PTSD

I agree with Asys.

These guys need to be off the street and need to be off the street now.

My wife was raped in college and it still stays with her.

These guys are dirt plain and simple and the fewer days that they spend on the street from here on out are days that the public is at risk.

Get counseling and press charges against them.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just trying to stay away from counselling. Yes, I know it would probably help, but to tell the truth, I don't trust people in that field. I've gone before, when I was a kid and about six months ago, but they didn't help. Both times, all they seemed to want to do is say, "Anti-depressant! Everything's fixed!"

If they just want to put you on drugs then I'm guessing you've seen a psychiatrist in the past? A psychologist might be more the thing. There are many options that do not involve drugs.

As others have described there are more legal ramifications than you have seen.

In regards to counseling, if you truly have PTSD and I am assuming possibly other s/e of pyschological trauma. Taking prescribed medications for an illness is NOT wrong, if it is needed. Sure, there is more to counseling than that, as you described, though; you have been through this avenue prior so apparently there maybe even more potential problems than the recent events).

PTSD is an illness related to a traumatic event. It should be treated by a licensed professional per counseling, medications if need be, and therapy. Again, in comparrision to physical illnesses, we would never deny to withold therapies and medications to those that need it. Since you are having symptoms of even considering yourself PTSD, and it appearantly has warranted you enough to reach out for help, (as you should) and to seek assistance of others, which is good, take appropiate action.

I highly enourage you to seek professional counseling with those that have experience and specialty in post sexual assaults. There are those that have speciality and exposure of working with victims of such crimes and exposures. Only they can really begin to get the healing to begin. Remember, one has to be patient and there is no instant cure. Unlike, other parts of the body, it takes the mind and soul time to heal.

I and others wish you the best of luck....

R/r 911

Yeah, I was kinda surprised with the punishment of the firefighter. This is his second offense in less than a year. First one was bringing a loaded weapon into the station, which a probie accidently fired. Main reasons he didn't get fired? As it was explained to me (civilian), he's a merit firefighter and it's hard to fire them. Also, his dad is head of the union. It's all in who you know.

R/r 911, the time I went through counselling when I was a kid was when I was on chemo. One of the side effects was depression. That was NOT a pleasant time.

-Kat

Okay, here we go again. Lets crack our knuckles here. First off Kat, we live in the 21st century, not 1952. Now while this means we have to put up with rap music and cellphones, it also means that there are federal laws in place to deal with this type of incidents. The reason he is still riding the great big fire engine and playing hero, and not behind bars is because of the fact that you are allowing it to happen, not because he is a merit firefighter, and not because his dad is the head of the union.

I mean assume you filed a police report? Went to a DA? The whole shebang? I'm getting the sense that none of this happened, and you're of the old school "handling things our way" mentality. If thats the case, no shoulders to cry on are going to help. Either stop being a victim or continue to be victimized. Thats all there is too it.

As for psychiatry, a psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in mental illness and mental issues. A psychologist is a trained counselor. Psychiatrists are not just there to "push meds", they use all aspects of psychology, physiology, and pharmacology to treat an illness, while a psychologist only uses some of those.

I think we get carried away a bit with wondering what happens to these guys until we define "sexual assault."

I know it's not the politically correct thing to ask, or do, but the rest of the conversation is simply scatter gun advice...as well as some things here don't seem to make sense.

If we're talking rape, obviously there are serious issues that need to be dealt with, for this ladies protection as well as those of the surrounding female population.

If the assault was an off colored joke? We could be off in the ditch here.

I'm not asking for the above description, simply stating that it will be necessary to give it to someone you trust if you're goal is accurate, productive advice.

If this was a humiliating, traumatic event, I suggest you take it to a professional...But you already knew that...

What I can tell you, having two family members that were violently raped, is this is not the way to cope, heal, or bring closure.

Good luck to you.

Dwayne

Dwayne, I think you're confusing sexual assault with sexual harrassment. By all the definitions of sexual assault, and you're right, they are varied, not necessarily rape, but an off color joke doesn't fit the bill.

But all the definitions of sexual assault, up to and including rape, don't buy you a ticket back to probie school,

Speaking of going to the Psychiatrist, if you had a nonproductive time with one, seek out another one, and if need be, yet another one. Not all of them are pill pushers, with a different colored pill for each day of the week, and hour of the day.

Although a different scenario, I was robbed at gunpoint in the stairwell of a public housing project, while returning from a date with my girlfriend, who then lived in that particular building. It is 15+ years later, but, with proper psychiatric help, I don't have the nightmare, with open eyes (!) of being back in that stairwell.

Glad to hear it! Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

:)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.