Additional Radios Used?

As a sort of parallel to the "Radio Frequencies Used" string, I open a discussion as to other radios used. By this, I don't mean Motorola, Johnson, Bendix/King, or Samsung.

On some scenes where I know my partner and I can be separated, like a fire scene, I carry 2 Family Radio Service "walkie talkies"(*), so my partner and I can remain in touch, without interfering with any on scene communications between all the EMS units on scene with the on scene supervisor, or units on scene and the (in my case) Queens East FDNY EMS dispatcher ("Yo! Joe! Where did you disappear to?").

In my radio-as-hobby magazines, the editors at "Popular Communications" say that using FRS is using a group of frequencies that is too crowded, and lacking any security of what is transmitted. However, Editor A. J. Heightman, of JEMS feels that FRS is a viable option for multiple agency responses to an incident, because (using NYC's emergency services as a model here) FD will be on VHF, PD will be on UHF, EMS will be on UHF, UHF-T, and 800-900 MHz "Trunked" and Direct, and the Medical Examiner's Morgue wagons are on HF. The independent VAC and VFDs are on an assortment of all of these, plus some are only using Cellphones and Nextel type "Walkie Talkie" features on the Cellphones. The FRS portables are inexpensive, and on scene agency commanders can have prearranged FRS channels for inter-agency ops.

I also know that the FDNYs "Haz-Mat 1" has a CB radio, as they might get further information over the air from civilians on "Truckers' 19" while enroute to a job.

HOWEVER, NYS DoH regulations, without quoting specific chapter and verse, does specifically say that all ambulances must have some 2 way communications radio, and specifies that the radio will not be a Citizen's Band radio (nothing said about having a CB in addition).

And, as to inter-agency communications on FRS, considering how many of these radios are in the hands of children: If you were a 9 year old, at the scene of a Multi Casualty Incident, and talking with your friends about what you see, on your portable 2 way radio, you would listen to an official sounding voice over the air, telling you to "get off the air?"

Simply put, as a former 9 year old, "It ain't gonna happen!"

So, in addition to your agency issued two-way radio, which might or might not have capability to talk to another agency, do you carry any other means of 2 way radio communications, either on your emergency vehicle, or on your person, for personal use on a scene? (Please exclude from your answer any scanner type radios)

(*) Trying to verify that the term "Walkie Talkie" might be copyright property of some radio manufacturer, hence most of us talk about portable 2 way radios as "Handi-Talkies".

Regarding FRS...

I've seen a Paramedic using FRS to keep in touch with his EMT-B partner while working with a private service. I'm not sure how wide spread FRS use is in that particular service is but they had very few portable radios relying instead on Alphanumeric pagers, cellphones and the vehicle mounted VHF radios.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me clarify my question: Do you, or your agency, sanctioned by your agency or not, use any non agency 2-way radios for personal communications with your partner, or others on any particular call, while on the job?

Also, do you, again, either placed by the agency or yourself, have a CB radio in the cab of your emergency vehicle?

Technically illegal to use FRS in that manner. Of course, pigs would fly before you got in trouble... just remember there are a million times more FRS radios in the hands of the public than there are scanners.

Technically illegal to use FRS in that manner. Of course, pigs would fly before you got in trouble... just remember there are a million times more FRS radios in the hands of the public than there are scanners.

I also now have General Mobile Radio Service portables, which include the FRS frequencies. Anybody have further info on GMRS, aside from needing a license from the FCC (I'm WQDC443) to use the frequencies?

Also, I'm a "Scannest", meaning I use so-called Police Scanners, and "registered" as Short Wave Listening/Monitoring Station "KNY2SC." (Unless you have purchased from CRB Communications, don't bother looking up that "call sign.")

I also now have General Mobile Radio Service portables, which include the FRS frequencies. Anybody have further info on GMRS, aside from needing a license from the FCC (I'm WQDC443) to use the frequencies?

Also, I'm a "Scannest", meaning I use so-called Police Scanners, and "registered" as Short Wave Listening/Monitoring Station "KNY2SC." (Unless you have purchased from CRB Communications, don't bother looking up that "call sign.")

I'm a technician class amateur license.

GMRS is illegal to use without a license (and illegal to use FRS channels 1-7 with a GMRS radio that is above 0.5W without a license) and also illegal to use as a radio for work. Again, nobody EVER gets a GMRS license and the FCC NEVER goes after anyone for not having one (unless you REALLY piss someone off repeatedly). 99% of people don't even know they need a license for their GMRS. It's silly really, it's just a $75 fee and paperwork. Why even bother? I don't. Really just FYI.

The GMRS license is now up to $80.

I'm a Tech ham- KC5SAS and licensed for GMRS- WQBY447.

I also started and run the Yahoo Group, Scan Baton Rouge. I'm sitting here at my home with 4 scanners going as I type this. I also have a radio tuned to the local GMRS repeater so I can chat with a buddy who works nights sometimes.

I don't use 27MHz CB radio.

The GMRS license is now up to $80.

I'm a Tech ham- KC5SAS and licensed for GMRS- WQBY447.

I also started and run the Yahoo Group, Scan Baton Rouge. I'm sitting here at my home with 4 scanners going as I type this. I also have a radio tuned to the local GMRS repeater so I can chat with a buddy who works nights sometimes.

I don't use 27MHz CB radio.

My T7200 will do GMRS repeaters but I've NEVER heard a GMRS repeater. Know where I can get a nationwide list of those?

KC0SGF

I echo Summit's request, as I hear some unit on a repeater "output" GMRS channel, identifying as a unit of possibly either Yonkers or Westchester County Red Cross Disaster Services, trying to "chase off" units I am unable to hear, who appear to be on the channel local to this guy. Besides, I'd just like to know what the "input" GMRS channels are, both to listen to them, and to avoid transmitting on them by accident with my little GMRS portables.

Oh, by the way, my twin GMRS portables have a "scan" function, which will read out what transceive channels, of the 22, and privacy codes, of the 34, they are picking up.

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.