[color=blue][/color] Blue light or no blue light?

Has anyone else had this problem when they joined a department?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my town its blue/red ppolice blue/white fire/ems responders and amber dpw trucks..as long as we dont use red were fine.. and if u have red you have a special permit in extension to a recular one.. but i wont be imitating police anytime soon lol

nick

Back when I lived in NJ, you needed approval from the mayor or police chief to run a blue light. But that was many years ago, and the other end of Morris County.

I got rid of my blue light years ago. Didn't use it, didn't need it, didn't want it. I am now paid, don't need it. My wife still volunteers and doesn't want one.

Now, here in PA, there are too many people with red and blue lights. They cause confusion with the driving public, and too many people use them as an excuse to drive fast. As UASF said, if you go to the scene, then use it as traffic warning, and control.

Here, we have fire police who are allowed to use red lights and sirens. I don't understand why.

yeah... the chief of your department has to sign and the mayor..then it is sent to the motor vehicle services... but they wont let me use one so now im stuck with a 150 light..oh and everyone elses permits are ancient

Does it really matter if you have a light or not?? If you live less than 5 miles from the station and youre just starting there, I wouldnt even be worried about it in the least bit. But if you were more than 10 mi. from the station and have been there for at least 18 mos and were becoming well respected and your squad members started relying on you a bit more as a commited member then yes I would only BEGIN to petition for a lightbar. But as it was stated earlier, it only makes you look like a whacker and rookie. I know a guy that is a Paramedic/FF, when he first started out, he had all the bells and whistles on his truck, then when the rookie-itis was cured and he realized really how often he actually needed them, he took them off and sold them to another incoming rookie. He lived 20mins away, if he really wanted to respond off duty, running his L/S for 20min through the hills really didnt make that much difference as by the time he reached the station, the other crew members had already suited up and left the station and were enroute to the scene. Its embarassing to have all of that stuff and still not make it to the call in a reasonable time. Think about it. Save your money for something thats going to carry you alot further with your squad - extra training and education. They will respect you more for trying to learn.

-Dix

Not an attack on your agency, but, can I be in the pool for when the first person is going to be busted for misuse of the light on their POV? Human nature says someone is going to mess it up for every one else. It's probably a subroutine on "Murphy's Laws."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.