How long to wait to become a Medic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don,t rush right in to Paramedic school without some experience. There is a thing called book smart and street smart. Learn how to treat your patients, experience some injuries and illnesses before being "thrown into the trick bag" and becoming overwhelmed with any particular case and having the burden to be prompt on recognition and treatment. I've been a medic for about 14 years following about 2yrs as an EMT and the experience my time as an EMT afforded me paid off significantly during Paramedic class and my career as a medic. Cases were alot easier to recognize and the ease of maintaining composure was a benefit.

Don,t rush right in to Paramedic school without some experience. There is a thing called book smart and street smart. Learn how to treat your patients, experience some injuries and illnesses before being "thrown into the trick bag" and becoming overwhelmed with any particular case and having the burden to be prompt on recognition and treatment. I've been a medic for about 14 years following about 2yrs as an EMT and the experience my time as an EMT afforded me paid off significantly during Paramedic class and my career as a medic. Cases were alot easier to recognize and the ease of maintaining composure was a benefit.

Bad advice. Go straight to Paramedic as soon as possible.

Why is EMS the only health care field that I can think of that requires their students to spend time as a glorified first aid'er before accepting them? Doctors have a bigger trick bag then paramedics, yet they accept students right out of college, and in some cases [bS/MD combined programs] right out of high school.

I went from basic to Paramedic school without any work experience as an EMT B. The program I am in puts a lot of emphasis on clinicals. We work shifts in the ED, OR, CCU and OB over and above our required ride time. We have over 320 hours in clinicals and and 216 on the ambulance. I feel very confident that this will give me more and better experience than any I could have gained as a transport EMT. I am not sorry that I went directly to paramedic school.

I guess the amount of practice time as an EMT would depend on the type of service you can get in to as an EMT. A slow paced, low volume service might require more time, where as a fast paced busy 911 system will afford alot of experience in a short time. I have always recommended at least 1 year to "get your feet wet" while under the proctorship of an experienced partner, preferrably a medic to offer guidance and education.