Are you really part of EMS???

TO be honest, I don't really give a flying leap how long it takes because I will never go that far, I was just guesstimating on the subject. Using the issue as an example, is one year when using it as an example a big difference??

The matter is they must maintain, educate, train, for however many more years then basics do. That was the point I was tyring to make.

So if you were just to dumb to see that fact and just try to pick apart my post to make yourself feel better, then be my guess, it's just too funny.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The matter is they must maintain, educate, train, for however many more years then basics do. That was the point I was tyring to make.

For good reason doctors train longer than basics do. They do everything basics can and then 1000+ times more.

If your solution to making EMS more professional is to make everyone take more schooling then I think it will backfire. If everyone went to school two years to just start in EMS, and everyone comes out as a paramedic, then the system would fail. Sure they would have the education, but they would lack good experience. Clinicals can be great places for experience, but not enough. Because everything in EMS goes back to the basics, we need to have a strong understanding of it. When you are new to EMS and take that first EMT-Basic course you are overwhelmed with information. The course needs to teach the fundamentals and then let the graduate get out and experience the whole deal. They have to start out small then grow. Without that initial experience when they become Advanced Learned Technicians, they will be lousy. When basics are first starting out riding they are taking in a lot of information. Not only are they worried about their patient care skills, now they have to worry about how to drive an ambulance, where to find everything in the ambulance, how to call for backup, how to deal with other personnel (fire, police), how to deal with certain patients, and how the whole system works.

If people came out as medics with lots of education and we got rid of basics (just because they are not as advanced as the medic) then we would really be kicking ourselves. The technician would have to have extended On The Job Training (covering at least a year) just to be comfortable with their skill. Also we would have to worry about losing a lot of people working EMS. We always need people and losing basics would hurt us. I am confident the loss would be due to increased demand on education and time. As advanced technicians it is our job to be a team player. When we find any technician who is not knowledgeable in an area, it is our job to help that person. That concept will only help EMS. To get these "wacker" basics fired up it might take a guiding hand from someone who sees the whole picture.

TO be honest, I don't really give a flying leap how long it takes because I will never go that far, I was just guesstimating on the subject. Using the issue as an example, is one year when using it as an example a big difference??

So if you were just to dumb to see that fact and just try to pick apart my post to make yourself feel better, then be my guess, it's just too funny.

Dude, it was a serious question that I posed. A simple "I'm not really sure, it was just an example" would have done. I wasn't trying to pick your post apart to insult you or anything and no, it doesn't make it any less valid. As I posted, there were several different lengths that you could have posted that I would have understood, but 7 years wasn't one of them.

Furthermore, just because YOU aren't going that far, not that there's anything wrong with that, doesn't mean that OTHERS aren't. Now since you want to sling mud, let me ask you a question. If you are so arrogant and tightly wound that you get this wounded over a simple question, how exactly are you going to survive the clinical part of your education/training where your partner's job is to critique the living hell out of you?

[long post about "EMT-B is an important level because of BLS before ALS and the experience]

If the system is so great, how come you don't see prerequisites about lower level work in medical or nursing schools? There's nothing stopping paramedic schools from requiring/being required to offer longer clinical periods. Several of the things you mentioned apply to physicians too. Physicians have to know when/how to call for help [consults], deal with other personal [RNs, RTs, other physicians, etc]. Yes, their standards are much higher [supply of seats vs demand for seats is a part of this], but the education and clinical time is much longer too, hence they don't seem to have that problem. Therefore, extending the education and clinical time should overcome any difficulties from eliminating the EMT-B experience requirement.

I dont think so.

It's called EMS because its EMERGENCY medical services not Non Emergency Medical Services.

Ummm...thanks for that, but the issue's a bit more complicated like that. That's why there's the whole long thread. Read up for awhile and ask questions before making posts like that :)

Now since you want to sling mud, let me ask you a question. If you are so arrogant and tightly wound that you get this wounded over a simple question, how exactly are you going to survive the clinical part of your education/training where your partner's job is to critique the living hell out of you?
As someone watching this from the sidelines, I think neither of you meant offense, so both should stop from carrying it out further. He misunderstood (I can see why), especially here at EMTCity where everyone jumps you for anything, and I can see why you're upset he slung back at you...but seriously I don't want to read the back and forth when it's coming out of nothing.

Any service that does not do any 911 calls or emergency hospital to hospital transports is not EMS. Do not know if all you do is haul people home and to appointments if you should even be called medical.

In no way, Shape, or form do I consider non-emergency transport services EMS. These people are what I like to call wanna be's
Careful, you're assuming all the transfer ambulance people want to work in 911. Yes, a lot of them got fired from a 911 company or can't get hired, but a lot of them have done the 911 thing already, like the slower pace, need the higher pay, can only work there because of school schedule, or responsible but just not old enough to work for a 911.