Code Blue boxes, circa 1980s

Anyone remember these things? This was my first personal kit. As I recall there were 4 models to choose from. A small first aide/trainer's box, the box pictured with two fold out shelves. A box with three fold out shelves which were transparent and had battery operated lights that came on when you opened up the shelves. And finally a big old trauma box.

Anyone else remember or have one of these things?

<a  href=&#091;IMG]http://img17.imagevenue.com/loc675/th_85062_100_0551_122_675lo.JPG' alt='th_85062_100_0551_122_675lo.JPG'>

You know what I always loved about those things? You make them out of tan and brown plastic slap a fish decal on them and they cost $14.99. You make them out of orange plastic and slap a star of life decal on them, $79.99!!

Kinda like a plumbers or utility truck that increases from $50k to $150+k w/lights and sirens and a cheap cabinets.

Never seen Code Blue, but used many of Plano 727 then 747. A lot better than the Rescue Rangers packs I see now used. Of course, we realized then one does not have to carry 6 rolls of bandaging, 20 4x4's, ring cutters, window punches, 4 liters of fluid, etc.. to treat someone initially. Fortunately, we just changed our "packs" this last week and reduced to about half of what we used to carry.

Just give me enough to start the treatment and secure the airway, until I get them to the EMS unit.

R/r 911

• 4 months later...

Alot of the EMS agencies here in New Zealand are using the soft packs which in some ways are good but then is it just a time of "Oh here is a pocket, lets cram it" etc, alot of the paramedics (EMT-I's) here that I get along with make mention of the cases and wish they were still in use. We had the plastic Orange ones and had all you needed in it, with the room for the BVM's etc in the bottom. Alot of people have them as their own kits in their POV.

And I agree with the sentiment in this thread, put a star of life or the word medical on something the price qaudruples lol

Ain't that the truth. I still have a thirty-year old Plano 747 and 727 (brown, not orange. I'm not that stupid) of my own in the garage. And yeah, I still prefer them over any soft pack I have ever seen for ALS.

I've never seen the orange box with the lights before though. Looks too small to me. I do remember those HUGE, cheap, thin plastic, barn-door style boxes (orange or blue) that Dyna Med and others sold that was so flimsy. They had a clip on compartment in the bottom for larger items, and three trays on each side of the main box that most wankers stuffed full of ammonia inhalants and ring cutters and alcohol swabs they would never use.

Dyna Med sucked. Good riddance.

I loved the 747 boxes, until you had to carry them up numerous flights of stairs.

I like using the Flambeau PM 2072. Compact, but I could fit everything in there.

Bags aren't too bad, as long as they are designed right.

Somewhere in my basement, I still have a Plano 727 box, in orange. I don't know if it has any sort of stock in it.

I also used to have a Dyna Med "Trauma One" box. The "Trauma Two" had the clip on lower storage box area. I said "used to", as someone broke into my ambulance while we were returning a patient to a nursing home, and stole it. The box didn't want to stay latched closed, and I had a "jewelry box" lock on it to keep it shut, and the thief might have thought it was a drug box. Someone on North Portland Avenue in Brooklyn must have been disappointed to only find the drug "Syrup of Ipecac". This was sometime back 1975 to 1977.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.