E-Z IO

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two of the departments I work for have them on their trucks. I have used it 3 time in the past year, and loved it. I ended up getting certified as a trainer, and work with our regional rep backing him up on training for them. The biggest problem I have is that when I have an EMT-I on the crew, they won't step up to use them. I look at these as teaching moments, and I like to let someone who has never done a skill before do it under supervision. I do this because this is the time to make a mistake. Does anyone else have problems with passive EMT's

Does anyone else have problems with passive EMT's

I have no problem with EMTs at all, since I am lucky enough to live and work in systems where they don't exist. :D

But I would submit that you are not doing these EMTs any favours by teasing them with skills they aren't qualified to perform before they have the necessary education. In fact, you're probably violating the law in doing so. In which case, I would say YOU are the problem, not them. I know of no state medical acts that allow a paramedic to delegate his authority to practise.

I know of no state medical acts that allow a paramedic to delegate his authority to practise.

Kalifornia does under the EMT-1 (EMT-:D "Optional Skills." EMT-Bs can, with additional training, perform manual defibrillation under the direct supervision of an EMT-2 (intermediate), EMT-P, or MD as well as start IVs under the direct supervision of an EMT-P. I'd bet money that the counties using the optional skills are few and far between because there needs to be a reason to actually implement them that is approved by California EMSA.

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/legislation/FinalAp...pter3242007.pdf

Optional skills start on page 11.

In the State of Ohio, an EMT-I is allowed to perform IO's both manual or the EZ-IO. Our State and local medical director have approved this skill in their scope of practice, and in addition I have taught the mandatory in-service that they had to attend to be allowed to do this skill.

I can say none from what I have seen thus far from personal experience. I have had correct placement as checked by my medical control in all of the attempts. The EMT-I's that I have dealt with that have done this skill has had correct placement as well. I will absolutely agree there is the potential for incorrect placement. I think that proper training is essential, and are required to sign off on this skill at least quarterly with the medical director. If the provider fails the sign off, they are required additional remediation with the Training Officer and Medical Director.

Ah, well that is a different scenario from what it appeared you were talking about in your original post. You asked about EMTs, not Intermediates. I was picturing you letting basics perform advanced and invasive skills just to stroke their egos. If you are talking strictly about Intermediates who have been properly and adequately trained and certified to do so, then I don't have a problem with that.

I apologize Dustdevil for not making my statement a little clearer. That is my fault. Nope as far as the IO's go, I was referring to the EMT-I scope of practice. I know there is another thread for it, but we are now letting the EMT-Basics in Ohio do CPAP

I don't have a problem with basics doing CPAP.

Although, that assumes that I can get past being against them being on an emergency ambulance to begin with. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.