• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go big or go home.

That's why I doppler all my patients.

Seriously, what would I need a stethoscope for when I have NIBP and an EMT? :D

True!

I am currently using one of these...

AESA.jpg

A bit pricey but it picks up just about everything 8)

I tried a great number of stethoscopes and finally found that I really like my Littman Master Cardiology. Some providers don't like it due to it being a single head device but after reading the literature that came with it, and a great deal of use, I learned how to utilize the "adjustable diaphragm" and now prefer it over others even when treating pediatric patients.

It's important to note that regardless of which stethoscope you purchase, it will be nothing more than a prop if you don't use it every chance you get. Listen to each patient you provide care for. This is especially true on routine calls. Turn every situation into a learning opportunity. Listen to your children, siblings, parents, grandparents. Listen to every healthy person you get a chance to assess. Having an excellent idea of what healthy breath sounds; sound like, enables you to recognize unhealthy breath sounds and develop clinical judgment about why they sound as they do. This is especially important in pediatric patients.

You really don't need an expensive prop hanging around your neck. You would likely be well served to buy a "high end" stethoscope but you must treat it as the crucial information gathering device it is intended to be.

OK I'm off my soapbox; I really enjoy preaching the "gospel" of standup pre-hospital care! Dust said it best, "go big or go home". I just wanted to add that it is important to be able to understand what you are hearing and how it correlates to your patient's situation.

Minus ten for asking one of the top ten most cussed and discussed questions at EMT City. You know better than that, dude. And minus another five for asking in the wrong forum. :?

I tried a great number of stethoscopes and finally found that I really like my Littman Master Cardiology. Some providers don't like it due to it being a single head device but after reading the literature that came with it, and a great deal of use, I learned how to utilize the "adjustable diaphragm" and now prefer it over others...

Although I generally poo poo any suggestion that somebody in EMS need worry much about their scope, due to multiple factors (not the least of which being that 9 out of 10 medics don't know how to do anything but BPs and simple lung sounds anyhow), I would completely agree with the above testimony. The single-head design of the Master Cardiology is, in fact, one of the best things about it. Dual head scopes are noisier, and you'll never need that bell, nor do most medics even know why they might need it.

Besides the Cardiology STC, there is really no other stethoscope on the market that I would buy for adult use. Those two scopes are the only ones on the market that don't have serious drawbacks to them. I won't even consider a scope that has any of these faults:

• 1. Dual head

2. Dual tubing

3. Skinny tubing

4. Non-durable design

• That rules out just about every other scope on the market.

But again, unless you plan a serious investment in advanced cardiological education or respiratory therapy school, just use whatever piece of junk your company sticks in your bags. You won't gain enough from an expensive scope to make a real difference.

I prefer the ADC 609 scope. It's a step up from the double sprague, and it's quite reasonably priced at $20 bucks. I've also used a friend's Littmann Select Stethoscope, which is more than $50, and I prefer the ADC. For use as an EMT-B all I need them for are B/P's and lung sounds. (Don't know about other states, but NJ's cirriculum now saw EMT-B's should use normal and abnormal for lung sounds. No stridor, wheezing, or rales. Just another way we're getting dumbed down)

So to answer your question, I wouldn't think twice about buying an ADC Adscope 609. Plus it comes in Lavender :D

Also, the search feature is your friend. Had a feeling we talked about this before.

Actually 1Emt-P, you were one of the first posters on that thread. :D

ROFL!

Alzheimers at age 36. Truly tragic. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.