Colleges

Well I want a college with a good medical program.

Come on, Girl! You gotta do better than that! You've been here awhile. You've seen all the information we offer people who ask for help or advice. We love helping! But jeeze... you gotta at least meet us halfway. Ask us a specific question that we can answer!

At this point, I think most of us are concluding that you aren't ready to look for a school, because you have not yet even decided what course of study you are considering. First things first. If you want to talk about educational options, we can do that too. No problem. But "medical program" doesn't tell us anything at all. Narrow it down for us, or ask us to help you narrow it down. But right now, seriously, nobody has a clue what you are asking.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay here is what I know for my first to years at college I'm staying home and going to a Community College to get my EMTB and Paramedic. Than I want to go some where to become a ER doctor and minor in criminal justice. I was looking at UTK University of Tennessee at Knoxville but recently I have decided I would like to go to school in NC. I have taken the ACT but I'm going to retake it because I wasn't happy with my score. I want a school that has a good program for ER doctors.

Okay here is what I know for my first to years at college I'm staying home and going to a Community College to get my EMTB and Paramedic. Than I want to go some where to become a ER doctor and minor in criminal justice. I was looking at UTK University of Tennessee at Knoxville but recently I have decided I would like to go to school in NC. I have taken the ACT but I'm going to retake it because I wasn't happy with my score. I want a school that has a good program for ER doctors.

I'm a bit confused with part of your plan. When you go to this community college, does it award you some type of Bachelor-level degree? You will need that before medical school. I also don't think that you can minor in something while studying medicine, but maybe you meant that you wanted to minor in criminal justice in undergrad.

A school that has a good school for ER doctors will be any medical school that you can get into when the time comes :wink:

Community colleges with Bachelor's ?

the way your plan is, I see 2 years in community college, (little to no credit's will carry over for this combination major/minor) 4 years Bachelor degree Pre-med/minor criminal justice 4 years of med school, then few years of residency? 4?5?(don't remember)

Or do you think you are going to do 2 year community college 2 years to Bachelor pre med/criminal justice, then med school, and residency?

You need to start answering posts with more then just simple answers.

Yes, it does have a Bachelor-level degree which is why I want to go there.

Barley begins to answer BEorP's question.

Eh, I kinda have to straight up here. You're not getting into a medical school if your entire bachelor's degree is from a community college, even if you're a straight A student, top of your graduating class. The only exception I can think of is if you happen to be a genius and a super high MCAT, higher than a lot of those Ivy League undergrads are getting....which would be hard to do having only taken community college classes.

Also, if you're truly interested in medical school, I wouldn't waste too much time getting your paramedic cert while you do other school. It's hard enough getting good grades taking classes like Organic Chemistry and Immunology and Calculus. You probably also want to leave room in your schedule for general ed requirements and others that will make you a more rounded person.

It seems like you're a little confused on the order of things.

You do your four years of college at once, taking all the required classes for graduation and for your specific degree and the pre-reqs for medical schools. THEN, you apply to a separate medical school that only teaches medicine (not medicine and criminal justice). You go through that, then go into internship/residency/etc.

So, if you want your CJ degree, I would take that while you're getting your bachelor's degree along with whatever you undergraduate major will be. You won't have time later, I'm pretty sure.

I really really really recommend setting up a meeting with your high school college advisor and coming up with a plan. Only go to a community college if you're going to do their formal transfer to a state school program. Also at a 4-year you'll have advisors that specifically help you prepare for applying to medical school.

There's a couple docs and some premeds on this site, so they might post with more info than what I know...but you could probably find some premed forums online, too. But nothing beats in real life consults with your advisors.

You could major in anything you want and still apply to medical school.

Look into majoring in Criminal Justice with a minor in Biology. The minor in Biology will probably ensure that you taken the necessary medical school prerequisites such as: general chemistry, general biology, organic chemsitry, physics, ect.

You then take the MCAT, do well at it ( because if you really want it, you'll study hard to get a good score), and wait for interviews.

Its not easy, it really isn't. Its definitely not for the weak hearted so make sure that its what you want to do. Talk to your advisor and maybe even your personal doctor...

1. Besides getting into a university, your ACT score has nothing to do with medical school. The MCAT [Medical College Admission Test] is the test for medical school.

2. Your undergraduate school has nothing to do with medical specialties outside of getting you into medical school.

3. Your medical school will probably have nothing to do with your specality. You specialize after medical school during your residency.

3.A. While 3 might be untrue in some cases, you still have to get INTO medical school anyways. Realize that there are over 30k people applying every year for MD programs and only about 15k spots. It's not unusual for a school to get over 8,000 [yes, thousand] applicants and interview less than a thousand people.

4. State schools are your friend, unless you live in California [Too many people applying jacks up the competition].

As have been said before, you can major in just about anything. The general requirements for medical school is a year of biology, a year of general chemistry, a year with organic chemistry, a year of math [Calculus or higher. Most will accept 1 semester of Calc and 1 semester of stats], and a year of physics. Labs required as apporpriate [admission committees realize that not all schools will offer the same courses. So, for example, your university is on the quarter system and only has lab for 2 quarters, don't worry about it. If you still aren't sure, you can always call the medical school's admissions department and ask]. Humanities majors actually have some of the higher success rates, but this could be a correlation!=causation problem.

An alternative, if you don't plan on working internationally, is an osteopathic medical program [D.O.]. They have the same practice rights and, for the most part, the same education. The average admission stats are generally lower, but they generally require a letter of rec from a DO.