NREMT PARAMEDIC WRITTEN EXAM INFORMATION

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT I PASSED THE NREMT PARAMEDIC WRITTEN EXAM THAT CAUSED ME ALMOST TO HAVE A NERVOUS BREAK DOWN. ITS A VERY TOUGH TEST AND I NO HOW PEOPLE FEEL THAT ARE HAVING PROBLEMS PASSING THE NREMT PARAMEDIC EXAM. IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE TEST PLEASE REPLY TO THIS POST. I HAVE MANY WAYS OF STUDYING AND NO PRETTY MUCH THE BIG TOPICS THAT ARE GUARANTEED TO BE ON EVERY TEST. HOPE EVERYBODY DOES WELL IN THE END.

I thought that everyone was suppose to have switched to CBT by now...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, the first thing anyone taking this test should do is... relax. How in the world can your brain perform at its peak when you're stressed out and worried.

Cramming for the test is a bad idea. Hopefully, your paramedic program was at the very least 1500 hours didactic not including your A & P. You can't cram that many hours of education into 30 days and expect it to become established in your long-term memory. It's fine to take practice tests out of some of the commercially available study guides. It's best not to study the night before any exam. If you don't know it, you don't know it.

I would hope that someone would have pointed out the fact that there is often two answers that seem correct on this exam. In some instances, you have to pick the answer that is MOST correct. A great number of questions on the exam are worded in "ALS speak" but have very basic answers. Read the questions carefully. Read each word of the answer carefully. Be on alert for double negatives, something commonly missed when people read faster then they comprehend. Don't get let your self get fooled by this type of question:

A 58-year-old male is complaining of chest pain at a local doctors clinic. His current vitals signs are BP 132/58, HR 48, sinus rhythm, RR 14 and labored. There is an IV in place, and the doctor has administered Aspirin 162 mg which the patient was able to chew without problem. The patient has no medical history and takes no medications. He has no known allergies. He describes his pain as "an elephant is sitting on my chest," and states his jaw and left arm also ache. What would be your first drug choice for this patient?

A. Nitroglycerine, sub-lingual, 0.4 mg.

B. Atropine, IVP, 1 mg

C. Oxygen, 15 lpm by non-rebreather mask

D. Atropine, IVP, 0.5 mg

A gung-ho medic student, eager to save lives would probably choose A or C. They both seem correct. The patient is bradycardic. The dosage of Atropine is 0.5 mg for symptomatic bradycardia. However he does have chest pain, so you could give nitrospray for the chest pain, after all the doctor took care of the whole aspirin thing for you. What a dilemma!! When you read the question very carefully, and remember way back to EMT school, what would you have answered then? Hopefully, C. The first DRUG you want to administer would be oxygen. It's amazing to me how many people that take this test forget the basics first. It's also amazing how many times you'll see what you think is the right drug choice only to notice that the dose is not correct.

Take your time, read each word of both question and answer, relax, and go with your instinct. You might feel your answer is correct because it is correct. Don't second guess yourself. Be confident in yourself and your education, and go in knowing you're going to pass the test. I've met several people over the years that have failed the test three or even six times. You can tell by talking to them that they set themselves up for failure. Believe in yourself!

Finally, you can't get tossed into a prison camp because you fail the exam. You just have to pay the registry some more money.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.