NREMT PARAMEDIC WRITTEN EXAM INFORMATION

A tip from the Peanut Gallery?

Slow down.

You OWN the proctors at these stations. (I worked as a proctor for a couple of basic NRs)

Everyone worries about how they look, that makes them nervous, and they forget stuff. This is butt simple. Take your time, do your thing, when they ask "is there anything else you'd like to do or say?" Start from the top and do it all over again.

If you don't know what to say, get a brain freeze...say "I'm going to check/recheck PMS."

When I went into my KED station the proctor was a lady, with hug muscles, five O'clock shadow, and boobs. (appeared to be a man, living as a woman) S/he caught me completely off guard! (I mean no disrespect to this person, it's simply that my personal experience hadn't prepared me to digest this contrast in just a few seconds without asking questions, which I felt would have been inappropriate at the time).

So I turned to my 'patient' and said "Hi, I'm Dwayne, do you know where you are?" (Yeah, goofy, but if it's not on the critical fail, so what do I care?) "I'm going to assess PMS", "Do you remember the accident?" (Again, not on the skill sheet right?) The proctor seemed to be having no end to fun at my expense.... :shock:

The point being this. It didn't matter if s/he thought I was smart, competent, politically correct, or handsome. It only mattered that in the next ten minutes I hit each check box and went on my way. (We later sat down, after I was done testing, and not only is s/he much funnier and smarter than I ever hope to be, but explained that s/he in fact did have a great time watching me process my thoughts/feelings :wink: )

You have what? 10 minutes to do a 3 minute skill? Do it, then do it again, go home and worry about things that are really hard.

You'll nail this. Just don't confuse yourself by thinking that the proctor is responsible for your pass/fail. They are there to mark the little boxes (just like in basic). You control the stations, you decide what gets a checkmark and what doesn't.

It really is as simple as that...

Good luck to you all.

Dwayne

Edited (as always) for spelling.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of good advice, thanks.

I spent about an hour and a half this afternoon with my two lead instructors, and friend playing the patient reviewing LSB. It's not that I don't know the skill I just feel its better to practice it and get feedback prior to doing it again. My biggest issues are not time. First though what appear to be how tight the straps are. Second making sure the patient gets on the board from the log roll well and keep movement down.

How many of you that did the station or have experence giving it used 3, 4, or 5 straps on the patient? Any opinion on straping hands in, or another method of securing them?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.