Former Firefighter/Paramedic Turns SWAT Doctor in Dallas

I concur with Brentoli. If you want to be a SWAT Medic, you should be a cop.

I would not say that this is how it "should" be, by any means. That would be like saying firemonkeys make the best medics. Ideally, the SWAT medic should be a medical professional first, and a cop (or firemonkey) only as a matter of fact. But I do agree that, in order to have the best chance of actually getting that job, your primary focus needs to be on the primary profession, not the side job.

Of course this is the very opposite of what it takes to get a fire job these days, where so many employers want you to be a medic first.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of my superiors is a pa state constable and has been one for a few years. is now a swat member and a medic, he was a medic first. he is also one of the people thats deployed in louisiana, on the strike team. he does a few other side job items but, it is true first be the medic know what ya gotta do do what ya know, then if ya want try to be ther swat medic try you may not make it and then again it may not be your "bag", if you do make it. think it out weight the pros and cons, first talk with people and then see what ya wanna do. my .02 cents

one of my superiors is a pa state constable and has been one for a few years. is now a swat member and a medic, he was a medic first. he is also one of the people thats deployed in louisiana, on the strike team. he does a few other side job items but, it is true first be the medic know what ya gotta do do what ya know, then if ya want try to be ther swat medic try you may not make it and then again it may not be your "bag", if you do make it. think it out weight the pros and cons, first talk with people and then see what ya wanna do. my .02 cents

Thank you, your information was much more helpful than most of the other posts on here. I was just curious about the job and if anyone out there knew more about it. I don't know why people feel that they have to rag on people who are in here looking for information. Maybe some napoleon syndrome going on with some of the posters I guess.

I'm curious how much formal psychological education you've managed to acquire in your fourteen years in EMS?

You talk like you actually know something about it, but I'm not buying it.

I'm curious how much formal psychological education you've managed to acquire in your fourteen years in EMS?

You talk like you actually know something about it, but I'm not buying it.

I have actually had some experience with this issue. I have worked in various psychiatric facilities and I have also worked with many "paramedics" like you (of course using the term loosley) who got the patch but didn't know what it was for. They would often times try to stop bleeding with it.

I have actually had some experience with this issue. I have worked in various psychiatric facilities and I have also worked with many "paramedics" like you (of course using the term loosley) who got the patch but didn't know what it was for. They would often times try to stop bleeding with it.

In other words, you have no formal education in the topic. Being an orderly doesn't equate to an education in psychology. In fact, apparently you have FAILED to get any formal education in EMS in fourteen years either. Fourteen years, and the best you can claim is a three week first aid course? Why would anyone let you into their paramedic school when you have shown not the slightest professional dedication in fourteen years? The time to try and improve yourself was over a decade ago. It's too late now. You already think you know it all. Even the best school would play hell trying to wash away your bad habits and bad attitude. The smart ones will take a new EMT grad over you any day of the week, as they should. Just like medical school, leave the slots for those who show real commitment and intellectual potential.

You come here trying to play amateur psychologist when you are barely even qualified to drive an ambulance? Where do people get this kind of nerve?

In other words, you have no formal education in the topic. Being an orderly doesn't equate to an education in psychology. In fact, apparently you have FAILED to get any formal education in EMS in fourteen years either. Fourteen years, and the best you can claim is a three week first aid course? Why would anyone let you into their paramedic school when you have shown not the slightest professional dedication in fourteen years? The time to try and improve yourself was over a decade ago. It's too late now. You already think you know it all. Even the best school would play hell trying to wash away your bad habits and bad attitude. The smart ones will take a new EMT grad over you any day of the week, as they should. Just like medical school, leave the slots for those who show real commitment and intellectual potential.

You come here trying to play amateur psychologist when you are barely even qualified to drive an ambulance? Where do people get this kind of nerve?

Well... judging from the fact that you have posted more than a two line reply it appears that I have struck a nerve with some of my postings. Apparently something has hit home with you, and hopefully you will refresh your brain and figure out why you became a medic.

What I don't understand is why you are so fast to be-little people who want information on here and come on here for just that. When you make an attack on someone on a posting board it just shows how little you respect people. Either that or you are one of those internet tough guys that couldn't do that in person. You remind me of a few of the fire captains I have had to correct in the field when they have attempted to dump an overdose patient at a Detox facility... showing just how much they retained from paramedic school.

It's no wonder people don't like to work in the field if people like you are there.

Wow. In the 3 whole days you've been here, you:

a) failed to do even a preliminary search, which would have yielded quite a bit of information on the topic in several threads in this section.

B) pissed all over the responses of several other members, who actually do this job you wish to find out about.

c) copped an attitude with one of the most experienced members of this board, who knows quite a bit about the subject.

Interesting way to get things started. Don't unpack your suitcase.

'zilla

Wow. In the 3 whole days you've been here, you:

a) failed to do even a preliminary search, which would have yielded quite a bit of information on the topic in several threads in this section.

B) pissed all over the responses of several other members, who actually do this job you wish to find out about.

c) copped an attitude with one of the most experienced members of this board, who knows quite a bit about the subject.

Interesting way to get things started. Don't unpack your suitcase.

'zilla

If you read the threads I was actually looking for information... but with the attitudes on this board it shows that the people here aren't worth the effort of talking to at least not in these threads.

[*]Become edumacated on topics besides emergency care (If you read the story, many SWAT medics/docs are these guys trainers, family doctor, confidant, ect) (Life time)

[*]Get a Bachelors Degree (2 - 4 years)

[*]Go through the Acadamey (6 months)

[*]Get hired by the department (6 months-1 year)

[*]Go through department training (6 months - 1 year)

[*]Put in your time (1 - 3 years)

[*]Get on SWAT team (1 - 5 years of trying out)

[*]Put in your time (1 - 5 years)

[*]Become SWAT Medic

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you have to realize, you don't just wake up on Monday and say I will be a SWAT Medic, and have the job on Friday.

I thought that post and firedoc's were actually pretty helpful ones... Invaluable actually...more so than the one you quoted by itself. That info only helped once Firedoc and Brentoli had posted background on how to be a SWAT medic.

Thank you, your information was much more helpful than most of the other posts on here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.