Scandal- Does this make the organization look bad?

emt12resq

I'm from a very small town where everyone knows everyone elses business. Therefore, I have a question.

The asst. chief of the volunteer fire and rescue organization I am a part of is dating a girl who is a 16 year difference in age. That may not sound too bad but lets add that she is a minor.

I could care less what they do behind closed doors, but I feel the community looks at the organization as a whole and him being the asst. chief it looks bad on the agency. Please someone tell me if you feel the same. Or you think its a waste of worrying.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there may be a moral question here depending on one's personal values. More concerning here is the legal question that is raised by her being a minor. Depending on which state you are in he could be committing statutory rape, and that is definitely something that you would not want making the evening news. If you decide to do anything about it, check your squads SOGs. Many smaller or rural agencies still have rules that deal with things that fall under the "conduct unbecoming" catagory.

If there is anything I have learned, it is that relationships among co-workers and other relationships that could be considered inappropriate are going to happen in this profession. Scandal and drama are a daily occurence almost anywhere you go. It is best to keep your head down and stay under the radar.

It’s hard to say…

How does the law shine down on this? Is the age difference illegal? If all’s well, then all’s well lol…

As you said in a small community things are hard to keep secret. If their doing things like being with each other on duty or acting inappropriately while volunteering in any official capacity then there’s cause for concern. If everything’s done by the book or done out of hours then they’d be in the clear but unfortunately some community members frown down on such behavior.

Unfortunately this is all to common in volunteer services.

I wouldn’t be too concerned unless the service is brought into disrepute or it somehow effects the day to day operations.

Depending on which state you are in he could be committing statutory rape, and that is definitely something that you would not want making the evening news.

That is only if we make the assumption that they are having sex.

I'm not saying that it is right (I don't agree with it) and in my opinion, it definitely makes your whole department seem unprofessional. The point I was making though is that it is one thing to say that what he is doing is "wrong" in the opinion of most people, but it becomes an entirely different thing when accusations of rape start being made.

An easy solution would be for you to just leave the volunteer agency.

Ha, I spent my night in dispatch watching that yesterday.

You know, I'm not from a small town, so I couldn't say for sure, but yes it doesn't seem like a good image of someone professional who has everything squared away and above issues like this. It reflects his work quality too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.