Helpful Hints for SKILLED Nursing Facilities

AnthonyM83

Please if you know of even one of these piss palaces that actually has one single skilled staff member not including maintenance tell me where it is and I will travel there to see it for myself.

Come to VA I will give you a tour :!: :!: :!:

Marty that was funny Gezz you crack me up. (Atleast you didnt mention the smurf thing!)

Ruff is right I mean there are good places and bad places its like any other job there are good and bad even in EMS.

I would start a When EMS comes the Nursing Home please do this thread but you guys would kick my tail :!: :!:

But Anthony does have a point, though some nurses do not give a report. I have seen it I have actually had squads ask me on the way out the door with patients questions. But Anthony the MRSA thing you all don't need to know well you, but if you take BSI you shouldn't worry. Unless its airborne which then the mask and gowns and gloves outside the residents door should be a good hint that something is wrong. But I always tell the squads if they have had it in the past same with C-Diff MRSA or any other DISEASE like VD or anything but that is just me, some nurses as bad as i hate to admit this probaly wouldn't know the difference between MRSA and HERPES anyway. (my "bagging" story comes to mind!)

Its not a perfect system in the nursing homes But where it a perfect place now if you find it I would love to see that one, maybe the good captain can SEND me a ticket to FLY there. But I know when i leave my Job at the end of the day or night or whatever the case is I know that I have done the best I can to take care of them and meet their needs.

Codes in a NH suck.... which brings me to a question: Do the nursing homes you all frequent have AED's or a monitor? I mean we don't its a private facality for profit and the state doesnt require us to have one. I get so dang aggervated when we dont have what we need and care is delayed.

Str8: see this is what I am saying THERE is good and bad everywhere in every profession.

(note to all you guys that thought I was going to beat poor Anthony up for this thread just remember this it's not over till the fat lady sings and I have laryngitis right now and can not sing :!: :twisted: )

TERR

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory, everyone takes full universal precautions all the time, but in reality it does help us to know when there's a communicable disease. We often have to get very close (like bear hug close) to the patients, leaning over them and the gurney to wrap them up on it, and we'd like to know.

I've only responded to one nursing home that wasn't doing 2-3 of the things on the list...so even if there are good nursing homes out there, it's common enough to require a list :lol:

Ah , some things just don't change over the years , though you'd think they would . I'd like to add a few more to the list ;

1. Please don't put the pt. who fell who now has a head injury or poss. hip fx. back in bed prior to our arrival .

2. when we're heading out the door with a CTD ( circling the drain pt. ) isn't the time to tell us the paperwork isn't ready .

3. COPD pts have an aversion to lying flat .

4. Please don't let excited philipino CNA's give us report . No offense , but you get gibberish like chickenbreath for she can't breathe and sea sores for siezures .

5. In board and cares , if it's over 100 degrees , and the a/c is out in the pt's room , please don't let them stay in there with the door shut . By the way , wool suits aren't a good idea in this instance either .

I can add a few! I work with a service who does NET's (non emergency transports) for 7 nursing homes in Pittsburgh and a borough of 5,000, so ive seen some dumb shit...

1. Please call when patient gets sick and not til next shift so when you call the medics, the current RN or LPN says "I don't know whats wrong, I just got here" or my favorite "Im not from this floor" or "This patient just got here the other day, so i dont know him/her"

2. Also please dont put the patient on a Non-Rebreather at 4lpm, so when u get there they are in respiratory failure because the reservoir bag suffocated them!

3. And finally, when I get there please dont be filing your nails or talkin to your homegirl on your cell phone while the patient is blue and my paperwork is incomplete.

Yes Ive had all the above happen to me already

1. When you call us screaming because the patient has snoring respirations, make sure the patient isn't snoring because he's asleep!

2. When we go in on an altered LOC, don't tell us the vitals have been stable for the past 6 hours when you haven't taken them in 6 hours.

Please if you know of even one of these piss palaces that actually has one single skilled staff member not including maintenance tell me where it is and I will travel there to see it for myself.

the ones you don't keep getting called to unless you do admission to acute hospital transfers...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.