[color=blue][/color] Blue light or no blue light?

Has anyone else had this problem when they joined a department?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Hey,

I volunteer for EMS in the Morris County Area (EHFAS). I am a new member on the first aid squad for about 4-5 months now. All NJ residents (i am not sure about other states) are allowed to use a Blue Light while responding to the fire/first aid building. I have looked into the laws and regulations to own and operate a blue light in the state of NJ. They state that a member in good withstanding of a paid/volunteer first aid, fire or rescue department are allowed to display a blue warning light. The member in charge or issuing a blue light permit on my squad says I do not need one, and that I live fairly close to the building and it is not necessary. I wanted to know if anyone knew the full specifics on if the issuing officer had control wither or not a member could have a blue light permit and display a blue light while responding to a call. State laws mention nothing about this. I am under the assumption that the state has created this for all members of fire/first aid to use while responding to an emergency. Also, arenÂ’t you required to display a blue light no matter where you are coming from within the town you volunteer for?

If anyone knows anything about this please leave a comment. I would appreciate it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The state most likely take's the stance that they permit you to have a blue light under a set of circumstances, but that doesn't mean you individual squad will allow you to have it.

Its sort of like the state leaving it up to the local hands to decide.

You may want to appeal to a trusted friend, or the Blue Light God's superior to see if you can convince them to let you respond with one. Otherwise you run the risk of pissing off some people and getting the boot from your squad altogether.

If your department says you don't need one, you don't need one. Trust me, they don't get you there any quicker. Besides if you push the issue, you're just likely to piss the officers at your department off (and still not get what you want) and that is the last thing you want to do, especially as a new member.

Good luck at your new department.

The only reason I have a lightbar on my truck is for when I am stopped on accident scenes. It does some small part of giving warning to approaching drivers- people here are generally very good about moving over or slowing way down because of how stringently enforced the law about that is.

Unless I really, really need to I don't turn the light on while moving.

I voted no because where I'm from the only agencies allowed to have BLUE lights are Law Enforcement. If you don't have arrest powers in this State and you have a blue colored lens on a light you could go to jail if caught with it.

You want to have some real fun? Go over to Firehouse.com and start a thread about putting emergency lights on your POV. They LOVE that over there. :twisted:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.