Medical conditions that prevents you from being a EMT/PMedic

Panda_Bear

Panda Bear, AKflightmedic gave excellent advice. As Dwayne previously said, I lost a career in field EMS because I had a seizure while on duty. In Florida, you must remain seizure free for 5 years before you can work on emergency vehicles again. If you have a documented seizure disorder, I think this would disqualify you from field work. And if you think about it, it makes sense. Thank God I didn't seize while behind the wheel of the ambulance! Also, you probably know that strobe lights can induce seizures in those prone to them.

At any rate, like AK said, there are so many alternatives to pursue, having a seizure disorder certainly doesn't bar you from a career in EMS. I now work in an ER, and it is as good an experience as I had in the field - just different in some ways. In a lot of ways, I have gained more experience in a shorter period of time because we deal with many patients at once, all day long.

Good luck to you! If you really want to work in the medical field, I gaurantee you can regardless of having a seizure disorder.

[/font:9694552d56]

Thank you all so much! I've been having this idea going through my head for along time now, that having seizures will prevent me from most medical careers. Thank alot.

Becksdad, I was wondering if you could give me some detail info of what jobs in the ER is good for a person with "Controlled" seizures, which I believe that I am. Thanks.

Again thank you all on your feedbacks

Panda Bear, the most abundant jobs in ER's for EMT's & Medics are Tech positions. Responsibilities in these positions vary between geographical areas and facilities. There will be a great deal of non-glamorous tasks such as changing beds, stocking supplies, emptying trash, placing foleys, etc. But these things are required in nursing and EMS in the field also. Every position nearly everywhere includes tasks you may not like. Oh, well.

But there is plenty of patient care, too. Assessing patients, wound/orthopedic care, blood draws, possibly I.V.s (depending on the facility), etc. I also know several Medics who do sedation in hospitals for procedures on pediatric patients. The list is nearly endless. But if you are in school now, the possibilities expand even further. Since you are interested in being a Paramedic, You could pursue Respiratory Therapist. RT's do probably the closest things that are attractive about field EMS. Where I work, RT's do not only updrafts, vents, and all things respiratory, but 12 lead EKG's, ABG's, and more. The whole medical field is wide open and in demand. If you are in school, the choices are almost endless.

Again, good luck in your pursuit!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.