Are you really part of EMS???

Okay, here's how it is. Every citizen is empowered with the right of Citizens Arrest. Does that make every citizen a police officer? No.

By the same principle, not every vehicle with "AMBULANCE" on the side of it is EMS. Just because you may end up stumbling upon an emergent patient through occasional bad luck or bad dispatching, or just because your local authorities might ask your transfer company to "light up" the next time two nuclear laden 747s crash into an elementary school full of epileptic haemophiliacs, does not make you EMS. And that goes for all you freelance EMTs who work full-time in the games department at Circuit City too. Just because you carry a seventy-five pound whacker bag in your trunk, stop at a wreck on the side of the road, and hang a custom made badge from Gall's around your neck does not make you EMS either. Thanks for your help, but you can leave now. Or, if you want to really be helpful, pull your ten year old Honda Civic with the $2000 dollar strobe bar sideways across the road to protect the real EMS from getting run over while they earn a living.

Damn, I been hanging around Asys too long. :?

Talk about some deep seeded anger issues. Are you a municipal lifer, or just a trauma junkie? With that type of response you are opening pandora's box. Not all "ambulance" services are non-emergency. SNF are more likely to call their contracted private service in the case of an emergency over the local 911 department, all because they do not approve of their careless attitude. Don't judge those who choose to earn a paycheck as opposed to life long jolly vollies.

Shame on you!

How unfortunate it is that our profession is brought to this. No wonder we are looked upon as the red headed step children of emergency medicine. Doctors belittling medics for their field decisions, er nurses on a power trip, and egotistical ems personnel. Sounds like one big nasty mess that apparently has no end in sight.

Luckily, some of us aren't so biased and are capable of displaying mutual respect.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any service that does not do any 911 calls or emergency hospital to hospital transports is not EMS. Do not know if all you do is haul people home and to appointments if you should even be called medical.

SNF are more likely to call their contracted private service in the case of an emergency over the local 911 department, all because they do not approve of their careless attitude. Don't judge those who choose to earn a paycheck as opposed to life long jolly vollies.

Shame on you!

Are you sure that it is more of not wanting to deal with the 911 system, or a silent prayer for a pair of idiot EMTs who doesn't know what they're looking at? I'm saying that because if a basic is on scene of a critical SNF patient, then they should be requesting ALS [transport time dependent, of course], so the end result would still be the same [ALS on scene].

Before anyone asks, yes I've gotten the thick accented "Patient very sick, you take patient now" speech several times, and had no problems calling 911 for a medic over the facilities objections if I felt the patient required it.

Talk about some deep seeded anger issues. Are you a municipal lifer, or just a trauma junkie?

I hope you paid better attention in medic school than you did in psychology class, because you are a complete FAILURE at psychoanalysis. :roll:

I am the most anti-municipal, pro-private advocate you will find at EMT City, besides GulDukat.

And trauma bores me to tears, because I far prefer the intellectual challenge of practising medicine over the monkey skills of simple cookbook first aid.

You are also a FAILURE at reading comprehension, as I did not disrespect anybody. In fact, I have gone out of my way to express my respect for transfer personnel. That does not change the fact that they still are not EMS. Not being EMS is not a disgrace or anything to be ashamed of. It's just a simple fact. ER nurses are not EMS either, but I don't see them getting bent out of shape about it.

At least we agree on the volly thing.

Are you sure that it is more of not wanting to deal with the 911 system, or a silent prayer for a pair of idiot EMTs who doesn't know what they're looking at? I'm saying that because if a basic is on scene of a critical SNF patient, then they should be requesting ALS [transport time dependent, of course], so the end result would still be the same [ALS on scene].

Before anyone asks, yes I've gotten the thick accented "Patient very sick, you take patient now" speech several times, and had no problems calling 911 for a medic over the facilities objections if I felt the patient required it.

Are you assuming that the medics are only in 911?

No, but I do think that a majority of transport heavy services offer primarily BLS transport/response. Of course my view is skewed because I grew up and worked in the heart of fire-based EMS land where there were no paramedics outside of the fire department. I do believe, though, that in a real emergency [as opposed to a non-emergent SNF -> ER, BLS or ALS] that the facility should be calling 911 to get the closest ALS unit available, and not an ambulance company directly.

I hope you paid better attention in medic school than you did in psychology class, because you are a complete FAILURE at psychoanalysis. :roll:

I am the most anti-municipal, pro-private advocate you will find at EMT City, besides GulDukat.

And trauma bores me to tears, because I far prefer the intellectual challenge of practising medicine over the monkey skills of simple cookbook first aid.

You are also a FAILURE at reading comprehension, as I did not disrespect anybody. In fact, I have gone out of my way to express my respect for transfer personnel. That does not change the fact that they still are not EMS. Not being EMS is not a disgrace or anything to be ashamed of. It's just a simple fact. ER nurses are not EMS either, but I don't see them getting bent out of shape about it.

At least we agree on the volly thing.

Maybe you should read your own post for comprehension.

If you want to discuss Psychology and psychoanalysis, then I would be more than happy to oblige, especially with your perceptions.

If an intellectual challenge is what you seek then perhaps a lesson in humility would be beneficial for you. The first step to any issue/problem is admittance.

Suppose there is no need to log the meds used on patients for treatment when they are on a transfer ambulance, since they're not a real ambulance.

(twang) We only got sum string, scoch tayp, and krayns on are band ade buggy. Whatchya got on yur speshulised emurguncy ambalans? :)

No, but I do think that a majority of transport heavy services offer primarily BLS transport/response. Of course my view is skewed because I grew up and worked in the heart of fire-based EMS land where there were no paramedics outside of the fire department. I do believe, though, that in a real emergency [as opposed to a non-emergent SNF -> ER, BLS or ALS] that the facility should be calling 911 to get the closest ALS unit available, and not an ambulance company directly.

I agree with ya JP. A majority of inter-facility transfers are BLS. If your business is non emergent transfers then it makes since to staff your units with Basics. Why pay a Paramedic a higher wage for BLS calls. Even if you do ALS transfers having 1 Medic unit a shift should cover your needs.

Maybe you should read your own post for comprehension.

If you want to discuss Psychology and psychoanalysis, then I would be more than happy to oblige, especially with your perceptions.

If an intellectual challenge is what you seek then perhaps a lesson in humility would be beneficial for you. The first step to any issue/problem is admittance.

Suppose there is no need to log the meds used on patients for treatment when they are on a transfer ambulance, since they're not a real ambulance.

(twang) We only got sum string, scoch tayp, and krayns on are band ade buggy. Whatchya got on yur speshulised emurguncy ambalans? :lol:

Are you sure you want to pick this fight?