Global Warming and Big Ambulances. An Inconvenient Truth?

Scaramedic

van body ambulances work or even 'mini modular' type bodies which aren't a great deal larger than the van but often allow batter layout and a higher gross weight ( 4.5 t vs 3.5t is common in the UK) -

the car based ambulances are a pain to work in and often offer no alternative than for the patient to be supine on the trolley

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The service I currently work for uses both the Type II and III ambulance. My only complaints are the walls of the Type II slope in towards the top so being a taller person you have to sit sort of hunched over, add to that the lower ceiling height it can make for an uncomfortable day if you spend a lot of time in the patient compartment.

pick a better van then ! if you look at the Sprinter and it's VW sister under the skin (LT crafter) or the Renaul/ Nissan GM europe Master/Interstar/Movano or the ford transit the sides are nearly parallel and perpendicular to give maximum cube size

I also prefer the Type III because the cot can be mounted in the center of the floor and not on one side, allowing you to sit in the CPR seat to access the right side of the patient instead of having to lean over the patient as in the Type II. As far as stowing gear, we carry the same equipment on both types of trucks with no fitment or space issues.

again depends on layout i have seen an optional layout for the Renault Master based Crusader which moves the Mk 6 locking device to the centre of the floor for use with a Megasus trolley at the cost of not being abnle to use the nearside mounted seats particularly well

I've spent a fair amount of time running around in van type ambulances and it isn't a big deal to work in the space provided. Yes, working a code in one is definitely challenging, but you learn to work around each other. I dearly like our Medtec mini-mod and it rides a ton better than our full sized type III F450. My partner keeps telling me he gets "sea sick" in the larger box. Maybe it's just my driving? :lol:

Having said that I have a question, is this really necessary?

603ics.jpg

If I didn't know better, I would think you were referring to fire-based EMS.

In which case, I would say 'no'. :lol:

My only complaints are the walls of the Type II slope in towards the top so being a taller person you have to sit sort of hunched over, add to that the lower ceiling height it can make for an uncomfortable day if you spend a lot of time in the patient compartment.

I agree completely with this statement. My paid service has a handful of the box units and the rest are the type II vans. While patient comfort is an important factor, so is provider comfort. The Ford type II vans aren't too bad and are quite comfortable. However our recently purchased Chevy type II vans are horrible. While they offer a smooth ride, the sides are slopped so much that if you're a tall provider (around 6ft) you are almost doubled over when sitting on the bench seat. Also for the tall people out there, the leg room is non-existent in the driver seat or passenger seat. Makes for a rather uncomfortable shift.

Dad owns a Sprinter. My immediate first thought was "Man, I wish I could turn this into a camp ambulance..."

Sprinters are huge on the inside, and I think they'd make great ambulances here in the US. They handle very well too for a tall vehicle. Oh yeah, did I mention that my 6'1 fiancee and 6'2 father can stand up inside of one with no problems?

I am pretty sure they get better gas mileage than the boxes we currently schlepp.

*shrugs* to each department their own...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

We have a couple of Sprinters, they're like sardine cans inside. I'm not quiet sure which model your talking about but the walls slop inwards about 2 feet from the frame upwards. I'm 6' and I have trouble even walking around to reach things. Not to mention my knees are the in patient's face because of the bench seat and position of the stretcher. I've done long diatnce transfers in them (which is what we use them for). I spent 3 hours in the back one way and will never do it again. My legs fell asleep even sitting in the captains chair. Not enough room. Give me a Type I Mod anyday. Our Medium duty trucks by ALF are a complete waste of money. They come with all the bells and whistles including Federal EQ2B sirens so they are nice, but ideally not applicable.

I love these and wish my agency would switch all of them instead of just the island trucks:

medic162.jpg

medic16-1.jpg

These are the monsters we have now:

nd-654.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.