Vehicle info needed

Capman

weve used them and like the alot, there are some problems however:

1: the air ride system sucks

2: stretcher brackets need to be changed from factory...

3. limited warranty

hope this helps

Hello,

It would be greatly appreciated if there is anyone that could offer information and experience pertaining to the Navistar 4700LP.

http://www.lifestarrescue.com/LSR313/LSR313_Hyper.htm

It would be even better if this information could be comparable to the E350/450 Chassis.

This Navistar 4700LP would be used as a long distance, Interfacility Transport Unit; offering care ranging from BLS to Paramedic Specialty Care (PIFT-CCEMTP).

Is it...

1) ... a comfortable ride for patients, as the patients currently riding in the E350 complain about the comfort level and feeling every bump in the road.

2) ... easy to handle? I have no major complaints about the E350 chassis. I would expect that this Navistar 4700LP chassis would handle equally well, or better. Is this true?

3) ... fuel efficient? Is the DT466 Diesel a decent powerplant for this rig, or is it underpowered, leading to poor fuel efficiency?

Any other information that could be offered would be appreciated as well.

Thanks a lot.

I have experience with the 4400 with DT466 engine and air-ride. It's a great TRUCK, but that's it's drawback as an ambulance...it rides like a truck. The one I drove was used as a rescue (standard cab with 16.5' rear box), which it was great at. The EMTs hated driving it because it was big and hard to maneuver around our town's narrow streets. The DT466 is a workhorse engine, very powerful. Our town had a Navistar-only fleet for sanitation and streets, they all used the DT466 even for 34-yard sanitation trucks and the engines did very well. The mechanics loved them. I don't know about fuel efficiency thou, it wasn't our concern. We were more concerned about power and parts availability/repair turnaround from the city's shop crew.

Bigger isn't always better. It requires a lot more attention to drive. I would stick with the E350/F350 platform if you like smoother rides and driver-friendliness. Go Navistars if you have a lot of patience and truck drivers.

I rode in a few of the Int'l Navistar ambulances were I used to work. They were used for precisely the situation you describe.They were capable of handling 2 stretchers if needed.

They provided a comfortable ride for patients as far as ambulances go, the nurses and medics loved the room they had to work. I never found the power of the DT466 to be lacking. They are a BIG truck. This is as you are aware not a vanbulance. It requires some advanced planning when operating it through traffic and not just anybody can drive it.

Here is a link to some of Duke University Medical Centre's fleet of critical care transport units.

http://lifeflight.dukehealth.org/modules/s...x.php?albumID=5

Disclaimer: I never worked for Duke. The service I worked for had similar units.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.