much that it doesn't even feel like work most of the time.

How do your significant others adjust to your schedules? I feel like I'm never around for my girlfriend aside from a few days, and it just kills me. She knew what my schedule was like getting into this (the relationship) , but I know it has to be difficult. I know it would probably be awhile until I could secure a day-shift position, but I'm not entirely sure I would want to.

Input?

• Like 1

New medic here, 3 months or so on my own at this point. I'm working a full-time nightshift position right now (three 12's and one 4 hr, 3 off) and absolutely loving it. I love that I don't have to deal with supervisors, fire-whackers, and the general public. I have a great partner, and I really just enjoy working so much that it doesn't even feel like work most of the time.

How do your significant others adjust to your schedules? I feel like I'm never around for my girlfriend aside from a few days, and it just kills me. She knew what my schedule was like getting into this (the relationship) , but I know it has to be difficult. I know it would probably be awhile until I could secure a day-shift position, but I'm not entirely sure I would want to.

Input?

3 months and already wankin' about not being home??? :?: :roll: :?:

I haven't been home in ten years.

Let's see, how do I deal with working two 24's a week on the ambulance plus the extra day of overtime, coupled with the one 24 a week on the fire department, and the one Monday each week where I teach the Medical Emergencies portion of the EMS degree at the university. Then add that my wife is a full time, fourth year BSN Student who if isn't in class; is completing her 400 hours of externship and 300 + hours of clinical rotation.

So, how do I handle it :?: :?: :?:

I eat a York Peppermint Patty and forgeddabouddit all every once in while! :wink:

Seriously man, If you are cracking already only working three 12's a week, you may want to re-evaluate whether this job is really for you and your love life.

Any one will tell you that public service is not a family oriented profession. I wish you the best of luck however.

I also love third shift. I am going into this hoping for third shift myself. My husband worked 3rd for many years and we had a lot of time together. I worked it before then. Just think of it as reversing the sleep and work time. Make sure you stick to it all the time. 3rd is hard if you re trying to be 1st on the weekend. We found that it is nice to have from 8 in the morning until 2pm.

:lol: Maybe visit her during her lunch if her work schedule is conflicting.

Try this schedule on for size: Work 8 hours a day for 5 days, be off for 2 days, work another 5 days, and be off for 3 days. That is the current scheduling for FDNY EMS. At least you always work the same time of day, Overnights, days, or evenings (for argument's sake, say that equates as 0000-0800, 0800-1600, and 1600-2400).

You end up planning in advance for anything you and the significant other might want to do together.

It does kind of bring up the old story...

A guy I used to work with would quite often call in for a day off, explaining that "Klopman was playing!" It never seemed to follow any pattern, just a sudden call that "Klopman was playing!"

We tried to figure it out, as there was nobody by that name on any baseball, football, hockey, basketball, rugby, tennis, cricket, or soccer team we found listed in the newspapers or on line.

Eventually, we found out Klopman was in a symphonic orchestra.

We asked, what instrument Klopman played, but were told,"Who cares? When he's playing, I'm with MRS. Klopman!"

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.