Looking for new tricks to play on new hires

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one. Don't be a idiot. Playing tricks on the new hires is juvenile and belongs in the Fire Department. You want to be recognised as a professional? Act like one.

Unless of course you are a FF. Then by all means, carry on the tradition.

Okay, Jake, then what are you supposed to do when you get some 21 know it all a-hole who is ready to lay down the law when they first arrive at the station? Have a meaningful sit down and discussion about their behavior? Perhaps call in a counselor so everyones feelings on the subject can be heard? Screw that,

Okay, Jake, then what are you supposed to do when you get some 21 know it all a-hole who is ready to lay down the law when they first arrive at the station? Have a meaningful sit down and discussion about their behavior?
It'd work better than playing a prank on them. If they have an attitude problem, imagine what tricks they'll be playing as soon as they feel comfortable enough. Instead he SHOULD have a sit down and be clear that the attitude's not going to fly.

I'm down for playing tricks on each other...if all are down...not on the new guy, unless it's seriously little non-demeaning stuff. You don't want to break trust with the new guys or the trainees.

Having said that, I've heard some funny stories about FTO's telling their trainees they need to do a NOAA report to dispatch on the tac channel. They switch to the weather radio channel and wait until they get to our area, then take notes on weather, and report it all when they go in-service. If that happened to me during training, though, my impression of the company would decrease by about half.

Just one. Don't be a idiot. Playing tricks on the new hires is juvenile and belongs in the Fire Department. You want to be recognised as a professional? Act like one.

Unless of course you are a FF. Then by all means, carry on the tradition.

Jake, I would like you to remember that there are firefighters on these forums, while most of the time the jokes about firefighters are all in good fun, as a firefighter, I feel that you are calling us juvinile and imature. You can be professional and still have a good time.

playing tricks on the new guy can be fun yes it can but remember that in this day of political correctness and don't hurt anyone's feelings you need to realize that if the prank is of a nasty or upsetting nature you can be slapped with a accusation of being a hostile workplace and if your name is attached to this accusation then you can bet your bottom dollar that your HR department or your boss is gonna cut you loose faster than they will let the newbie go.

Just a little reminder that one man's funny joke and prank is another man's door to a lawsuit.

Jake, I would like you to remember that there are firefighters on these forums, while most of the time the jokes about firefighters are all in good fun, as a firefighter, I feel that you are calling us juvinile and imature. You can be professional and still have a good time.

Just so you know, two of the 'Bravest' here are in the pokey for recently lighting one of the firehouses doors on fire, and were videotaped laughing and giggling while commiting arson. If the shoe fits, and all.

Actually, I think incidents like this serve to illustrate my point. The biggest problem the FDNY faced after 9/11 was the massive retirement of senior personnel. When there are no senior people to provide guidance, or the senior people are unable or unwilling to provide guidance, the result is an overall breakdown in discipline, and I don't think having an episode of Dr. Phil with the newbies is the answer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.