EMS responding to fire standbys

Don1977

Should EMS respond to all fire calls?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• all incidents that the Fire department responds to
    • just working/confirmed fires or incidents

Should fire go to every medical EMS gets because "it could be" a cardiac arrest or "it could be" an entrapment?

There is no perfect answer, but I am of the opinion that no it isn't necessary. In fact its quite often a pure waste of recourses. In saying that there are always times when it would be entirely appropriate for an ambulance to be on scene - just in case!

our system is dual response, fire responds to EVERY EMS call, wheteher its a possible cardiac arrest or grandma that isn't feeling well. EMS responds to all fire calls. Anything could hapen at a fire call as anything could happen at an EMS call, multiple pts could become evident. Being a dual response, we are an all ALS system, so with fire there as well, there is potential to be 4-5 medics on scene. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a medic here. Plenty of helping hands for what may come up.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working fires and CO detectors: Absolutely. Pull stations? Nahhh... why do you need EMS to reset the freakin' Silent Knight panel that fritzed again? Until they confirm smoke/fire etc. it doesn't make much sense for any medical folks to be there... now, when it's confirmed, we definitely need to keep tabs on folks and be prepped for unexpected victims.

I had a standby for a dumpster fire at a pallet factory once... I asked the EMT that I was shadowing why we needed to sit at a dumpster fire, and he told me that out in the industrial area, very good chance a victim had been dumped and the fire set to cover tracks. Never thought of that one before...

On the plus side, it was one of the most hilarious "Here's your Sign" calls I've ever been on! I think I'll post that in Funny Stuff so as not to get too off track here.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I had a standby for a dumpster fire at a pallet factory once... I asked the EMT that I was shadowing why we needed to sit at a dumpster fire, and he told me that out in the industrial area, very good chance a victim had been dumped and the fire set to cover tracks. Never thought of that one before...

That's because you're smarter than him, and weren't reaching into the ozone of stupidity to make up a pointless excuse like he was. I'd have laughed in his face.

I had a partner that wanted to stay at a rollover scene where the van was on fire. Both driver and passenger were found due to not being able to play hide and seek well while drunk. The van was still upside down and the partner wanted to stay to make sure there wasn't anybody under the van, like someone who was walking their dog at 3 a.m. He just wanted to get a little more time and a half by BSing with the cops and firefighters (he gives classes on how to be a wacker). That and I don't think he wanted to get back to the ER because they were busy. :roll:

Per protocol, we are dispatched only to structure fires unless fire determines our services are needed. This is automatic for several reasons. One is to monitor the fire monkeys once their O2 tank runs out. They have to spend fifteen minutes with us checking vitals and so forth. Once we give them the all clear, they can suit back up and play in the flames some more. The other is just in case a fire monkey does something stupid and ends up hurt. I will say this..in most cases we are released within 30 - 40 minutes. The only time in the last two years we were on scene longer was for a garage fire in which we were stationed almost two blocks away and fire was on scene for fifteen hours. We left after four. The other was for a bar fire with apartments above fully engulfed. We on scene for five hours. The fire department was on scene for two days as it continued to rekindle.

So, does EMS need to be called for every fire, no way! It's a waste of time, money, and resources.

Okely dokely. First off, the notion of Fire responding to every single EMS call is BS, and a scam. Now that we have such things as fireproof buildings, automatic sprinkler systems, smoke detectors, and lack of things such as wood stoves and oil lamps, the number of structural fires is very, very small. To keep call numbers up, they respond on EMS jobs. The only EMS job a non-EMS fire company needs to go on is either an entrapment, a technical rescue, or a full blown cardiac arrest with a difficult location. Thats it. Period. End of story.

As for EMS responding to fire assignments, first of all, to the whiners who say "why do we have to respond to ..." Listen, if you are blessed with an municipal area who is willing to throw some money at you so you can have your ambulance and do some good, just shut the F up and go where they send you. Don't think we need to go to the dumpster fire? Probably not. But we'll still go, then we can say "hey, do you need us?" and then they can say "no, were good, its a dumpster fire," then we can go get coffee or listen to the radio. There are worse jobs in the world, and if you plan on only responding to legitimate medical emergencies, you are going to be sorely disappointed. Be glad you have quarters to go back to in the first place.

Okely dokely. First off, the notion of Fire responding to every single EMS call is BS, and a scam. Now that we have such things as fireproof buildings, automatic sprinkler systems, smoke detectors, and lack of things such as wood stoves and oil lamps, the number of structural fires is very, very small. To keep call numbers up, they respond on EMS jobs. The only EMS job a non-EMS fire company needs to go on is either an entrapment, a technical rescue, or a full blown cardiac arrest with a difficult location. Thats it. Period. End of story.

As for EMS responding to fire assignments, first of all, to the whiners who say "why do we have to respond to ..." Listen, if you are blessed with an municipal area who is willing to throw some money at you so you can have your ambulance and do some good, just shut the F up and go where they send you. Don't think we need to go to the dumpster fire? Probably not. But we'll still go, then we can say "hey, do you need us?" and then they can say "no, were good, its a dumpster fire," then we can go get coffee or listen to the radio. There are worse jobs in the world, and if you plan on only responding to legitimate medical emergencies, you are going to be sorely disappointed. Be glad you have quarters to go back to in the first place.

I totally agree!

in my county we have five different fire depts and one ambulance district, all CONFIRMED structure fires get an automatic ems response, and usually once the fire is knocked down and search for victims is completed ems is released by IC. As for if fire rolls, so does ems? That is a huge waste of resources, especially in a community such as mine that is very limited on ambulances. I used to be a ff, and an ambulance being at a grass fire? Whats the point? All I can see from this discussion is a major need for rethinking on the part of the "head honcho" of these ambulance services to reorganize response protocols

Be safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.