EMS responding to fire standbys

Don1977

Should EMS respond to all fire calls?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• all incidents that the Fire department responds to
    • just working/confirmed fires or incidents

I here this everyday where I work, other companies get calls and its "station xxx acknowledges call, standing by in station"

This happened just 20 minutes ago for a odor of natural gas at a sewage plant, VFD arrives with an active gas leak, and of course the EMS is standing by, VFD gets mad because thy arent tehre and requested them to the scene, the EMS was kinda mad they had to respond.

Now I have to respond to every call my VFD in this town go to. I agree with taht. Sure it could be a wire down or small trash fire, or the 5 alarm building fire or train derailment. I feel that no matter what it is, ANYBODY can get hurt, so why not respond. Isnt that what you are there to do?? Isnt that what you are paid to do???

So sorry if taht brush fire interupted your precious playstation game or the 4 AM CO alarm interupted your sleep. GET OVER IT! thats what you get paid to do!

It just shows me who is lazy and who is not!

Now what are your opinions about this??

It might be exactly like you said above about someone possibly getting hurt but.............

It could also be your management trying to increase the call volume to look good for someone. The more calls you run the more money you get. hmmmmmmm

That's my take on it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we just, as in this year, changed our protocols so that we never respond with the fire department unless they request us. Such as even on confirmed structure fires if our presence isn't requested we don't go, sadly alot of FFs think we need to be at every little fire and end up asking for us. :(

Actually I don't have a problem responding with fire when they get a structure fire call. I can usually sit back and enjoy the view of a good structure fire.

Sometimes I can get close enough to ward off the nights cold when it's really cold outside

Plus sometimes, just sometimes you get to see the podunk fire department provide a brand new inground swimming pool to the family who didn't have one to begin with. Courtesy of Podunk volunteer fire department.

A co-worker said it best "A new inground swimming pool courtesy of the Deepwater Volunteer Fire Department" (insert fire department name here)

Actually I don't have a problem responding with fire when they get a structure fire call. I can usually sit back and enjoy the view of a good structure fire.

Sometimes I can get close enough to ward off the nights cold when it's really cold outside

Plus sometimes, just sometimes you get to see the podunk fire department provide a brand new inground swimming pool to the family who didn't have one to begin with. Courtesy of Podunk volunteer fire department.

A co-worker said it best "A new inground swimming pool courtesy of the Deepwater Volunteer Fire Department" (insert fire department name here)

Gol-durn boys, we sum damn good ol' fahrfighters! We've never lost us a foundation! Not once never! :(

Hmm. I see I will be the voice of reason here.

*Clears throat, stands on soapbox*

I can comment, having been on both sides of the fence, responding to fire calls as EMS, and as a Firefighter.

Do we go to calls where we really shouldn't? Yup.

That may be a throwback from the vollie days, so they could play with the lights and sirens.

The only time I want to see fire on an EMS call is for codes, difficult access or heavy pts.

Despite what some of the buffoons on here say, not all Firefighters are one track minded morons, or toothless wonders staring at the fire they started 10 minutes ago to get their rocks off.

I am a Firefighter/EMT, currently vollie, working towards getting a paid spot. I am also a Medic Student. I see both sides, and how EMS hates Fire, and vice versa.

Instead of these thread degrading into name calling bash fests, just let it go.

Oh, and Dust...

you can tell the second degree burn on my neck and my Probie who almost got crushed yesterday at a working fire that its not as dangerous.

If fire wants us to standby for dumpster fires I say we stand by. These are among the most toxic, dangerous responses they respond to. Unknown contents (and no I don't care if the mob dumped a body in there. ) Car batteries, illegal hazardous materials, compressed gas cylinders who knows. I would add that the ambulance should remain in a position that would allow them to immediately respond to an emergency call if they were the closest unit.

This is a very interesting topic, I do believe that EMS should be dispatched out on all fire calls except alarm activations automatically because of all of the health hazards on scene, On alarm activations fire command should confirm a working fire then an automatic mandatory EMS dispatch should be in order.

We will send a BLS and a supervisor to all confirmed structure fires, as well as hazmats, confined space etc...ALS will get sent on the 2nd alarm, with report of occupied structure, confirmed victims or at the request of the BLS or supervisor...I don't think EMS belongs at all fire calls any more than fire belongs at all EMS calls....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.