Additional Radios Used?

Actually, I don't like the idea of using FRS portables for team comms. It would be far better to put additional channels in your EMS service portables. FRS portables are toys, not tools.

There is another "when pigs fly" proposition. The people who make such decisions for many services are completely clueless about communications. And like most every other public safety agency, they live in their own little world, completely oblivious of the need for interoperability. If a medic or two says it would be nice to have a direct frequency or two for scene usage, they get looked at like they have three eyes, or have just accused the manager of incompetence. Forget getting any kind of positive response to that.

Once I moved from a rural, county based service that had all sorts of commo options (full interoperability with all agencies, plus direct channels) to an urban system who honestly had no clue that EMS could operate anywhere other than the 10 MED channels. I carried two VHF-Hi walkie talkies in my duty bag. They had all the PD, hospital, helicopter and inter-agency frequencies in them, plus several direct channels for comms between my partner and I. Frequently I would have FD or a supervisor come to me on a scene to borrow one. But I still got called a wanker. :roll:

Just to throw another log into this fire, what about a personal radio for Marine Band, especially when your agency doesn't run boats, and have to depend on local Coast Guard, LEO or FD run boats, to coordinate between in-the-water and land-based services?

For Fire/Ems calls, my dept uses their respective radios. However during a SAR & Fire Dept Sponsored events we will switch to using the FRS Radios. It is mainly because our Dept cannot afford to equip all members with a FD/Ems Radio. We have had no problems using the FRS Radios simply because we are mainly in a rural area.

• 1 month later...

In Minnesota we are going to a statewide 800MhZ P25 Digitally Trunked Radio system and one of the thigns that they are putting on the radios is somethign called a SOA or Scene of Action channel which is a 800Mhx Analog channel which is simply Portable to Portable, non-repeatered channels which are meant to be used in the situation that you get seperated form your partner.

another thing that we are putting in with this new system is each agency is getting about 2-10 event/Tac/Ops channels which you can have dispatch assign you if you think you may encounter this situation.

I'm a technician class amateur license.

GMRS is illegal to use without a license (and illegal to use FRS channels 1-7 with a GMRS radio that is above 0.5W without a license) and also illegal to use as a radio for work. Again, nobody EVER gets a GMRS license and the FCC NEVER goes after anyone for not having one (unless you REALLY piss someone off repeatedly). 99% of people don't even know they need a license for their GMRS. It's silly really, it's just a $75 fee and paperwork. Why even bother? I don't. Really just FYI.

I have a half dozen of these GMRS radios, and a base unit for hunting out west. I paid 85 for the base, and 45 per set of two radios... The FCC will have to come and slap my fingers before I pay $75 bucks for a license. The package doesn't say anything about it, and you can buy them anywhere... I don't see how it would be possible for them to enforce any of the FRS or GMRS laws. Especially when some of the older FRS models go for less than 20 bucks. Aren't going to find many people who are willing to pay 75 bucks. If it's that big of a deal, the fee should be included when the radio is purchased, and it should also come with prefiled paperwork.

I find it disheartening to see that Public Service people would be so callous as to rules that they would blatantly disregard the fact they need a license. On all GMRS radios that are sold in the "Bubble Packs" found in places like Wal Mart and Target, etc, there most definitely is a statement both on the package and in the instructions that state an FCC license is required to operate on GMRS.

It may be small print, but its there just the same.

I am a former Fireman, Policeman and Ambulance driver/crew member. I am now Active Duty Military, a HAM and a licensed GMRS user.

I want to point out that those who are Amateur Licensees who use GMRS without a license, are you aware that if you are caught using GMRS without a license, you can loose your Amateur License as well?

Yes, facts are facts and thousands of people are clueless that they need a GMRS license, and those that do know, many don't care. Its a sad fact, but a fact I can not argue.

I, for one, paid my fee and got my license because as a Public Service volunteer, I feel I am not above the law. The rules say you need one, period.

Don't be naive though. People DO get caught and people DO get fined. There have been several this past year on the FCC website under the NOV/NAL's where the FCC has fined unlicensed GMRS use. One case in particular was the Pembroke Mall in Virginia Beach, VA. They were slapped with a $10,000 fine for unlicensed use. Sure, the actual violation covered more than just GMRS, but it was their illegal use of GMRS that tipped the FCC off to their multiple flagrant violations.

On the subject of FRS use, I have seen some say that businesses and organizations are not authorized use of FRS. This is not true. ANYONE can use FRS. Even the military (as outlined in the NTIA RedBook). However, GMRS is only for use by individuals and their families. The only time you will hear a business on GMRS is if they are grandfathered and have maintained their license since before the rule changes back in the 80's.

Although it is not illegal for Public Service personnel such as EMT's or Firemen, it is not wise to do so due to the fact that it seems almost everyone and their cousin have one and are easily jammed by inconsiderate kids and adults.

• 2 months later...

Try telling the 300 plus members I have, most of whom are public safety folks that they can't use GMRS. With a license and repeaters, its a wonderful tool to communicate with family and friends. And we all have licenses.....

www.laggroup.com

Figured I'd open up this thread again. Thanks AI4ME for your support of the licensing aspect. One gets the license if one wants the FULL benefits of GMRS.

I have a half dozen of these GMRS radios, and a base unit for hunting out west. I paid 85 for the base, and 45 per set of two radios... The FCC will have to come and slap my fingers before I pay $75 bucks for a license.

Ahhh... so your a pirate eh? Do you hunt without a license too? Why bother with a hunting license when there are so many animals anywhere...... (ridiculous logic isn't it?)

The package doesn't say anything about it, and you can buy them anywhere...

Hmmmm.. most packages DO say it somewhere. Sometimes its in the fine print on the back of the package. Regardless, it most definitely says it in the instruction manual. Lemme guess.... you never read the instructions did you?

I don't see how it would be possible for them to enforce any of the FRS or GMRS laws. Especially when some of the older FRS models go for less than 20 bucks. Aren't going to find many people who are willing to pay 75 bucks. If it's that big of a deal, the fee should be included when the radio is purchased, and it should also come with prefiled paperwork.

Sad but true. Hard to enforce with the bubble packs. But then again.... you could always just stick to the FRS only channels and stay legal. Its a moral and ethical thing.

Your right for the last part as well. It should be included, or at least include an application form in the packaging. I would even go as far as saying they should lower the cost of the license to make it more enticing for people to do the right thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.